Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High performance MPS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
I found these on Auto Atlanta's site. Are they any good? I may need to replace mine, and I may as well do this while I'm at it. Assuming it isn't crap, of course.
http://www.autoatlanta.net/action.lasso?-d...=10&-search
Sorry Bleyseng. I just found these today.
Mark D.
ptravnic
The description, um, lacks. If they are selling good MPS's alone at that price its a good deal. I'm guessing there's some sort of catch? confused24.gif
brownaar
popcorn[1].gif
lmcchesney
I guess to wait for Geoff to respond butttttt....
It sound too cheap to have redone the impedance parts of the MPS. I suspect they have removed the epoxy, cover screw and changed the WOT position. The resistor between temp sensor II and the ECU can be done with a variable resistor (potentiometer from radio shack) and adjusted to optimum. Measure the resistance and replace the variable with a fixed resistor placed in line with the temp sensor and ECU. Certainly cheaper than $270 plus shipping. And you learn a little, if not just to increase your vocabulary not used in mixed company.
Larry
TravisNeff
Sounds like BS to me. The resistor can help richen the mixture until the engine is fully warm and that's about it. As fo the MPS? It has to be tuned to your specific engine setup (if you differ from stock) all it will do is make it more rich or lean under certain conditions - other tuning would be required.
tdgray
I cry serious BS here... WTF.gif

Besides, IF this was some hot item and NEW as it says good ole' George would be charging $2,000 for it.

I'm sure Geoff will chime in.

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
drewvw

i've never had a problem with AA, but I would be pretty wary of buying any kind of MPS from them.

its probably a stock mps with some caulk and cheese curds squirted inside....

biggrin.gif
Oled
I think if you check the Bosch part number you will find it was used on early 2.0's and other brands of cars. The resisor just lets the engine run richer for a litle longer. I have this set up but I bought it from another vender locally and It runs just fine but I can't say I see a noticeable difference. I needed a new mps and this was the best priced unit by far.

Mine was new and a lot cheaper than those specified for later 914's.
John
The resistor between temp sensor II and the ECU can be done with a variable resistor (potentiometer from radio shack) and adjusted to optimum.

I didn't know Radio Shack (cell phone shack) still sold electronic components. The last time I was in one (and it will probably be my last time) the punk ass in there told me they didn't sell that stuff anymore. Only cell phones and junk RC toys........

I left.

BTW, I would not trust George or AA with anything. Lies, lies, lies....... (um, sure we have that on the shelf......)
Mike D.
I bought this from AA several years ago. It is a Stock MPS, new in the box, not rebuilt, and a head temp sensor resister. The resistor changes the input to the FI and richens the mixture by making it think the engine is cold.

My car would not pass smog with the resistor in place.

BMXerror
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Jul 21 2006, 12:29 PM) *

I bought this from AA several years ago. It is a Stock MPS, new in the box, not rebuilt, and a head temp sensor resister. The resistor changes the input to the FI and richens the mixture by making it think the engine is cold.

My car would not pass smog with the resistor in place.

AHhhh.... I see. Well, that's why I asked. It sounds good to an idiot who doesn't know what he's looking at (IE, me), but at least the idiot has 'friends' that do. Thanks guys. By the way, what do you think of this kit?
http://www.autoatlanta.net/action.lasso?-d...=10&-search
And as for Radio Schmack, whenever I go in there they ask, "can I help you." My answer varies from, "Not even if I wanted you to." to, "Sure. I need some expert advice on '70s vintage Porsche electronics." I love the faces I get.
Mark D.
drewvw

radio shack is definitely not as cool as it used to be. I ended up finding a little mom and pop electronics store right around the corner

If anybody needs resistors let me know....I got a good supply and have become pretty good at building "plug and play" resistor components for the CHT line.

Brad Roberts
The last 3 2.0 engines I have built with Euro P+C's/CC'd heads/all the goodies+ some more cool stuff.. all required a 270ohm resistor or they would not idle.

I'm still trying to get a dyno day scheduled here in SD for some real tuning with the variable pot.

B
72914S
QUOTE(drewvw @ Jul 21 2006, 03:55 PM) *

radio shack is definitely not as cool as it used to be. I ended up finding a little mom and pop electronics store right around the corner

If anybody needs resistors let me know....I got a good supply and have become pretty good at building "plug and play" resistor components for the CHT line.

Tell me about your plug and play components for the CHT. I tried the 270 om resistor attached to the sensor "no worky" I`m using a Radio shack potenteometer.
Brad Roberts
What do you mean by "it didnt work"? the car didnt start? or it didnt run any better?

B
72914S
started but died, acted like it wasn`t getting any fuel.
tod914
My 75 had one on it when I first got it. Think the shop that did a service played houdini with it. Was that standard for a 75 2.0??? If so where can I get a factory replacement.
tod914
039 971 762 A resistor with temp sensor GA0 016 000 is that the same thing?
krazykonrad
The only problem is it will take you like 3 years to actually get the part shipped to you by AA!!! av-943.gif
Konrad
tod914
Just read up on Brad Anders site regarding the "hot set up".

" Special Cases: I only have one specific case, the introduction of the 2.0L motor for the 914 in 1973. It's clear that this motor had a different speed correction curve than the 1.7L, but the motor was introduced using the 1.7L's ECU. My conjecture is that Bosch and/or VW-Porsche had not completed the development and design of the 2.0L ECU, so they had to go with the 1.7L's. Higher flow rate injectors were used to account for the basic mixture difference, but that still didn't handle the changes in the Ve curve. To accommodate, Bosch made a slight change in the MPS - they tweaked it to have a richer full-load response, and they changed the resistance characteristics of the head temperature sensor. First, they changed the set-point of the sensor at 20 C from 2.5 K ohms to 1.3 K ohms, and added a ballast (static) resistor of 270 ohms in series. This brought the cold engine (sitting overnight, ambient temp 20 C) resistance to 1.57 K ohms, considerably leaner than before - this was usually dealt with by running the idle mixture richer, but '73's were always a bit harder to get going when cold. When hot, however, the ballast resistance kept the hot resistance value considerably higher (richer) than would the standard sensor. The richer mixture produced good part-load and full-load response, even with the more choked-off Ve response of the 1.7L ECU. Note that Automobile Atlanta has sold a "hot European setup" for many years - a '73 MPS, temp sensor, and ballast resistor. Gives you a richer part-load mixture for more power - oh, and more emissions and higher fuel consumption, too. "
Bleyseng
agree.gif

its just a 037 MPS and if its a real 037 (calibrated) which are hard to find its a steal at $269.

rebuilts which from the ones I have seen and tried sucked, but for $269 someone should try it again to see if it works.

On a 74-76 djet setup it will be pretty rich unless you are running a improved 2056 motor. Idle is much richer setup than a 74-76 MPS as I still have one OEM 037 MPS to calibrate off of.

I sell the rebuilt 043 and 037's mostly as those are really hard to find or $$$$ NOS.

Still working on the 2056 settings.... mad.gif but getting real close biggrin.gif

Whats that saying "there is no such thing as a free lunch"

av-943.gif
914rat
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Jul 21 2006, 12:17 PM) *

The resistor between temp sensor II and the ECU can be done with a variable resistor (potentiometer from radio shack) and adjusted to optimum.

I didn't know Radio Shack (cell phone shack) still sold electronic components. The last time I was in one (and it will probably be my last time) the punk ass in there told me they didn't sell that stuff anymore. Only cell phones and junk RC toys........

I left.

BTW, I would not trust George or AA with anything. Lies, lies, lies....... (um, sure we have that on the shelf......)

sheeplove.gif I don't understand why your credit card was charged 3 times for one purchase.let me transfer you to customer service.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 22 2006, 03:14 PM) *

Just read up on Brad Anders site regarding the "hot set up".

" Special Cases: I only have one specific case, the introduction of the 2.0L motor for the 914 in 1973. It's clear that this motor had a different speed correction curve than the 1.7L, but the motor was introduced using the 1.7L's ECU. My conjecture is that Bosch and/or VW-Porsche had not completed the development and design of the 2.0L ECU, so they had to go with the 1.7L's. Higher flow rate injectors were used to account for the basic mixture difference, but that still didn't handle the changes in the Ve curve. To accommodate, Bosch made a slight change in the MPS - they tweaked it to have a richer full-load response, and they changed the resistance characteristics of the head temperature sensor. First, they changed the set-point of the sensor at 20 C from 2.5 K ohms to 1.3 K ohms, and added a ballast (static) resistor of 270 ohms in series. This brought the cold engine (sitting overnight, ambient temp 20 C) resistance to 1.57 K ohms, considerably leaner than before - this was usually dealt with by running the idle mixture richer, but '73's were always a bit harder to get going when cold. When hot, however, the ballast resistance kept the hot resistance value considerably higher (richer) than would the standard sensor. The richer mixture produced good part-load and full-load response, even with the more choked-off Ve response of the 1.7L ECU. Note that Automobile Atlanta has sold a "hot European setup" for many years - a '73 MPS, temp sensor, and ballast resistor. Gives you a richer part-load mixture for more power - oh, and more emissions and higher fuel consumption, too. "

My 2.0 liter has one of these. It was the first and last item I ever bought from AA. When it finally appeared I thought it must be the second coming...
Looking at the numbers it appears to be a 1.7 liter MPS that has been rebuilt and recalibrated. I ran the resistor for a while and then removed the resistor. My 2.0 liter is stock with just exhaust modification or at least it will be modified when my Tangerine Racing Header arrives...
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Jul 24 2006, 05:44 PM) *

...My 2.0 liter is stock with just exhaust modification or at least it will be modified when my Tangerine Racing Header arrives...

Umm,
Rob?
I wonder if he went out to the garage as soon as he got home today.

I bought one of those hopped up MPS units from AA when I started racing in ITB.
I think I have it tucked away somewhere now. confused24.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 24 2006, 06:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Jul 24 2006, 05:44 PM) *

...My 2.0 liter is stock with just exhaust modification or at least it will be modified when my Tangerine Racing Header arrives...

Umm,
Rob?
I wonder if he went out to the garage as soon as he got home today.

I bought one of those hopped up MPS units from AA when I started racing in ITB.
I think I have it tucked away somewhere now. confused24.gif

Nope Chris... Not yet. I was home all day. Martin Baker has a bet going with me that it will take a year from the time I ordered. Clearly he will lose that one.
He and I just stood in the driveway, well actually walked all over my property talking about how this header is installed. He was talking about spring loaded methods and such and I told him I just did not know. I told him I am sure that the thing comes with super secret squirrel instructions from Chris... We had deer and wild turkey walking around us that whole time... Funny, I have a cat that didn't want to tangle with those birds!
I suspect if you got it off on Monday that it will be here tomorrow. I will be at work though. Although it will not suprise me if Martin has it on when I get home from work tomorrow.
I am a pretty patient guy Chris. Besides, like I said, No one is going to die if the header is not on the car tomorrow. Both UPS and Fed Ex drivers are fond of saying that they could not find the house and could I pick it up at the warehouse since they do not want to try my driveway. I even had one who tried to say my golden retriever was a vicious dog and he could not deliver. Actually that one worked. Apparently it is in their union contract. They did finally pull him off the truck and put him in the warehouse again.
If I catch Martin before he goes Super Mechanic and installs it, I will try to take some pics and do a Tangerine install thread.

Rob
ChrisFoley
When I read your post yesterday I immediately looged onto my FedEx acct and I thought it said they were delivered yesterday. In actuality they are going out for delivery today.
I put beaucoup insurance on the system so a signature will be required.

Back on topic, whan I built my ITB car someone sold me a variable resistor in a little box that I hooked up. Best performance was when the resistor was set to a little below 3oo ohms. This was on a primarily stock 1.7L. I didn't care about gas mileage but I had the most power that way.
DNHunt
Rob

I concur on the driveway. With a lightened flywheel it is tough on clutches.

Dave
ConeDodger
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Jul 25 2006, 07:12 AM) *

Rob

I concur on the driveway. With a lightened flywheel it is tough on clutches.

Dave

I imagine Gerry has a little more experience with driving the teener now too. I seem to recall he was driving when you guys hit the hairpin at the top?

Back on topic, the MPS will stay in mine until I get close enough to Bowlsby or Bleysing to have them test and adjust it. I pulled the resistor on Martin Bakers advice.

As for the header, unless Martin is here which would be after say 3pm, or I am here before 9am I will have to go pick up the header in Rancho Cordova Fed Ex. 5 minute drive. Better than UPS which is a 1/2 hour drive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.