Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need a ream
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
Had to replace rear wheel bearing. So I swapped out the whole trailing arm from the stripper.
Now I have bolts vs. studs. YUCK not to mention the Centerline wheels need a spacer and I have nuts not bolts. So long studs are the order of the day.

Press in of course, However need to remove the thread so I can press in the 14 x 1.5 mm studs.

Anybody got one that I can borrow. Never thought it would be so hard to find. tool depots and warehouses either don't carry them or they are huge.
URY914
I used MOROSO studs and used a round file to flatten the threads down than inserted the studs and beat it with a BFH until flange was snug up against the back of the hub. Than took a nut and washers and pulled the stud from the other side (front) with my electric torque wrench. Low tech but it worked.

Studs are in there tighter than a sailer on shore leave... you were in the Navy, you know what I mean. wink.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 20 2006, 01:43 PM) *

I used MOROSO studs and used a round file to flatten the threads down than inserted the studs and beat it with a BFH until flange was snug up against the back of the hub. Than took a nut and washers and pulled the stud from the other side (front) with my electric torque wrench. Low tech but it worked.

Studs are in there tighter than a sailer on shore leave... you were in the Navy, you know what I mean. wink.gif

Damn and I consider myself a red neck. Sheesh. Actually might stop by and buy a burr of the near close size and go straight in from the back so as to get any taper started there.

DAPO had one of the original studs a red hair off and it made putting wheels on a bitch. Centerlines are a bitch anyway.
cooltimes
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 20 2006, 10:33 AM) *

Had to replace rear wheel bearing. So I swapped out the whole trailing arm from the stripper.
Now I have bolts vs. studs. YUCK not to mention the Centerline wheels need a spacer and I have nuts not bolts. So long studs are the order of the day.

Press in of course, However need to remove the thread so I can press in the 14 x 1.5 mm studs.

Anybody got one that I can borrow. Never thought it would be so hard to find. tool depots and warehouses either don't carry them or they are huge.

I have a few metric reamers but can't find them since we just moved Joe. I'll keep looking. No promises I'll find them.
Meanwhile:
If you have any buddies working in a machine shop near you, just get them to borrow the size you need. Two different types for the straight hole the press in stud hole will need. Hand reamer, which you use with a tap handle to turn the reamer with and high speed reamer which you just stick in a drill motor. Use oil with either. Keep it straight.

MikeCool
Oakfield TN
Joe Bob
RCH....thinner than the standard red hair....
Joe Ricard
QUOTE((*)(*) @ Jul 20 2006, 03:52 PM) *

RCH....thinner than the standard red hair....

RCH is hell on razors too. But get back on topic OK? alfred.gif

Thanks Mike Cool, I got a spare hub I might mess up 1st then try it for real on the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.