Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I love these
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Randal
Here is a picture of one of the cookies I got back today.

The thing I like was that it came out exactly as requested. Should look pretty cool on my car.

Warren (Accurate Power Coating) is a good guy.

Trekkor
Nice drooley.gif

KT
nine14cats
Cookies are just about the best deal going on earth...and when they get a high quality re-finish.... smilie_pokal.gif

They're going to look great on the Raby powered sled!

Bill P.
Aaron Cox
bill, i ended up with your cookies (black and yellow)

and randal, mine are being coated the same color soon sad.gif
McMark
Those are GREAT! I'm a sucker for satin finish. thumb3d.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
Looking very nice!

It'd be best to remove the coating inside the lug bolt landings so you get good metal-to-metal contact when you bolt 'em up.
Randal
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Jul 19 2006, 11:10 PM) *

Looking very nice!

It'd be best to remove the coating inside the lug bolt landings so you get good metal-to-metal contact when you bolt 'em up.

Yup... just trying to think how to do that without cutting into the wheel.

Maybe some sand paper around the male side of the lug bolt....
jr91472
what is that color called?
Randal
QUOTE(jr91472 @ Jul 20 2006, 07:34 AM) *

what is that color called?

Warren at Accurate Power Coating did the work. I tried calling him, but as usual he is probably in the back doing work so can't get an answer to your color question.

I'll be going back up there in a few days and will ask him.

Here is Warren's number: (650) 802-8180
Joe Bob
Hard to Fuch up powder coat.....it's the prep that will kill ya. Hate to be a Killjoy but the painter should have masked off the holes for the lugs and the valve stem.

Gonna be a beeeeyotch to scuff off the powder in the holes.
bondo
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 20 2006, 07:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Jul 19 2006, 11:10 PM) *

Looking very nice!

Yup... just trying to think how to do that without cutting into the wheel.

Maybe some sand paper around the male side of the lug bolt....

Maybe some valve gringing compound and a steel lug nut modded to be chucked into a drill?

When I powdercoat wheels, I just set a lug nut in each hole when I'm spraying the powder, then take em out before baking. I don't see any problem with the valve stem hole being coated, as long as you can still get a valve stem into it.
John
Those look like the ones I rattle canned. I know the powdercoating will be many times more durable, but I wanted to prove to myself that I liked them that way before committing to powder.

Once powder coated, it is difficult to change without burning off the old powder.
jasons
QUOTE((*)(*) @ Jul 20 2006, 08:05 AM) *

Hard to Fuch up powder coat.....it's the prep that will kill ya. Hate to be a Killjoy but the painter should have masked off the holes for the lugs and the valve stem.

One would think that anyways. I had a set of BMW wheels powdercoated a while back. The day I picked them up, I was all happy and proud showing them to a co-worker and I bumped my belt buckle with them. Wouldn't you know it chipped? I got a deal on the powdercoating coz I did it through my work so I really had no re-course on the deal.

Are you talking about scuffing the seating surface for the lugs? Can't you just re-seat the lugs a couple of times to crush the powdercoat?
Randal
QUOTE(jasons @ Jul 20 2006, 10:16 AM) *

One would think that anyways. I had a set of BMW wheels powdercoated a while back. The day I picked them up, I was all happy and proud showing them to a co-worker and I bumped my belt buckle with them. Wouldn't you know it chipped? I got a deal on the powdercoating coz I did it through my work so I really had no re-course on the deal.

Are you talking about scuffing the seating surface for the lugs? Can't you just re-seat the lugs a couple of times to crush the powdercoat?

Actually that is a good point.

One would think that if you torque down the lugs to specification that the power coat would be crushed a bit and eventually wear off.

Probably some of the ME's here on the site would have a view on this.

jasons
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 20 2006, 10:40 AM) *

QUOTE(jasons @ Jul 20 2006, 10:16 AM) *

Actually that is a good point.

One would think that if you torque down the lugs to specification that the power coat would be crushed a bit and eventually wear off.

Probably some of the ME's here on the site would have a view on this.

I don't think you will wear the powdercoat off. But... If you only seat those lugs once, I bet they will come loose.

BTW those wheels make me reconsider my feelings about cookie cutters.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Jul 19 2006, 07:01 PM) *

Cookies are just about the best deal going on earth...and when they get a high quality re-finish.... smilie_pokal.gif

They're going to look great on the Raby powered sled!

Bill P.

agree.gif

Super light rims that are decent width. Most people seem to want to toss them out. I have gotten sets for free over the years. Great track rims. driving.gif
Series9
I love Cookies on a 914. My coater calls that color "Solar Black". The RS has the same on her wheels.

I have found that the coating in the seat area for the lugs comes off on its own after a few mount-dismount cycles.

It's never been a problem for me.
Aaron Cox
im gonna go "gun metal grey" on my set...

and i too, have scored several deals on cookies....
Air_Cooled_Nut
My friend is running POLISHED cookie cutters on his Type 3...very nice looking!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.