Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CA smog law update??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
This was posted on a 356 list thought the CA crowd might be interested:

Several years ago, when the California Legislature was in more reasonable
hands, they passed a law that saved 912's from Extinction by exempting from
the Smog Tests any car made in 1973 or earlier.

This was to be an ongoing "30 year and out rule", starting in 2003- any
car 30 years old or older was going to be EXEMPT from smog tests due to the
difficuties of getting parts, knowledgeable service, etc.

Now that ever major elected office is held by Democrats, one (Mr Flores)
has taken it upon himself to UN-Exempt these cars! Replacing the "30 year
and out" rule with "45 years and out", starting in 2005
drew365
Are you sure this isn't hearsay? Several people have posted saying they registered their '74 without being asked for smog. A 45 year old car in 2005 would be a 1960. Are you saying that every car from 1960 on will need to be smogged in 2005?
echocanyons
definitely hersay as far as I know biggrin.gif . I havent personally looked into the CA legislature.

here is the propsed bill:

California State Senate Bill SB 708

Kelly
Brad Roberts
This comes up every year... and every year it doesnt pass.

Dont worry. They CANNOT go backwards and make people change their cars.

B
echocanyons
What I find odd about this is that in 1960 till 67?? there was no such thing as smog laws, how are they gonna make cars smog legal that never had any emission equipment fitted or emission standards?

Kelly
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Feb 27 2003, 05:57 PM)
Dont worry. They CANNOT go backwards and make people change their cars.

B, the really nifty thing is--they will say that they aren't!! It's the same thing that happened when they first implemented the smog check program. They will tell you that they are not changing what you can do to your car, they are merely checking that you aren't doing something that has been illegal all this time!

Remember, the 30-year exemption is an exemption from testing--not an exemption of having to have the original equipment and having to put out less than some given amount of emissions.

Yup, they're politicians. They love loopholes, especially when they can screw us through one...

This one probably won't pass, just like the outright repeal of the exemption last year didn't pass. But they'll keep trying... Unless we write to the State Senate (paper letters work best--also telegrams--phone next best, then email least of all) every time they try this crap, eventually they'll wind up passing one of them.

You know, I wouldn't mind it so much if it were actually about cleaning up the air. If, for instance, all you had to do was meet tailpipe standards. Breathing is not overrated, if you hadn't noticed. wink.gif But no, I could have a 914 that runs so clean that what comes out the tailpipe is cleaner than what we laugingly call "air" in the silicon valley--but it would still fail smog as a "GROSS POLLUTER" because I used a modern fuel injection system instead of the old antiquated analog crap that came with the car originally. It's not about clean air, it's about money. The state will make more money if the exemption is repealed (or moved back), and some dipshit will say "I cleaned the air, vote for me!" when nothing of the sort happened.

Excuse me, Mr. Flores? :finger2: :finger2: :finger2:

--DD
si2t3m
Guess what... Up here in Quebec, they want to get us into sniffer tests and visual inspections for 2004. The say that any car older that 7 year will be subject to the test. Nothing indicates that there will be an exemption for 25 and + year old cars. I just hope there will be one.

If it fails, you will get an incitative to take it to the scrap yard.

Not alot of 914's around here. Can't wait to see them open the front & rear trunks... Seriously, I wanted to bring my car to the SAAQ (probably something like the DMV) as I should get an inspection because I converted the car with a 6. I'll stay low profil for now, and will wait to get the full text in hand. Might not be smart for me to tell them i have a 79 911 engine in there. ''Where is the smog stuff Where is the CIS.'' Might be smarter for me to tell them it's an old 2.0L six.

Marc-André
Mark Henry
Here in Ontario, Canada we’ve have smog tests for about 5 or so years. What a joke, if you fail you can basically pay a bribe and get a conditional pass for another 2 years. The government promised that it would use the money clean up the air.
Bullshit, they stick the money in their pockets and spend it on crap that has nothing to do with the environment. They allow the gas companies to put an additive in the gas (MPZ or something, made by the Ethel corp.) that burns out catalytic converters. ar15.gif

Grrrrrr!!!! Don’t get me started!

At least they don’t test cars over 25 years old. Because there is hardly any cars that old! They spread so much fucking salt on the roads causing even more pollution!!!! fighting19.gif

Ohmmmmm! Deep breath in, scrunch up your toes. Think happy thoughts, exhale.
Alfred
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 27 2003, 06:23 PM)

...You know, I wouldn't mind it so much if it were actually about cleaning up the air.  If, for instance, all you had to do was meet tailpipe standards.  Breathing is not overrated, if you hadn't noticed.  ;)  But no, I could have a 914 that runs so clean that what comes out the tailpipe is cleaner than what we laugingly call "air" in the silicon valley--but it would still fail smog as a "GROSS POLLUTER" because I used a modern fuel injection system instead of the old antiquated analog crap that came with the car originally.  It's not about clean air, it's about money.  The state will make more money if the exemption is repealed (or moved back), and some dipshit will say "I cleaned the air, vote for me!" when nothing of the sort happened.

Excuse me, Mr. Flores?  :finger2:  :finger2:  :finger2:

--DD

Here in British Columbia, the testing program is called Aircare http://www.aircare.ca and the emission standards are based on a combination of the vehicle's year of manufacture, weight and engine displacement. If I enter my car's year of manufacture as 1973, its weight as 950kg and its engine displacement as 2.0 in the "Your Vehicle Standards" page I get the following values:

Description Value

Passenger Car CO for Acceleration Simulation Mode in percent (%) (1973) 3.86
Passenger Car HC for Acceleration Simulation Mode in parts per million (ppm) (1973) 403
Passenger Car NOx for Acceleration Simulation Mode in parts per million (ppm) (1973) 4292
Passenger Car CO for Idle Mode in percent (%) (1973) 5.38
Passenger Car HC for Idle Mode in parts per million (ppm) (1973) 678

I'm guessing that this means that you can have any kind of carburetion/fuel injection system so long as you come in under these limits. Could it be that the system that was set up under our (then) leftist government is more reasonable than that set up under your leftist (California) government?

BTW, Dave, it's only analog "crap" if you compare it to today's modern EFI systems. You know better than I do that the D and L-jet systems were the state of the art in production FI systems in their day.

Alfred
EdwardBlume
I went to the DMV and confirmed that a 1974 car no longer needs a smog. ar15.gif ar15.gif

Just saved me some cash.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.