Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire vibration at freeway speeds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
I have a V-8 car with a 5 lug conversion. Now I have had basically the same vibration since I got the car running. I have had a number of different tires and rims on the front end all balanced and still have a vibration around 60 or so. The ball joints are new and I don't feel any play in the wheel bearings. I did notice some threads but really wish to get some opinions via the information I am giving. I also notice the wheel weights haven't been place on the outside of the rim ever. I wonder if the guys are trying to keep them all inside for looks, and might be causing the problem.
brer
sure its the fronts?
do you have drilled rear hubs?

you could check to see if they drilled them true.
So.Cal.914
Weights on the inside is common practice. I would inspect your wheel bearings

out of the car, if OK grease and reinstall, should be done every year or so anyway.

I do them when I do the brakes.
drive-ability
brer

sure its the fronts?
do you have drilled rear hubs?
you could check to see if they drilled them true.

I guess I should know more about the rear hubs but I think they aren't drilled, something tells me there 911 stub axle's. I do feel the steering wheel vibrate but really the rear could be causing a vibration its just not noticeable because of the front is shaking.

so.cal.914,
Weights on the inside is common practice. I would inspect your wheel bearings

out of the car, if OK grease and reinstall, should be done every year or so anyway.

I do them when I do the brakes.

I haven't look in there as yet, that is my next place to inspect.

Any other suggestions ???? driving.gif
So.Cal.914
Give it a Xanax?
GWN7
As you have swapped different tires and rims and the vibration is still there you can rule out belt separation in the tires as a cause.

Does the vibration go away after 60 or get worse?
Tobra
What sort of shape are your ball joints, tie rod ends and bushings?
messix
i had the vibration in the steering wheel, didnt shake the car so much as the wheel. turned out to be the front wheel bearings, they felt good no play ect. but new ones cured the problem.

on tear down the greese looked old and soaped up, a little water will turn some greeses to soap and harden.
neo914-6
Two things caused vibration in my V8 car once it was back on the road after 15+ years:

hard tires

need of 4 wheel alignment
JPB
I had this happen to me in another car and the vibes were only once I went 60+. You said that this has been a problem for a while even before the new parts so it could be this overlooked possibility. Are your rear Ebreak cabels to tight? Loosen them up a little and let me know.

beer.gif Been there and fixed that. You can shake a car appart with that problem.
drive-ability
QUOTE(JPB @ Jul 22 2006, 05:28 AM) *

I had this happen to me in another car and the vibes were only once I went 60+. You said that this has been a problem for a while even before the new parts so it could be this overlooked possibility. Are your rear Ebreak cabels to tight? Loosen them up a little and let me know.

beer.gif Been there and fixed that. You can shake a car appart with that problem.

Hello,
I don't have an e-brake system at all, 911 rear disk brakes, The vibration has been there since day one. The only thing I haven't changed is the wheel bearings. I have new turbo tie-rod ends, ball joints and needle bearings. I have used 4 different new tires and 3 sets of rims during the build up. I haven't really tried to do much about the problem and the above parts were all just a part of the basic build.
Wheel bearings are the only thing left..
I will post any findings for sure.. driving.gif
bondo
I've had bad shocks cause a problem like this (not on a 914). It showed up as unusual tire wear though. New shocks fixed the tire wear and the vibration.
Toast
To get rid of my vibration at speed, an alignment didn't work, but balancing did.
marks914
Front wheel bearings.

Its a good place to start. My car had the same issue.

As for balancing weights, you should be able to run with them on the inside only. Make sure that when they are balanced, the weights don't hit the caliper and come off. (that happened to me too)

Mark
dflesburg
Leave it on the jackstands. Mine hasnt vibrated in almost 14 years...
drive-ability
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jul 23 2006, 09:08 AM) *

Leave it on the jackstands. Mine hasnt vibrated in almost 14 years...

Ha Ha Ha,
Its on jackstands now, and its smooth as glass. Now that I need grease seals, with 911( year unknown ) front spindles whats the quickest / best way to get them? I have the driver side off and it looks perfect, I have to move the garage over (one car match box garage barf.gif) to get the other side apart. spank.gif chair.gif
Brad Roberts
Steering rack.

B
drive-ability
I got the vibration repaired, well I went to the tire shop and stood behind the guy. What can I say, the tires were balanced incorrectly / ? I had the guys check the existing balance and it was crap. They tried to say the weights fell off but I know they didn't but I'm happy. I help the guy re balance and install the weights correctly. In the mean time I did replace the front wheel bearings good to know they are new now, however the old ones where perfect. The ball joints, tie rods, control arm bushings/needle bearings were all closely inspected as well. Nice to know everything is installed correctly and working well together. Drives nice at speed now. biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Yea you should try to explain Lug centric to a knuckle dragger.
I went to 3 shops. Finally the last shop let me go in back and I showed him the pin adapter for the machine. We set the pins to 4 x 130 and I stood off in the distance watching the machine read 000 L 000 R
had to get 45 degree cone lug nuts 14 x 1.5 to center the lug holes with the studs. (that's a whole nuther story)
Truely a PITA but the old rule of you get what you inspect stands true again. Make them do it right and let them know you really do know what you are talking about. Seems to be good up to 75 MPH. This weekend I'll get it over 100 and see what happens aktion035.gif

Next it to explain to the machine shop what I want done for the new motor. Oh the agony.
drive-ability
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 26 2006, 11:09 AM) *

I went to 3 shops. Finally the last shop let me go in back and I showed him the pin adapter for the machine. We set the pins to 4 x 130 and I stood off in the distance watching the machine read 000 L 000 R
had to get 45 degree cone lug nuts 14 x 1.5 to center the lug holes with the studs. (that's a whole nuther story)
Truely a PITA but the old rule of you get what you inspect stands true again. Make them do it right and let them know you really do know what you are talking about. Seems to be good up to 75 MPH. This weekend I'll get it over 100 and see what happens aktion035.gif

Next it to explain to the machine shop what I want done for the new motor. Oh the agony.

I am one that understands the difference now after reading a bit on line, but am not sure if my wheels are Hub or lug centric, I have 911 5 lug with factory hubs and Fuch rims. They surely look like a hub centric setup but can someone confirm this? driving.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Jul 26 2006, 05:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 26 2006, 11:09 AM) *

I am one that understands the difference now after reading a bit on line, but am not sure if my wheels are Hub or lug centric, I have 911 5 lug with factory hubs and Fuch rims. They surely look like a hub centric setup but can someone confirm this? driving.gif

Yea probably hub centric. my 928 was Hubcentric and later 914's were hub centric on the front and all 914-4's are Lug centric in the back.
I think all early 911's are the same hub in front lug in back.

Ya'll want to smooth out your 914 have the rears done lugcentric. You would be suprised how many hubs are made with the hole NOT in the middle of the wheel. EMPI replicas. Early Pedrini. Centerline, Diamond Racing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.