Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: John Kelly Flares Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
Bob Goulet bought one of the few sets sold and
I started the process of installation today on Bob's car.
I thought you all might like to see what they look like.
This pic is of the opening I created in the fender to fit the piece of metal that came in the crate. I also cut open the front and carefully cleaned the edges for a smooth fit with the new material.
ChrisFoley
Here's a rear view with the flares held in place with only three clecoes.
ChrisFoley
and a front view.
914werke
Chris Lets see Pics of the LE aktion035.gif
Lou W
Wow, Those sure are nice. drooley.gif
Aaron Cox
cut and buttweld and have fun!

i didnt know john sold qtr panels?!!!?!?!?
neo914-6
Bob Goulet
laugh.gif Didn't know the actor like 914's

Nice, wish John didn't stop making them!
banksyinoz
hey they look great cant wait to see them with paint back on them and all finished and such

? do they overlap or are they butted as previously suggested ?
LvSteveH
Amazing job on the fitment! We're not worthy.... we're not worthy smiley_notworthy.gif
tomamafone
these look amazing! is there no one who makes them or sells them anymore? and what size tires can you fit under there? excited to see the outcome!!! smilie_pokal.gif
John Kelly
Hi Chris,

Nice to see someone getting those flares installed! I think I sold 3 or 4 sets of those, and about a dozen sets of Ghia flares, and the one custom pair for Felix, and I've only seen pictures of one car finished. I know Felix will finish his. As you have probably already figured out, the flares have so little compound shape (floppy) that they are a little tricky to fit so that both sides are the same. Pushing in or pulling out while clamping will do the trick. I don't remember if I sent out templates with the flares or not? I look forward to seeing the car when you are done! Let me know if you have any questions. By the way, the first picture looks like a clear plastic flare was fitted... I like it.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com www.gullwinginn.com
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(banksyinoz @ Jul 21 2006, 02:55 AM) *

? do they overlap or are they butted as previously suggested ?

Except where I temporarily left little tabs for the clecos the cutouts are perfectly sized for buttwelding the new panels. I will grind the welds perfectly flat so I can hammer out the distortion from welding.
In fact it is about time I made an air powered hand planishing hammer just for that purpose. smile.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(John Kelly @ Jul 21 2006, 09:21 AM) *

As you have probably already figured out, the flares have so little compound shape (floppy) that they are a little tricky to fit so that both sides are the same. Pushing in or pulling out while clamping will do the trick. I don't remember if I sent out templates with the flares or not?

They fit very well and even though you provided templates I ended up just positioning them based on how the metal layed on the fender, leaving a consistent distance to the edge of the wheel opening. The only issue that bothers me is that now I have to remove the foam and sealant from the rear of the quarters, near the tail lights.
pete-stevers
chris, how wide a rim and tire are you plannig to put on?
JPB
Nice sweep on the fenders. Nice work!
\

smilie_pokal.gif
McMark
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 22 2006, 01:10 PM) *

The only issue that bothers me is that now I have to remove the foam and sealant from the rear of the quarters, near the tail lights.

That's a good thing. PITA, but a good thing. wink.gif
Dad Roberts
QUOTE(John Kelly @ Jul 21 2006, 06:21 AM) *

Hi Chris,

Nice to see someone getting those flares installed! I think I sold 3 or 4 sets of those, and about a dozen sets of Ghia flares, and the one custom pair for Felix, and I've only seen pictures of one car finished. I know Felix will finish his. As you have probably already figured out, the flares have so little compound shape (floppy) that they are a little tricky to fit so that both sides are the same. Pushing in or pulling out while clamping will do the trick. I don't remember if I sent out templates with the flares or not? I look forward to seeing the car when you are done! Let me know if you have any questions. By the way, the first picture looks like a clear plastic flare was fitted... I like it.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com www.gullwinginn.com

Those look great John.....now where's the ones for my TypeIII biggrin.gif .......Dad driving.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jul 22 2006, 04:14 PM) *

chris, how wide a rim and tire are you plannig to put on?

The car will be getting a 5 lug conversion. I haven't measured carefully but it appears the rear fenders will be about 2" wider than stock and the fronts just over an inch wider.
My preference is for both ends to have the same size rims and tires. Some people prefer the car to understeer and put wider tires on the rear.
I think 245's ought to fit nicely on 8" rims under there.
JPB
245s, ahh, the sweet meats catagory. Got bookoo pics when she is done!!!

wub.gif MMmm, curvacious girls.
John Kelly
"Those look great John.....now where's the ones for my TypeIII" .......Dad

I'm not getting sucked into that! Well...bring it on over, let's get started on it...no, I can't...but it would be an interesting project...no time for projects....

I will rescue myself by remembering my current shop is only 10' wide.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
ChrisFoley
I had a chance to do a couple hours work this week.
Both right side flares are tacked in place.
ChrisFoley
I still have to put many more tacks in place before fully welding the seams.
ChrisFoley
Rear
ChrisFoley
With a little luck I will have the other side to this point after next week. smile.gif welder.gif
turboman808
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 28 2006, 05:39 PM) *

With a little luck I will have the other side to this point after next week. smile.gif welder.gif

Great work. Man now I really want to bring my car up. My fenders are screwed!
grasshopper
sorry, maybe I am missing it... but did you pull the bottom edge of the fender before welding these in? If not, how is this benifitial? It flares it out a little above the lip, but does not bring the bottom edge out? If the bottem edge stays in the same place how do you get anything larger than stock under there?
G e o r g e
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jul 28 2006, 08:17 PM) *

sorry, maybe I am missing it... but did you pull the bottom edge of the fender before welding these in? If not, how is this benifitial? It flares it out a little above the lip, but does not bring the bottom edge out? If the bottem edge stays in the same place how do you get anything larger than stock under there?

barry look at the first pics there is very little holding the lip in place. i'm sure it just gets pulled out just enough to match these wub.gif flares
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.