Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ever wonder what a DP engine feels like
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MattR
I risked life and limb for this picture, but I'm pretty sure its worth it. This is a Daytona Prototype motor (basically a GT3 RSR motor with some "sprint" add-ons) built for Grand American running at ~7000 rpm. The engine is good for about 510 hp and I think 485 ft lbs and has a rev limiter at about 9000 rpm.
sixnotfour
cool pic, and experience
Brad Roberts
Dude,

you know damn well the Germans would FLY off the HOOK if they knew you shot a pic of that engine on the dyno..LOL drooley.gif

Springer used to "shoo" me away when Betim would start to make the power pulls on the DP engines. I could sit in during the break in procedure (very strict procedure by the way) but as soon as it was time... LOL OUTZIEG!!

510= bs.gif

I know better biggrin.gif
MattR
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 20 2006, 05:32 PM) *

510= bs.gif

Whaaa?

Break in is very specific, but its all computer controlled. We pull the lever behind the glass, but the computer sets torque on the dyno and rpm.

I never worked with Alwain, but I hear he was fun to work with. That was taken during break in. Theres no time to fuck around during power runs.

Henry suggested I shut the lights off for the picture... I dont think I'm violating anything. In fact, he told me to put it on my myspace because "chicks dig it" biggrin.gif
JPB
Schweeet job bro!

beer.gif You leter run I'll get the beer!
Brad Roberts
Next time.. dont go to the "Andy Schmidt" school of photography.

Have you seen Betim's "MySpace" or Dustons??LOL

Betim looks like a middle eastern pimp alfred.gif

B
JPB
Oh ya; word to the wise: Don't put your hand where your pecker don't belong. COOL!
Brad Roberts
And what the hell is Henry doing on MySpace?? LOL

B
MattR
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 20 2006, 05:47 PM) *

Next time.. dont go to the "Andy Schmidt" school of photography.

If a water line blows off, you're a lobster. They have 100'C water flowing through water pumps spinning at the engine speed. If an oil line blows, its 110'C oil. I try not to go in the dyno room with an engine above 4000 rpm. I took like 5 pictures, and with the lack of light, its tough to get a good one.
MattR
BTW, that was the first watercooled motor I built.
nebreitling
that's completely awesome, matt. i can only imagine the experience that you're getting...
MattR
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jul 20 2006, 06:56 PM) *

that's completely awesome, matt. i can only imagine the experience that you're getting...

Yep, it really is amazing. I'm trying to absorb as much as I can. These people really have their shit together and I have a lot to learn.
Aaron Cox
rock on son!
lagunero
Great stuff!

now go finish your car!
So.Cal.914
Damn the sound must be awsome. But zay have vays of findink you.
John
Videos with sound. We need videos with sound...... And focus that camera next time (or hold it still).
davep
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Jul 22 2006, 12:43 AM) *

And focus that camera next time (or hold it still).

Tripods are most useful in low light situations to reduce shake. Autofocus usually doesn't work in low light anyway.
MattR
QUOTE(davep @ Jul 22 2006, 05:01 AM) *

QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Jul 22 2006, 12:43 AM) *

And focus that camera next time (or hold it still).

Tripods are most useful in low light situations to reduce shake. Autofocus usually doesn't work in low light anyway.

Yeah, a tripod would really help. Its not really too picturesque in there though. There are wires, hoses, and pipes going all over the place.

This is the dyno room with the engine running with light. Not too cool, is it...
MattR
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Jul 22 2006, 01:43 AM) *

Videos with sound. We need videos with sound...... And focus that camera next time (or hold it still).

You know, its really not that loud in there. I think my 912 is louder while driving. Those big round things in the back of the room are huge mufflers that vent outside. I did walk outside once when an engine was running and it sounded really good, but inside the control room and even in the dyno room itself, its not too loud.
Howard
Great post!
Is that a bolt in for the 996? Or a Boxster? happy11.gif
MattR
QUOTE(Howard @ Jul 22 2006, 09:28 AM) *

Great post!
Is that a bolt in for the 996? Or a Boxster? happy11.gif

actually it is
Air_Cooled_Nut
Looks like the engine is on life support!
Air_Cooled_Nut
Very obvious it's a Porsche engine...it's on jack-stands biggrin.gif
McMark
That's a kick ass picture. rocking nana.gif

Picture tip: Most cameras will hold the focus if you press the button 'halfway', so you can leave the lights on, press the button to hold the focus, have someone hit the light switch, and then press the button the rest of the way. biggrin.gif Works well with a flashlight too.
bondo
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 22 2006, 03:03 PM) *

That's a kick ass picture. rocking nana.gif

Picture tip: Most cameras will hold the focus if you press the button 'halfway', so you can leave the lights on, press the button to hold the focus, have someone hit the light switch, and then press the button the rest of the way. biggrin.gif Works well with a flashlight too.

Most cameras also hold the exposure settings when you do that, so you'd end up with an underexposed pic. I don't think focus is a problem in this case, that blurring looks like it came from movement during the long exposure. As he said, tripod would have helped. In situations like that when I don't have a tripod handy, I use the self timer and set the camera on something.
Elliot_Cannon
Get closer next time ya big wuss.

Elliot
Brando
QUOTE(MattR @ Jul 22 2006, 08:42 AM) *
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Jul 22 2006, 01:43 AM) *

You know, its really not that loud in there. I think my 912 is louder while driving. Those big round things in the back of the room are huge mufflers that vent outside. I did walk outside once when an engine was running and it sounded really good, but inside the control room and even in the dyno room itself, its not too loud.

Matt, your 912 has intake and exhaust leaks -- it's louder than most any other Porsche made lol2.gif

That's freaking cool, you assembled that engine? I'm envious of the toys you get to tinker with and the experience you're getting. Here I'm still wrenching on mid 70's to late 90's, most being resto jobs. Bah!

I'll provide a 914 if they're willing to try a transplant biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.