Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roller project questions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bosurf
Hey Club,

I bought a roller about 4 months ago (74' 1.8L). So far very minimal rust. It came with its original side shift but it looks like it has a hairline crack in the case, might have that repaired unless i pick up another cheap. It also came with 2 engines in which the PO said one was a 2L and the other 1.8L. Both are pretty haggered. I can't confirm if they are bus or teen'r engines. I'll run the #'s by you guys when i get home. Maybe some one with mechanical prowess could use something off them. I don't think i could tackle that right now. Don't think they are worth rebuilding. I am going to need the whole Drivetrain. Clutch pedal is missing all the way back to the exhaust. I want to start priming and cleaning things up while engine is out, I am on hold right now on spending too much due to a personal business startup. Any ideas on some cheap projects i can do, until the drivetrain happens. I don't know where to start, (undercoating, fuel lines, brake lines??) I will post some pics when i get home. On a side note am i the only club member in Idaho?? This car has not seen action probally since the eighties. Gas tank is missing cap and surface rust around tank opening. Just thought you guys could bombard me with some ideas, thanks in advance-- I think w00t.gif

Dave.
Brad Roberts
Hi!

Get us some digital pics of the parts. We can help you out.

I'm betting what you *think* is a hairline crack is actually casting flash.

You can also run the numbers by us.

The good 2.0 engines from 73+74 start with GA for the code.

B

SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 21 2006, 05:17 PM) *

Get us some digital pics of the parts. We can help you out.

agree.gif we love pics!
So.Cal.914
If you do have a 2.0 you will need a core of somekind, a 2.0 would be great for

that. If it hasn't run in that long check the tank on the inside for rust. You can

also pull the suspension and replace bushings. Are you going to strip it down

to the tub for restoration?
krazykonrad
Sell the engines and by a six!
Konrad
bosurf
Ok i'm waiting for some more pics to hit my email of the parts and engines. In the meantime, one of the motors has a # of W0159060 with a vw encircled in the front, VW engine???The other i can't find yet might be under some gunk. The tranny has an uneven crack which is seeping a slow stain under it. Question is should i fix, is it a simple weld to seal? Also if i do fix is there a certain type of paint i could doll it up to make it look clean??? So.Cal.914 brings up a question that i have been bouncing around, strip it down for a full? Do i have the money and the patience or do a quickie and drive this thing. I do want to make sure this is the right candidate to go with a full resto. And how much can i do myself, (learning curve). This site is the best thing I have seen in any car club, and with that said i do have more confidence to take this on. But parts are getting more expensive. 6 years ago when i had a 2L,parts were all over and reasonable. Thanks Guys. The front bumper is off for some dent mods and primer, will try to throw some parts pics in there.
bosurf
Here is some pics of the parts that came with it. The tranny is leaking fluid from the crack. Hard to take pic of it, there is a seam that looks like a crack with flashing but this crack is by itself right where you would set it on the ground, thinking it has been dropped moving around. But, what would you start doing to this kart on a budget to clean it up. Suspension bushings, bearings, undercoating? I might need some help with missing parts and peices. I want to refresh fuel lines ( racerchris's kit). things like that. I need some thought's where to start. I am probally on my own out here in the boondooks of idaho, since i have counted 914 sightings on both my hands in the 10 years i have been here. Thanks Y'All.

Dave__
Al Meredith
Take a close look at the SN that has a VW in a circle and see if the circle is arrows going in a circle. That is a VW factory rebuilt engine. I bought one once at an auction and when I took it apart I found it to have NEW heads, with the printed part # still on it. I had another in a crew cab I had once. Quietest engine I've ever heard. Al
bosurf
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Jul 22 2006, 11:07 AM) *

Take a close look at the SN that has a VW in a circle and see if the circle is arrows going in a circle. That is a VW factory rebuilt engine. I bought one once at an auction and when I took it apart I found it to have NEW heads, with the printed part # still on it. I had another in a crew cab I had once. Quietest engine I've ever heard. Al

No arrows on the circle, after the last # though there is a little circle with what looks like an arrowhead, or even looks like a sideways Motorola symbol. The other engine is missing #'s , i looked all over the top of the case. Both are basket cases i think. I might break one down for the educational expeirence. What is a good low budget way of undercoating and painting suspension parts. I am pretty fly with a Rattle Can!! Also i see alot of reference to por 15. Is that a rust inhibitor??

Dave
So.Cal.914
I had to replace my case when a valve broke, went thru the piston and sent a chunk

of said piston onto the counter balance of my crank. 6000 RPM's sent that chunk

exploding thru the top of the case like a armor piercing round, no numbers on

a replacment. Alot of the guys use Por-15 for just that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.