Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel filters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HeloMech
I checked the picture on PP and the diagram shows a filter between the tank and the pump.. are there more? also, where is this one between the tank/pump?

thanks
kdfoust
QUOTE(HeloMech @ Jul 20 2006, 07:53 AM) *

I checked the picture on PP and the diagram shows a filter between the tank and the pump.. are there more? also, where is this one between the tank/pump?

thanks

I believe you'll find it in front of the rear passenger tire tucked up near the firewall if it is in the stock location.

Regards,
Kevin
Dave_Darling
I don't think any of the stock 914s had the filter there, Kevin.

Stock 914s only have one fuel filter per car. On a 73, the filter would originally have been on a couple of hooks off the side of the right motor mount "pod" on the body. Square plastic thingie with a fuel hose coming out of each end. If your pump has been relocated to the front of the car (a not-unpopular mod), you will have to trace the fuel lines to find it.

Two popular locations for filters on cars with front-mounted pumps are in the steering rack compartment, and under the tank in the fuel tank compartment. You would reach the latter by reaching through the ~6" wide round hole from the steering rack compartment.

--DD
HeloMech
Thanks, are these special filters or something you can pick up at autozone or VeeDub parts places.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(HeloMech @ Jul 20 2006, 09:30 AM) *

Thanks, are these special filters or something you can pick up at autozone or VeeDub parts places.

Not Autozone, or any other chain "auto parts" store. VW or foreign car parts stores. It's roughly square, and made of plastic. As the quality of these filters varies, and if you're not hung up on stock, get a filter made for a 1974-76 BMW 2002Tii. Round, metal, well made, FI compatible, uses the same 7 or 7.5mm hose, and about the same price. The Cap'n
kdfoust
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 20 2006, 09:21 AM) *

I don't think any of the stock 914s had the filter there, Kevin.

Stock 914s only have one fuel filter per car. On a 73, the filter would originally have been on a couple of hooks off the side of the right motor mount "pod" on the body. Square plastic thingie with a fuel hose coming out of each end. If your pump has been relocated to the front of the car (a not-unpopular mod), you will have to trace the fuel lines to find it.

Two popular locations for filters on cars with front-mounted pumps are in the steering rack compartment, and under the tank in the fuel tank compartment. You would reach the latter by reaching through the ~6" wide round hole from the steering rack compartment.

--DD

That's tuck up near the firewall in my book....
bob174
agree.gif
Joe Bob
Make sure it's a FI filter...don't use the cheapo 5psi carbed ones that are for the bug.
Dr Evil
What, no one is gonna mention the filter sock inside the tank?
HeloMech
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 20 2006, 11:07 AM) *

Huh? doh... can I get to that? or is that a draining and pulling the tank type of thing?

Thanks!!
Joe Bob
Yup....but it's a bad idea.....the lines under the tank can do bad.
kdfoust
QUOTE(HeloMech @ Jul 20 2006, 11:21 AM) *

Huh? doh... can I get to that? or is that a draining and pulling the tank type of thing?

Thanks!!

Nah, don't mess with it yet. Do the easy stuff first and the fuel filter is pretty easy.

Messing with the sock in the gas tank can lead to draining the tank
which could lead to removing the tank
which could lead to etching and refinishing the tank interior
which would lead to repainting the outside of the tank
which could lead to a late model fuel pump relocation
which could lead to adding a weltmeister swaybar "while you're in there"
which could lead to installing KONIs all around
which leads to new rear springs and tbars
which leads to numbers for AXing
which leads to converting to a six
which leads to flaring the car,
which leads to....

So then $15,000 later you've successfully troubleshot your fuel system problem.

You get the idea. You're on a precipice.

Later,
Kevin
Rrrockhound
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 20 2006, 12:40 PM) *

Not Autozone, or any other chain "auto parts" store. VW or foreign car parts stores. It's roughly square, and made of plastic. As the quality of these filters varies, and if you're not hung up on stock, get a filter made for a 1974-76 BMW 2002Tii. Round, metal, well made, FI compatible, uses the same 7 or 7.5mm hose, and about the same price. The Cap'n

You'd be surprised what you'll find at Autozone and Advance Auto Parts for these cars. I can usually get tune up-type parts pretty easily. I check their inventory on the website first and when I show up at the store, the clerk doesn't even believe they have the part until he goes in the back to check.
JPB
[quote name='kdfoust' date='Jul 20 2006, 05:35 PM' post='733322']
[quote name='HeloMech' post='733160' date='Jul 20 2006, 11:21 AM']
[quote name='Dr Evil' post='733144' date='Jul 20 2006, 11:07 AM']

Later,
Kevin
[/quote]

Yes he is right. I changed my brakes and now am painting the car, for the last four months! We are in a freeking bottomless pit here bro. Okay, the carbon fiber stuff I got last week is cool though.

agree.gif Save a slip and be tied off!
rcrgrl
QUOTE(Rrrockhound @ Jul 20 2006, 02:47 PM) *

You'd be surprised what you'll find at Autozone and Advance Auto Parts for these cars. I can usually get tune up-type parts pretty easily. I check their inventory on the website first and when I show up at the store, the clerk doesn't even believe they have the part until he goes in the back to check.

agree.gif i found the replacement round filter at autozone
black73
QUOTE(Rrrockhound @ Jul 20 2006, 04:47 PM) *

Well, I can't even get spark plugs at Autozone, etc., around here. pissoff.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(kdfoust @ Jul 20 2006, 05:35 PM) *

QUOTE(HeloMech @ Jul 20 2006, 11:21 AM) *

Thanks!!

Nah, don't mess with it yet. Do the easy stuff first and the fuel filter is pretty easy.

Messing with the sock in the gas tank can lead to draining the tank
which could lead to removing the tank
which could lead to etching and refinishing the tank interior
which would lead to repainting the outside of the tank
which could lead to a late model fuel pump relocation
which could lead to adding a weltmeister swaybar "while you're in there"
which could lead to installing KONIs all around
which leads to new rear springs and tbars
which leads to numbers for AXing
which leads to converting to a six
which leads to flaring the car,
which leads to....

Later,
Kevin

Ahmen! I totally ended up doing most of that...except the REALY expensive stuff.
av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.