Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How did you run your oil lines?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PRS914-6
I'm getting closer to installing my -6 oil cooler and lines. I have seen numerous ways of running the lines incl through the longs, under the rockers etc. but I have not decided yet. If you would comment on how you ran your lines and the positive and negatives of the end results, it would make a good thread and go perfect with the recent oil cooler thread.. Pictures would be helpful.
Aaron Cox
i did mine under the rocker panels....

i would do heater tubes next time, as they are safer from elements, and less cutting of tub....
DanT
Mine go under gas tank up into heater down tube, behind speaker grills, into heater tubes, out into engine area to sandwich adapter...very clean.
My hoses actually run through the orginal flex heater hoses in the front cowl area and the area behind the speaker grill on the passenger side. From inside the car you see nothing out of the ordinary. also helps keep the heat from the hot oil out of passenger compartment.

Here is a pic of the front trunk area.
The opening you see that was cut in the bulk head was the only metal cut for the installation of the hoses themselves.
McMark
I've never found a solution that works really well and is really clean. Getting water/oil to the front trunk is a big pet peeve of mine. I have faith that there is a clean way, I just haven't found it. dry.gif

[edit] There are ways that work well, are safe and effective, but I'm always searching for something without compromise.
John
I went through the heater tubes on my latest conversion.

Check my BLOG for pics.

|
|
|
\/
PRS914-6
Part of this thread should include thermostats. Personally, I don't like to pump real cold oil all the way to the front of the car and back so I will mount mine on the firewall. In addition, it would take longer for the oil temp to get up due to the increased volume of 20 feet of hose. I do notice that lot's of people are mounting the thermostats in the front by the cooler. What am I missing here? There must be another reason for that......Please explain.

John, again nice work and well thought out for the spare tire use, something I would not go without. (I had 4 flats in 6 months with my 911)

I have already purchased the Getty fiberglass pieces that look like your metal pieces in the front but due to the size of my big cooler, I would have to hack it to death.

John
One of the reasons my thermostat is mounted up front is that my oil tank is up front. (so I'm pumping cool oil up that far anyway).

I don't drive mine in the winter months (no heater anyway), so really cold oil isn't a factor.

Other reassurances that I have that my method works is that our track car has been plumbed this way for 8+ years without issue. Oil temperatures are never above 200 (even in 100+ track days with 2 drivers) and are usually just above 180.

My spare (space saver) is bolted down in the alternate factory provided location in the rear trunk (that is what the threaded hole is for check it out). (Yes the top still fits)
East coaster
I ran mine through the heater tubes. I figure I can always change this later of I want. I really wanted a different solution, but when it came down to it this was most practical. I'd probably feel different if I wasn't running headers.

I also decided to put the thermostat on the firewall. I've heard arguments both ways (upfront vs near engine), and both arguments seemed to have merit, so I just went with what gave me clean routing. I used 2 1/2" Fernco caps at each of the entrance/exit point in the heater tubes and they work great. You just cut an undersized hole in the middle of the cap and pull the lines through. It seals the tube and centers the oil lines in the tube opening to keep it from chafing.

Click to view attachment

Where the lines exit the tubes, I brought up through heat tube holes and then down under the tank. I used 45 degree bulkhead fittings at the trunk wall, but this is probably particular to my cooler install.

Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
my thermostat is in the engine bay also....
Brando
Mine will go through the rockers and either use a 911 thermostat in the rear wheel-well (a-la-early 911) or run a mocal sandwich adapter.
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Brando @ Jul 20 2006, 05:31 PM) *

Mine will go through the rockers and either use a 911 thermostat in the rear wheel-well (a-la-early 911) or run a mocal sandwich adapter.

I thought about doing that since I had a 911 thermostat but buying the metric to AN fittings are pricey and I didn't like adding more fittings so I just bought a Mocal unit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.