Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: number in the rear trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
si2t3m
Hi,

Dunno how all this started but one hour later, part of the rear trunk had no more paint! Found some of that orange stuff too... actually I now have a hole in the rear trunk floor near the drivers side taillight. About the size of a coin was taken out. sad.gif

Anyway, i discovered in the rear trunk floor (it was partly covered by seam sealer and paint) a stamped number 2219005. What is it??? Part of the VIN (if it is it's not the numbers i have on my car).

TIA

Marc-André
Aaron Cox
i dunno, donor panel confused24.gif
JeffBowlsby
a stamped number 2219005. What is it???

Ahhh grasshoppa...

Its the chassis number and is actually a code.

It should be the identical number as the upper number on your chassis plate, affixed to the front drivers door jamb. If its not the same, your car is actually two or more cars melded together.

Decoded it says:

"This chassis started fabrication on Monday of the 22nd week [calendar week from January 1] of the year [calendar year your car was made, from the rear door jamb sticker]. It was constructed in Osnabruek and was the 5th chassis which was begun that day.

A monday morning car...probably the best there is...probably started down the line at 9:14 am...
redshift
smilie_pokal.gif

Jeff, you make them sound like something more than 'the Jack Rabbit Special'.

wink.gif

M
JeffBowlsby
'the Jack Rabbit Special'

About 70 each day...but that wasnt good enough for the bean counters...
redshift
If it had any real sales success, it would have become ugly (HAHA!) and heavy, and people wouldn't have focused so completely on 'the early ones', as to keep the short batch we have going now in working condition.

I am glad they never made an SC, or a 994/4.

I love her, I think I'll keep her.. maybe.

M
davep
Jeff is correct in that it is the chassis number. However, since the last 4 digits are 9005, that means that the car is a 1975 or 76 model. The last two years had a "base" of 9000 instead of the "base" of 9500 for the earlier years. That means that the chassis number is stamped into a small plate rivited onto the front trunk wall near the right headlight. I find it very informative to match the Chassis and VIN numbers in a spreadsheet. When I first decoded the chassis numbers 15 years ago I quickly noticed how out-of-sequence the two numbers were. That lead me to think that the chassis were produced in paint lots and then warehoused. Later, chassis were picked from the warehouse and completed on the assembly line where the VIN's were attached. I have found only two chassis numbers over 100 (highest is 130), both late in 1973 (1974 models).

I would appreciate anyone sending me data to help my project. Mostly what I need is VIN, chassis, paint code, and the month/year date code from the door post. Feel free to ask questions about this.

DaveP
si2t3m
Thanks guys,

I just checked it out and it's the same number as the Chassis number on the Karmann plate.

Oh and i goofed up with the number. It's actually 2219506.

Marc-André
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.