Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which coil with Pertronix?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
Does the stock coil (1975 2.0) have a ballast resistor built in? Is a Pertronix ignitor happy with the stock coil? If not, what's a recommended upgrade? Bosch Blue?
Dr. Roger
I upgraded my coil when I switched out my points for Pertronix.

50KV.

i understand that larger oil resovoirs help in cooling. (Accel and others have larger housings)

Rouser
When my Pertronix Flame-Thrower recently poo-poo'd on me after 5 years service (it just quit ... dunno why confused24.gif ), I replaced it with an Accel Super Stock 8140 (forget the MOPAR reference). Picked it up at the nearby FLAPS (Advance Auto Parts).

I've had my Ignitor 5+ years and it hasn't hiccupped with either coil, as-long-as they're 1.5-ohm max. Can't vouch for any other ultra-KV-arc-welders, or what precautions to take with their use, just what's worked for my DD.
Rand
Thanks guys. I'll look at those.
I was hoping to put the Pertronix in tonight and upgrade the coil later. I assume that's fine, but just wanted to make sure my stock coil has a ballast resistor / is ok with the Pertronix. confused24.gif
Trekkor
I ran the Bosch Blue with the FOUR and now the SIX. No problems at all.
The SIX sports the MSD-AL as well.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.