Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When to replace a flywheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
I came a across a used flywheel in a parts lot. My question is: how can I tell how much life is left in it? Haynes mentioned measurements to take on the pressure plate and on the friction disk, but can't find anything about the flywheel.

The surface looks good and smooth. confused24.gif

thanks beer.gif
jr91472
Here's another thing....there are no timing marks on it....Shouldn't there be a mark for TDC?

anyone confused24.gif
G e o r g e
got any pics?
jr91472
Ok, let me ask this question another way...

Do flywheels really wear out? Or do they just get abused by friction disks that are worn out and not replaced in a timely manner? (thus requiring re-surfacing, etc, etc).

Here is a pic. It still needs a little cleaning and removable of some surface rust. If you look close, you can tell someone didn't use the flywheel bolt washer thingy... wacko.gif
Cap'n Krusty
The picture is of a VW Bus flywheel. As I recall, they're cut a bit differently than a 914 FW, and you'll note the lack of locating pins. The Cap'n
lapuwali
Flywheels get scored and slightly worn from the clutch, but mostly you see big changes when they're machined as part of a clutch change. There's a measurement in the Haynes manual. The 901 flywheel I recently bought used for a 6 swap was 0.5mm too thin, as it had been resurfaced too many times, or too aggressively. $170 paperweight.
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 21 2006, 07:52 AM) *

The picture is of a VW Bus flywheel. As I recall, they're cut a bit differently than a 914 FW, and you'll note the lack of locating pins. The Cap'n

agree.gif

it's the same diameter, but shallower in overall depth.

beerchug.gif
jr91472
So.....NOT compatible?

QUOTE(George H. @ Jul 21 2006, 09:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 21 2006, 07:52 AM) *

agree.gif

it's the same diameter, but shallower in overall depth.

beerchug.gif

G e o r g e
type 4 compatible yes

914 no

beerchug.gif
Oled
If I recall correctly, the distance from the pressure plate mounting surface to the flywheel surface is 22.5 mm. If the flywheel has been agressively surfaced several times, the mounting ring has to be surfaced to maintain this difference to keep the poroper pressure on the disc. If too much surfacing has been done, the heads of the flywheel mounting bolts will interfere. The heads can be slightly thinned to clear. I would try to find a better flywheel candidate for resurfacing rather than thinning the bolt heads. Don't forget to check the ring teeth before doing any substitutuion. It will be rather frustrating to go through everything to replace a flywheel just to find out that starter engagement is a hit or miss occurence after everything is put back together.
yeahmag
I'm struggeling with the same problem(s). From what I've read the distance from the clutch surface to the flywheel bolt surface should be no less than 11mm. I have yet to find one over 9mm. They are reportedly something like 15mm new...

-Aaron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.