Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: .009 and Pertronics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HeloMech
Is a .009 from a vw the same as the .009 that you'd get for the 914 1.7 with DJet? They have them new with pertronics for $130 and I'm thinking I should just swap my current stuff with that to eliminate that being an issue.

*** EDIT ***

Got ahold of them on the phone. Apparently I can't change to .009 direct swap. I'm guessing it's due to the FI Trigger Points. I'm going to pick up the new fuel filter today and maybe the pertronix for my stock dizzy and see if that combo clears anything up. Might try disconnecting the return line from both sides to ensure it's clear and not contributing to a vapor lock issue.

Weeeeeeeeee... I'll get this thing running SOME day.
Joe Bob
Some people love Petronix....some don't. If they are hooked up right they are OK.....one little reverse polarity incident and they are toast.

The 009 has limited advance. They were designed for industrial engines that go....hmmmmmm, all day at the same rpm. OK for WOT racing not real good for driver's....

One good thing....they are CHEAP.

The Mallory or the Bosch 050 (if you can find them) are pretty good.

The EDIS system off the Ford Focus is an interesting alternative...I'm gonna use that on my turbo 2.2.
Dave_Darling
If you're using D-jet EFI, all you can use is a D-jet distributor, because only a D-jet distributor has the FI trigger points in it. (Yeah, yeah, some engineers can fake up a work-around, but they haven't exactly been selling kits have they?)

Stick with the stock distributor; even the fancy Mallory won't let your car run if you keep the D-jet.

--DD
Joe Bob
Ooopsie, missed that he was still gonna use D-Jet, FI......my bad. Assumed that the dizzy change would do the carbs change as well...

DD is right....the stock dizzy is best. YOU CAN add the Petronix to the mix or go with the Crane/Alison optical unit or the MSD....best price is at Summit Racing.
drewvw

I run a 1.7 with djet and a stock dizzy pertronix setup.

I like it...mainly because I despise points and feel like I get a little better throttle response.
bob174
I put in the Pertronix and MSD box not too long ago. Really nice to see that timing mark nailed in place when you're timing it. Doesn't jump around at all. I think the car runs better at lower RPMs too. Evened out the idle it seems like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.