Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifting question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
Several weeks ago I replaced all of the bushings in my shift linkage. It took me a while to get the shifter adjusted, but I thought I had it pretty good.

So I was using the car for a few weeks, and occasionally I found it hard to shift into first. There didn't seem to be rhyme or reason to it. So I adjusted the shifter again. All I did was rotate the shaft a spline or two and then tightened it back down.

Shifting improved alot, I think I got it a little better. I still occasionally have issues shifting into 1st and now sometimes have a problem hitting 3rd, but generally only on a downshift.

So the question is: Is there something else back there that could be affecting the geometry of my linkage dynamically? A bad mount or something maybe that is causing the tranny to wiggle around and make my shifting inconsistant?

OR, do I just need to go back and adjust my shifter again?

Thanks in advance!
Joe Bob
Have you checked the shift bar and the cone screws?
Joe Ricard
Any kinda movement with regard to engine and or transmission will affect the way the shift rod actuates the selector in the shift console.
whole car twisting can also affect this.

and 1 spline can make a huge difference. unfortunately 1 spine adjustments are pretty freaking tough.
mikelsr
QUOTE((*)(*) @ Jul 20 2006, 03:50 PM) *

Have you checked the shift bar and the cone screws?

agree.gif I had a similar problem and it was the cone screws.
KaptKaos
I'll check the set screws. They are new and came with the new set of bushings.
Dr Evil
Check your engine (rubber ones) and tranny mounts if all the usual suspects look to be ok.
Stieve
I have a simular problem, but the gears engage, just the shifter seems different, I guess I can put it out of gear and reset the shifter.
Here is a weird one though, my Volt gauge discharges like grounding out in reverse. WHY!
Dr Evil
Check the reverse circuit from the reverse switch to the board and beyond. Where is your volt meter hooked into?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 20 2006, 10:34 PM) *

Check your engine (rubber ones) and tranny mounts if all the usual suspects look to be ok.

agree.gif especcially if on downshifting... get some new mounts, and tighten all your cone screws.

we can look at it tomorrow
2-OH!
Clutch adjustment...1st and Reverse are the first to show up if your clutch is not working perfectly...

2-OH!
Stieve
Volt gauge is wired directly to console wire plugs for it(73)
pfierb
QUOTE(Stieve @ Jul 21 2006, 04:13 AM) *

I have a simular problem, but the gears engage, just the shifter seems different, I guess I can put it out of gear and reset the shifter.
Here is a weird one though, my Volt gauge discharges like grounding out in reverse. WHY!

Could be that your backup lights are coming on and making the volt meter needle move downward.
Stieve
they work, just shocked me how it just dropped down when doing it. ALso What do you think about the shifter adjustment?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.