Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Search fruitless: late vs. early struts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cap'n Krusty
As usual, my efforts to find the early vs. late strut interchange with regards to rotors and calipers has failed. I just can't get the search function to function! Any quick thoughts? I KNOW we recently discussed this until we were all exhausted ..........
The Cap'n
TravisNeff
If I read your question right; what are the differences between the early/late and I assume interchangeability?

No parts are interchangable between the old and late versions. The rotor offset is different, late have a hubcentric ring, calipers have different offsets in relation to the centerine of the rotor (as the rotor offset is different).
TravisNeff
One thing may be possible. Using an early strut with late rotor and caliper, or using a late strut with early rotor and caliper. You cannot mix up the rotor/caliper - that i know for sure.
davep
I think the things we can agree on are:
-the ball joint, pin and strut must be matched
-the caliper and rotor must be matched
-it is quite safe to replace an entire assembly from the ball joint up

What we are not positive on is whether the caliper & rotor from one system will work with the other.
Chris Pincetich
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...c=45474&hl=

After all the help the Capt has dished out, time to give some back. I think the link above is the exhaustive thread you seek. I have a '72 so I always tune in to the late vs early topics because it is part of my world too. beerchug.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Found the thread, and we're gonna find out for sure tomorrow whether we can fit early caliper/rotor assemblies to late struts! The ball joints and pins are on the way. The Cap'n
mihai914
I don't want to stirr the pot more than needed. When I was repairing my early 73, #00636, I was low on budget and went to a recycler for rotors. I ended up taking one early and one late rotor (hubcentric vs. non hub) because of similar thickness. The calipers I rebuilt were from a very late 73 above #15000. I did use the different rotors and everything went together without any issue and had very good braking. The other day I had a look at those struts with the rotors, which are now spare parts, and was looking at the offset issue because back in the days I said the parts could be mixed and the Cap'n got on my case! By eye it seemed to me that the offset was the same. And BTW for the short 1000 miles I drove the car that way, pad wear was equal in every way.
davep
But don't forget there were late style non-hubcentric rotors available at one time.
Cap'n Krusty
The car on our lift is a 1972. Early struts/brakes. I just installed the early rotor on the late strut, and tried the backing plate (stone guard) and caliper. No go. The caliper is 10-12mm offset from what it needs to be. That means it's 10-12mm TOO FAR BACK from the centerline of the rotor. Barring other directly reported results, I think the conclusion is that we can't use a late strut as a replacement for an early one UNLESS we also use the appropriate brake components. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.