Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: windshield washers on
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grasshopper
Hmmmm... idea.gif I was just thinking about something. When the dealership put AC in the cars, they had to move the spare to the rear trunk. That would pretty much make the windshield washers useless, because there would be no pressure from the spare. What did they do about it?? Did they just leave it useless?? Please enlighten me 914 gods laugh.gif
G e o r g e
barry,

my car had a plastic cover that went over the condenser that was shaped for the spare to remain in the front trunk.

i can take a pic tomorrow for you beerchug.gif
grasshopper
huh, I heard that they were all moved to the rear trunk when AC was installed. A pic would be great!
Joe Bob
Yep....that's what I have seen....the plastic cap thing....
Aaron Cox
the FACTORY put a nut in the REAR trunk floor to carry a spare....
grasshopper
that is what I heard, but the dealers didn't use it??
Aaron Cox
i dunno. call your local dealer.

why are you still up?

AA
grasshopper
cause I'm bored..just like you! wink.gif
MarkV
Joe Bob
Izzat the asshat I keeps hearing about?
grasshopper
so that must be one of those uber rare parts then huh? Is it in the PET catalog? Who made it?
Stieve
So what's under if for air ? is there vent holes?
MarkV
QUOTE(Stieve @ Jul 21 2006, 01:01 AM) *

So what's under if for air ? is there vent holes?

Inlet in the front & outlet in the rear.
STL914
There were two completely different A/C systems that were commonly installed by the dealers, both of which allowed for the spare tire to remain mounted in the front trunk. Those cars with A/C even had a modified tire cover [carpeted board]with a notch to allow access to the front latch.
D1A3
Agreed, there are two A/C systems installed by dealers. One was by DPD and the other by VPC. VPC seems to be the more common of the two (probably becuase of VW). The VPC condenser unit is a box and the DPD unit uses the plastic "cone" type condenser. The spare tire in the trunk woudl be consistent with the VPC unit as the condenser box is fairly large. the spare tire woudl fit nicley over the DPD unit.

There are also other differences regarding the under dash unit and center console between the two.
Cap'n Krusty
There were actually at least FOUR different dealer installed A/C systems in 914s.

VPC, DPD, Meyerline (sp?), and Cool Aire were all available. VPC is/was a subsidiary of VW in the US. "Volkswagen Products Corporation". The various parts are not gonna be in the PET because they're NOT Porsche parts. The Cap'n
VaccaRabite
My car had the dealer installed AC w/ the big tin box housing. It had a metal strap over the top that the spare bolted to, so the spare stayed up front.

The metal around the tin box AC condenser was so corroded and rusted that I ended up replacing the entire frint trunk area, suspension consoles and all.

Zach
So.Cal.914
Sence this started out as a Q on the windshield washers there is a thread(a good one)

on the installation of a 911 washer pump. My spare air system never worked very well

I read it and it is a very simple install. No more problem.
Stieve
I want one, wonder if Vintage Air makes one
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.