Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No horn
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stieve
I bought a set of 924 switches, and am almost done with the converesion, except for hooking the brown to ground and the hot to the pump then grounding the pump. I couldn't refuse adding the trun signal, because mine was disfunctional, ok it was broke. I added the Dino wheel, replaced the crush sleeve, and hooked up yhe button, and now nothing.
Dave_Darling
When you ground the wire that goes to the button, does the horn sound? The ignition must be on for this test.

If so, then you need to figure out why the wire isn't getting grounded when you push the button. If not, then you need to check further "downstream" at the horn relay (on 74+ cars) or at the horn itself.

--DD
Toast
make sure a wire isn't pinched or has not been cut/damaged on the steering wheel.
Stieve
I have a Dino wheel, so no problem with the wire, all self contained. If I wull off the wheel do I ground the brass horn tab to the steering shaft or just depess it to check?
lapuwali
Self-contained? How is the horn connected to the horn button, then? Magic? biggrin.gif

The horn wire has to be connected to the horn button somehow. That wire is on the ground side of the horn relay. The power side is permanently hooked up. When you press the button, the ground wire gets connected to the steering column, which is itself grounded. This completes the circuit and you get an earful of noise.
Stieve
OK, Fixed it, when I said sel contained, the wire to the button is contained in the wheel so no pinching will occur. I noticed when I pulled the wheel off the upper left screw had broke the plastic around it , I compared the 924 switch to the 914 exactly the same, except foe the wash wires. I left the upper screw out, tested with wheel off, and worked. put wheel on, didn't work, pulled wheel off, and rebent the contact on the switch to make contact with the contact area on the bottom of wheel. It now works, I didn't think anything about the upper left screw, making contact with the metal. Problem solved.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 21 2006, 01:00 PM) *

Self-contained? How is the horn connected to the horn button, then? Magic? biggrin.gif

The horn wire has to be connected to the horn button somehow. That wire is on the ground side of the horn relay. The power side is permanently hooked up. When you press the button, the ground wire gets connected to the steering column, which is itself grounded. This completes the circuit and you get an earful of noise.

agree.gif
scottb
QUOTE(Stieve @ Jul 21 2006, 04:57 PM) *

OK, Fixed it, when I said sel contained, the wire to the button is contained in the wheel so no pinching will occur. I noticed when I pulled the wheel off the upper left screw had broke the plastic around it , I compared the 924 switch to the 914 exactly the same, except foe the wash wires. I left the upper screw out, tested with wheel off, and worked. put wheel on, didn't work, pulled wheel off, and rebent the contact on the switch to make contact with the contact area on the bottom of wheel. It now works, I didn't think anything about the upper left screw, making contact with the metal. Problem solved.

come over and fix my horn now. i have a dino wheel as well. there is beer in the fridge!
Stieve
QUOTE(scottb @ Jul 21 2006, 06:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Stieve @ Jul 21 2006, 04:57 PM) *

come over and fix my horn now. i have a dino wheel as well. there is beer in the fridge!

Did your horn work before you changed? I noticed I needed to rebend the conact on the switch to make contact with it, since there is more of a gap between them, the wheel only seats down to the "C" clip on the shaft, which is good otherwise you would be activating the switches.
Where are you? If you near me not a problem. My next thing is the drivers door switch and adding an under dash light.
scottb
my car came to me with the dino wheel...

one day on the way to the denist, the horn decided it needed to awaken on its own.

i turned the car off, disconnected the horns, and went on my way. when i reconnected the horns.... nuthin.

no matter how i have swapped wiring, no sound shall rise from the cones....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.