Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Volt gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stieve
I have a factory volt gauge in the console wiring(NEW Wires going from gauge to pigtail)harness. 13+ volts, go into reverse gauge acts like is grounds out, lights illuminate, just wondering is this normal?
John
I have a factory volt gauge in the console wiring(NEW Wires going from gauge to pigtail)harness. 13+ volts, go into reverse gauge acts like is grounds out, lights illuminate, just wondering is this normal?

No.

You must have some wiring issues with your car.

Do your backup lights work when you shift into reverse?

Is the problem ONLY with the voltmeter?

Does the voltmeter drop to 0 volts or only drop to below 12v?

Is this with the engine on (and charging) or off?

Dave_Darling
Huh? "acts like is grounds out"--what do you mean?

It is normal for the gauge to change readings depending on if your brake lights, turn signals, parking lights, reverse lights are on. It's not normal for the reading to drop to zero.

If the latter is what happens, clean up all of your fuses. There's a decent chance that could fix the problem.

--DD
Stieve
running, it drops to 11 volts
So.Cal.914
Like Dave said you will get a change in reading when anything is turned on

especially at idol (putting it into reverse). More info.
Stieve
in reverse, I can fan the gas and no change from 11 volts in reverse, out of reverse, 13.6 ish
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Stieve @ Jul 21 2006, 10:49 AM) *

in reverse, I can fan the gas and no change from 11 volts in reverse, out of reverse, 13.6 ish

Way to much of a draw for your reverse lights, do check your fuses as mentioned

also check the wires that run to the switch on trans and to lights. Could be a (other

than dead) short. Let us know.
Stieve
Will do, going to replace the fuse panel next week with a J West.
Demick
This is pretty much normal behavior. I understand that the voltmeter gauge is hooked into the circuit for the tail lights. So it is normal that you see a big drop when you hit the brakes (maybe even as low as 11V). This could be true with any and all of the lights in the tail light cluster. I haven't noticed it with the reverse lights, but then again, when I'm in reverse, I'm usually looking out the rear window.

Demick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.