Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire size choices?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boston914
I need some quick opinions on a tire choice.

I am currently running Pirelli P6 tires, size 185/70 VR15 on my Mahle wheels.

I am having my recently polished 2.0 Fuchs rims mounted tomorrow.

When I bought the wheels, they came with four Goodyear NCT 205/60 VR15 tires.

Both sets of tires are in excellent condition with minimal wear.

Can anyone give me any help deciding which ones to mount on my Fuchs?

Thanks!

'76 Malaga Red
lapuwali
Will the 205/60s fit on the rear without rubbing? It's likely to be pretty snug.
STL914
When I had my 2 liter Fuchs, I ran 205/60 HR15's and had no clearance problems
with the rear fenders.
anthony
If the 205-60s don't fit 195-60 is a good option for a street car.
boston914
I am not sure if the 205s will fit my fenders.

I am trying to avoid paying for mounting and balancing, then have to dismount again if they don't fit.

Any comments on the tire brands/models that I have?

Pirelli P6 vs. Goodyear NCT
lapuwali
Unfortunately, just because tires of size X fit on 914 A, that doesn't mean different tires of size X will fit on 914 B. Tire sizing is very approximate (width can vary by a LOT from one model of tire to another, even if the size is "the same"), and the rear fenders on a 914 vary by a lot from car to car.

There's really no way to know without trying them. 205/50s fit on many 914s, but not all 205/50s, and not all 914s. 205/60 is pushing it. It may fit fine. It may not.

I've been a fan of P6s for awhile, but they're a fairly old design now. They just started to make P6s again after a long layoff. If they're old P6s, I'd worry about them being too old. Tires degrade from oxidation over time, even if they have good tread. I've had to throw away plenty of tires that had plenty of tread, but were in dangerous condition, anyway. Look carefully at the sidewalls near the bead for cracks. If the tires are unmounted, try bending the sidewall to check for cracking.

Toast
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 20 2006, 03:14 PM) *

Unfortunately, just because tires of size X fit on 914 A, that doesn't mean different tires of size X will fit on 914 B. Tire sizing is very approximate (width can vary by a LOT from one model of tire to another, even if the size is "the same"), and the rear fenders on a 914 vary by a lot from car to car.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

I'm running 205's on front and rear. I had Remmington's. But the fronts wore to the cords on the inside due to mis-alignment. I had no clearance problems.
But, the BF Goodrich tires that were put on the fronts Do Not clear even though they are the same "size" as the rear. They have raised the front so I no longer have a good visual over the steering wheel. They rub on the inside if I make a sharp turn. Plus they are UGLY!!!! icon8.gif owned.gif

Of course they are 5000 mile tires. dry.gif Think I will put them on the rear so that can burn em off faster. burnout.gif
MecGen
Hi

I had 195/60 for 15 years....love that size for the street boldblue.gif
It always just seem to be a good comprimize between comfort and performance. Look real good too. wub.gif and garrentied to fit, I have a set of 205/50 that rub on the 73 but not the 74 confused24.gif My 74 is mostly bone stock (carbed and cammed) and the tires can handle anything I could give them, or want to give it, but I am very carefull with Blue....

Later

beerchug.gif

john grier
My 205 60 15 michlins chirp,
They ride fine, handle fine for street but they chirp
All I here is chirp, chirp here chirp there,
it gets anoying.
So.Cal.914
On my 72 I run 205/ 55/15's, no rubbing on front or back.
rickyhgarcia
I have Yokohamas 205/50-15 mounted on 5-lug (15x6) Fuchs all around with no rubbing. Problem is I am off by about 10% on the speedometer.

I am thinking, however, to replace them with 195/60 or 195/65 to solve the speedometer problem.
Toast
laugh.gif Then you will be 10% off on the odometer.
Toast
QUOTE(john grier @ Jul 20 2006, 06:27 PM) *

My 205 60 15 michlins chirp,
They ride fine, handle fine for street but they chirp
All I here is chirp, chirp here chirp there,
it gets anoying.

Maybe you should try taking the corners softer. biggrin.gif
jimtab
I have 205-50 Falken Aenzis on my stock fuchs and I LOVE them...sticky, sticky, sticky...fit fine....no flaring at all...
Joe Bob
I've run with 205/50s....really gives a boost quickness wise. The speedo was fer shitz though....
jimtab
QUOTE((*)(*) @ Jul 20 2006, 10:42 PM) *

I've run with 205/50s....really gives a boost quickness wise. The speedo was fer shitz though....

agree.gif Get's to be kinda by guess and by golly....
ovilla
I'm running 195/60 Yok AVS-I's and they are a nice sticky street tire. The other 914's got 205/50 BFG's and I think I like them a little bit better. Just something about the lower profile that helps in cornering speeds.
Tobra
QUOTE(ovilla @ Jul 22 2006, 10:10 AM) *

I'm running 195/60 Yok AVS-I's and they are a nice sticky street tire. The other 914's got 205/50 BFG's and I think I like them a little bit better. Just something about the lower profile that helps in cornering speeds.

agree.gif agree.gif

I have the same size yoko's, I have been told(Martin) that 185-65 are nice, as they are very close to stock diameter and don't have as much sidewall flex, presumably because the tire is not stretched so much on the rim. The 195-60 bulges quite a bit, asa shown in the pic. This is on one of the 4 lug Fuch wheel, but it is the same dimension wheel. Don't have a shot showing how much it bulges, but I would think a 205 would be too much by seeing how a 195 looks. This is a 195-60 next to a stocker
914rat
Ihave 205 /60 Pirelli's on my stock Fuchs , and think I could fit 215 60's if I rolled the fender lip.
Van914
I too run the Yoko AVS in 195X60X15. Great tire for the street and when my Victoraces gave up last week at the track they worked good.
van914@aol.com
boston914
Thanks for all the input.

I ended up keeping my Pirelli 185/70 tires for my new polished Fuchs.

They have performed well for me, so I decided not to change.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.