Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reinstalled Motor and it looks out of alignment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
After reinstalling my motor this week (first timer!), there is space around the motor tin at the front of the motor (nearest the fan). Can/should I loosen the mounting bolts and try to nudge it forward? Is this bad? I would like to do it, if for nothing else, the aesthetics - looks like it was done by a rookie!!
krazykonrad
Way too much space! How to fix it I know not. just removing a piece of engine tin and trying to replace it correctly was way to much to me!
Konrad
grasshopper
I agree, Mine was the same way when I reinstalled the motor. It is better now, but there are still gaps, with does cause it to get quite hot in stop and go traffic.
vesnyder
Grasshopper - how is it better now? Did it fix itself or did you move it forward?

There appears to be some ability to motor mounts forward - I will give it a try - I guess.
r_towle
look at the rear transmission bolts..
You can move the package (motor and trans) forward till those bolts are all the way into the slots...

How I do it ,,

Car on the ground.
floor jack, all wheels facing forward, put a board on top of the jack, and jack up the motor from the sump...just slightly...to relieve the pressure.
Loosen the four bolts that hold the motor in place...remove the shifter rod first, or loose it up...
I used two rachet straps attached up front to the suspension..and around the motor bar...
rachet it forward till the tranny bolts are as far as they will go..the tighten it all back up.
You should get the tin within about 1 inch of the front engine shelf tin..the rubber makes up the difference.
I also found it easier if you remove the side rubber (just unhook it from the engine tin) so it slides better...
Now,
When you thing your done...measure between the engine and firewall on both sides...try to get the motor as square as you can in the car...it makes shifting work better..

Rich
So.Cal.914
This is your first time......I will try to be gentle. The rear tin on your engine, does

it match up to the gasket in the engine compartment? Is the front piece of tin

on the engine? Does the engine compartment have a gasket. Pic's Man, Pic's..
michelko
Is the front mounting bar straight?

I have one that must have been bent in an accident. Slightly bent but didnĀ“t let the eingine sits right.

smilie_flagge6.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.