Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Tire Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
If I am buying a set of tires exclusively for a/x purposes. Is there any reason NOT to go all the way to 205/50s? Will a 205/60 has the same width as a 205/55 or a 205/50?

I am thinking about rubbing on the rear fenders obviously.

I currently have 195/65 on Fuchs with LOTS of room (nearly an inch). So I am hoping that 205/50 on a set of Pedrini's will also fit.

Any other advantages/disadvantages of /60 vs /55 vs /50?

Comments?
Allan
The lower the profile the faster the launch....
Brad Roberts
JR,

dont be afraid to ask questions! It bothers me greatly when people are hesitate to ask what they feel are "dumb" questions. I know a LOT of the members give snide/BS comments/remarks when it comes to newbies asking questions. I would like to see this slowed down. Just answer the question. If you dont have anything nice to say... you know the drill.

Falkins: 205/50/15 The most stick you can buy for under $100 per tire.

B
Joe Ricard
So what does strictly for Autocross purposes "REALLY" mean.
What it means to me if you are in C-stock Kumho V700 Ecsta is the absolute minimum tire 205/50-15 it will run on Fuchs with 1/4 inch spacer and clear the inner fender outer is no problem.

Hoosier A3S05 or A6 isa BIG ASS tire in 205/50-15 and you WILL run into clearance problem with stock fenders But boy they are a Hoot.

Another tire that rocks the Street tire classes is the Hankook RS-2 I just put a set of these on the my car for street or rainy AX days.
79.00 bucks a tire.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 21 2006, 05:01 PM) *

JR,

dont be afraid to ask questions! It bothers me greatly when people are hesitate to ask what they feel are "dumb" questions. I know a LOT of the members give snide/BS comments/remarks when it comes to newbies asking questions. I would like to see this slowed down. Just answer the question. If you dont have anything nice to say... you know the drill.

B

Just had my Falken R615 205/50/15s installed last week, and they really do stick! Only complaint is that the sidewall seems a bit flexiable at 34/36 f/r pounds of pressure. I'll try bumping up to 36/38 here this weekend to see if feels better.

Cheers,
Allan

JR,

B

I hope you didn't direct that at me Brad.

This is a lesson I have learned from both racing bikes and from the members of this board.

I was not trying to be snide or give a bs answer. I was just stating what I know.

The smaller the diameter of the rotating mass, the faster it will spin up.

If I am mistaken please correct me....
Joe Ricard
Allen, what are you looking to do with your car?
Since I have been on the slippery slope of autocrossing for 2 years now I might be able to help you avoid some of the pitfalls.
So.Cal.914

JR,

B

Ahh Brad I don't mean nutin by it, I usually give an answer afterwards. And if their

skin is that thin the "it's a VW" comments will get them long before we do. Iam

still here arn't I?
jr91472
Thanks for all the comments guys.

What does a/x mean? Well I guess I am probably still figuring that out myself. What I do know is that until my motor gives out, I am NOT looking at adding HP to the car. Plus, shortening run times has more to do with me than the car right now anyway. But, putting more rubber on the ground won't hurt either.

Based on comments above, it sounds like the same tire size in different brands may or may not equal the same fender clearance.

I have been looking at Kumho ECSTA 711's (in 205/50). Anyone tried these?
Joe Bob
AX is autocross.....
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=13766

Check the above out...will get you started on abbreviations and slang.....

FLAPS threw me for a long time until someone ELSE asked what it meant...

YMMV.
JPB
Sounds to me like you wanna get into the race thing and thats very cool. Noone here has mentioned the fact that these sticky AX tires don't last all that long and if you wanna race alot, you will get a chance to try different tires before your season is over. Racing ain't cheep on tires!

beer.gif How about tire life expectancy fellas? He may wanna know that also.
Joe Ricard
Well I did mention that in the PM exchange we had.
Kumho 711 Ecsta is CRAP for Autocross. so is Yokohama AVS ES100
absolutely worthless.

In my opinion Azenis RT615 or Hankook RS-2 are the only street tire worth the time and effort. Nice tires for STS2

Yes DOT R tires are not created equally and the most expensive are not always the best. Getting down to it the battle between Kumho V710 and Hoosier A6 is gettig pretty close. the difference now is which performs better on concrete vs asphault.
Caution the sign ahead says "Slippery slope" once you take a hit off the DOT R compound tire CRACK PIPE you wll never go back. only graduate to Slicks which is equal to nothing else.
Elliot_Cannon

JR,

B

So, what's the best wax to use on my 914? Is WD40 bad for the paint?

Elliot
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 22 2006, 07:52 PM) *

JR,

B

Elliot

Only if ya get Herculiner on yer Hootus.... blink.gif
Trekkor
a/x'ing will destroy most sticky tires by 8 events.

$$$

The 710's feel the best to me.

Randy, run the Falkens at 39/41 fr/r.

KT
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 22 2006, 07:52 PM) *

Elliot

I don't know but it should help it to slip thru the air quicker, shouldn't it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.