Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any gatherings in the South East?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John G
Anybody know if there are teener meetings going on in the SE? I'm in Birmingham but could easily drive to Atlanta or other surrounding area....

If we could get enough of us in this area, I wonder if we could rent the Barber motorsports park for a day? biggrin.gif

Seriously, the WCC pictures make me wish I was closer to more teener owners....

John
rwjames
PCA doesn't do anything in Birmingham, but race, think about racing, talk about racing, tell lies about racing......If you aren't into racing don't waste your money on the membership unless you want the club magazine.

A couple guys showed up at the Tannehill Sports Car Show a couple months ago, but nothing exciting. There was one guy there with a 914, but he said he is a VW fan, not really a 914 or Porsche fan.

The Vintage VW Club of Montgomery is having their annual Meltdown car show in Montgomery on July 29. Usually have a couple of us 914ers there and couple other Porsches. Also, the Central Alabama VW club is having their big annual show on August 26. I made up there last year and hope to get up there again. If you enjoy VW's, it's a nice show.

I only know of three 914 owners in the Montgomery area and we have 5 914's between us. If you ever want to get together, let me know.

It would be nice to have a big 914 event in the Southeast, but I'm not sure if there would be enough support or interested parties to get something at Barbers. Great track though. Maybe you can get something going.
Brad Roberts
All we need is a "leader" for that area. We will promote/push/help in any way we can to get some people together. NorCal people hold dinners when somebody is visiting from out of town and they give some warning as to when they will be in town.

Let us know what we can do to help. I would like to see the southeast get more involved.

B
914rat
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 21 2006, 03:00 PM) *

All we need is a "leader" for that area. We will promote/push/help in any way we can to get some people together. NorCal people hold dinners when somebody is visiting from out of town and they give some warning as to when they will be in town.

Let us know what we can do to help. I would like to see the southeast get more involved.

B
Just wondering? With Auto Atlanta in the region why there aren't more Southeast members?Did they all get rid of their rides after doing business there?
72914S
"Seriously, the WCC pictures make me wish I was closer to more teener owners...."

I`m for some get togethers down here in the"Redneck Riviera" driving.gif beerchug.gif jsharp.gif
krazykonrad
Anytime yall want to get together let me know! I'm sorry that I missed the fun at the andretti place a mnth or so back, but we definetly all need to get together!
Konrad
72/4
Joe Bob
[/quote]Just wondering? With Auto Atlanta in the region why there aren't more Southeast members?Did they all get rid of their rides after doing business there?
[/quote]

George has it all on back order....but will ship soon. Please enter your credit card number for immediate debit.
grasshopper
Well, I could help organize some of the SE get togethers. Yes, my location says virginia, but that is just for the summer. I am currently in south georgia, so I could help with FL and GA meets. We definetly dont do much down there, and there really are a lot of people around the Atlanta area. We need a redneck classic. Tour the mountains of north georgia in the fall...Give the Fall Foliage a run for its money.
John G
QUOTE(rwjames @ Jul 21 2006, 04:37 PM) *

PCA doesn't do anything in Birmingham, but race, think about racing, talk about racing, tell lies about racing......If you aren't into racing don't waste your money on the membership unless you want the club magazine.

A couple guys showed up at the Tannehill Sports Car Show a couple months ago, but nothing exciting. There was one guy there with a 914, but he said he is a VW fan, not really a 914 or Porsche fan.

The Vintage VW Club of Montgomery is having their annual Meltdown car show in Montgomery on July 29. Usually have a couple of us 914ers there and couple other Porsches. Also, the Central Alabama VW club is having their big annual show on August 26. I made up there last year and hope to get up there again. If you enjoy VW's, it's a nice show.

I only know of three 914 owners in the Montgomery area and we have 5 914's between us. If you ever want to get together, let me know.

It would be nice to have a big 914 event in the Southeast, but I'm not sure if there would be enough support or interested parties to get something at Barbers. Great track though. Maybe you can get something going.

Sounds like FUN! Can you PM me on info for the VW gatherings? Might be fun to hook up with you guys if possible...

I don't think the PCA would have me anyway, since BOTH of my teeners have Chevy motors. cool.gif Yep, I'm the red-headed albino stepchild with AIDS.

See you soon!

John
John G
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jul 21 2006, 09:58 PM) *

Well, I could help organize some of the SE get togethers. Yes, my location says virginia, but that is just for the summer. I am currently in south georgia, so I could help with FL and GA meets. We definetly dont do much down there, and there really are a lot of people around the Atlanta area. We need a redneck classic. Tour the mountains of north georgia in the fall...Give the Fall Foliage a run for its money.

Barry,

This sounds GREAT! Count me in....

Even a lunch or something somewhere might be a good start, then we can talk and scheme and plan.... Bwahahaaaaaa....

John
John G
Just for grins and giggles, I have e-mailed the track rental contact at the Barber Motorsports Park just to see how they set up track rental. My guess is that it's a "by the hour" situation, and it will probably be pretty costly per hour, since they staff an ambulance (hope nobody needs this), and a fire truck during all events.

Still, I'll find out the costs, and if we have enough people interested, maybe we could rent the track for a couple of hours as part of a larger get-together.

jsharp.gif

I'll report back here on costs and info when I get it.

Barbur is SO COOL we might even have more teener owners commuting in from a longer distance just to run that track.

Here's the link to this awesome facility: http://www.barbermotorsports.com/

John
Joe Ricard
Make sure you are sitting down when you get the response. we have been renting No Problem Raceway 1.8 mile 14 turn road course. 1500 for a week day 1700 for a Saturday and you got to make reservation very early. We madea reservation in May during out last one and Sept. 30 is the next one.
Best you can hope for is an invite from other clubs and join thier fun.
I believe Barber is twice as much but much nicer.

So Let's get together in Dothan on the 13th for and Autocross and cook out. 71914S (Barry) and I are going. I'll have my car on street tires but probably co drive Barry's car. I might do fun run in mine later.
URY914
Just a quess but I'd say Barber is in the $5000-8,000 range for a day.
But we're getting off the topic.

We've spoken about a get together in Florida but haven't done anything with it. It doesn't need to be at a track to drive on but it would be fun to meet at a car function/race/muesum etc. Meet at Roebling Road at a vintage race, at Jake's shop (maybe) in North Ga., Road Atlanta, Barber vintage races, Daytona, Brumos, Sebring (too far south), You need something to tie in to another evert IMO. Bunch of guys in a parking lot is cool for about 3 hours, than you need to go somewhere and see something.

Paul
72914S
Hey Joe lets put those tires on the Empi`s and see if we can smoke them up at Dothan.I got the front seal;going to dig into it Sunday.
grasshopper
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 22 2006, 06:12 AM) *

Just a quess but I'd say Barber is in the $5000-8,000 range for a day.
But we're getting off the topic.

We've spoken about a get together in Florida but haven't done anything with it. It doesn't need to be at a track to drive on but it would be fun to meet at a car function/race/muesum etc. Meet at Roebling Road at a vintage race, at Jake's shop (maybe) in North Ga., Road Atlanta, Barber vintage races, Daytona, Brumos, Sebring (too far south), You need something to tie in to another evert IMO. Bunch of guys in a parking lot is cool for about 3 hours, than you need to go somewhere and see something.

Paul

agree.gif Renting a track would be WAY WAY WAY too much for a first time gathering.Well, a nice size gathering. We could make it a weekend thing like WCC kind of. Friday night arrival and dinner, get up on Saturday, leave for (insert here.... large lap of North Geogia mountains?? End up at Jake Raby's shop? Road Atlanta?) return to hotel, big dinner, door prizes... not as big a WCC, but I think we could get a big group together from GA, AL, FL, SC, TN.... There are a lot of us here, but we never get together. I think Atlanta(north georgia) would be a good central point. Long haul for the FL people, but not as long as the Socal people drove to get to Portland.... Let's make this happen. Hey Paul, do you want to help organize one with me??(or the other way around, me helping you laugh.gif )
John G
Your proposal sounds great, Barry.

I might suggest that we look for a date in the Fall, since most of our cars don't have A/C, and August might be a bit oppressive. beer3.gif

I'm definitely in, and this gives me time to work out any issues with both of my cars. Wife Stacie and I will probably bring the wonder twins (what we have now been calling our two white 73's).

Woo hoo!

As for Dothan, I'll see if we can make it down for that. Sounds like fun!!

John
grasshopper
how about late september??
Howard
Brad's right. All it takes is one guy who wants to throw a party. Set a date, and figure that you will piss off somebody with that date. Forget tracks, goodies, events until you see how many people want to play.

Here's the member map. This sure isn't all the members (only 750 total have signed up there). It shows 301 914 folks in your area to pull from.
72914S
When its cooler for sure! Find some curvey roads. Not to many down this way. Dothan AL. Sunday Aug.13th, hope to see some of yall there.
shadygrady
Another gathering here in the Southeast sounds like a lot of fun. The west coasters have way too much fun. I just finished riding around North GA dodging rain showers today. Lewis Broyles wants to have another gathering at his shop and pool behind his house in Canton. We could have a cookout there after some driving around the mountains. There are curvy roads all around up here. There are some very nice ones in Northern Alabama, too. I had fun driving the teener to Ft. Payne a few weeks back.

Meeting at a track during a PCA drivers ed event is a lot of fun, too. Last May we had 8 at Carolina Motorsports Park. 8 is not a big number, but it was a start. Sure would be fun to have a whole bunch more.

A couple of years ago, we had 12 at Roebling Rd.

jsharp.gif driving.gif chowtime.gif beerchug.gif
grasshopper
well, it looks like we have 12 people already (me not included) I hope to have around 20 cars for the first year.
Quilmes
Hey guys I have been traveling on the road a lot lately so I have not checked in for a while now.
I’m personally a track junky but a good tour would not be a bad idea.
I think PCA has a track event in Sebring in Sept 17 or Savannah Roebling Road sometime in October plus I think it’s not that expensive to rent out Roebling. Georgia has some very nice road to do a tour on, but to put in a track day would be the icing on the cake. drunk.gif
If I don’t sell my 914-6 before then maybe I will be one the list to participate.

biggrin.gif

Quilmes

Jake Raby
I'd be willing to open up the shop and do some small workshops on engines...

We have some AWESOME roads within 20 miles of my shop...

The only issue is that all watercooled vehicles must park at the bottom of my driveway in their designated area and the occupants have to walk 300 yards up the side of the mountain to get into "Aircooled Heaven".... The only watercooled vehicles allowed through the gates are delivery vehicles-

I'd be willing to sponsor and help organize the event as I have lived in these hills all my life and know every good road there is within 100 miles!

As for tthe track: I'd say let the first one be a poker run, get together and fun run through the mountains and maybe next year it could grow into more..

Rebel rendevous sounds like a great name to me!
grasshopper
agree.gif The hope is for this to become an annual event. It should grow each year, pulling more people from the SE and maybe further. This year we are not going to try and put on something huge.
Jake Raby
I'll help however I can...

I got 4 emails from people wanting to tour my shop and I hardly ever do that, but I decided to (at least a few parts of it) for you guys if we can get the dates to correlate with my schedule...
carr914
I'm in depending on the dates.

T.C.
D1A3
I'm in!!!

Anyone PM me anytime for a weekend drive in N. Georgia. I'm in Roswell, about 10 miles north of Atlanta.

Ciao,
Jason
sharper
I'm game for a get together as long as its not in August. I'll be out of the country for pretty much the whole month.
grasshopper
check the nailed thread, the info for the event is there, it is on the 8th and 8th of september.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.