Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best source for:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Randal
I know I know this has been posted 100 times before, but where do you get the bits to install a removable steering wheel and how hard is it to install?
Somewhere on e-bay

Does it stick out more than the normal wheel? Like I need to know this before I bolt my seat in...... smash.gif
Trekkor
Seems like it moves the wheel 2" closer to you.

The quick release hubs are available at I/O, Wine Country, etc.

Nate said he just got one. Check with him.

KT
Randal
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jul 21 2006, 08:45 PM) *

Seems like it moves the wheel 2" closer to you.

The quick release hubs are available at I/O, Wine Country, etc.

Nate said he just got one. Check with him.

KT

Any one try one of these with a 914?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NRG-QUICK-R...sspagenameZWDVW
turboman808
Alot of import guys use that quick release. I personaly wouldn't even though I have never heard of any failures. Problem is NRG doesn't really make there parts they just slap there logo on an existing part. I've seen that exact same quick release with 3 different companies printed on it.

Doesn't means it bad just make me sceptical.
Joe Bob
MOMO makes one....you loose the horn button in most cases.....
nine14cats
Randal,

I use the Smart Racing Products quick release. It moves the steering wheel ~2 inches closer to you.

It's slightly pricey at $219, but my system was on the 914-6 for 2 years and is currently on Fritz and we've had no problems (not counting a well known instructor who didn't click it on correctly and it came off at Buttonwillow between turns 2 and 3....but that's another story! happy11.gif )...

Bill P.
nebreitling
i have an ebay model sim. to what randal linked to. no doubt prolly made in china. makes ingress/egress much easier.

it's a "cheap" solution, no doubt. but i haven't had a single problem with it. you can only put it on one way, and i can't possibly see how it could come off. it's impossible to put on only 'half-way'. billet aluminum, pretty sturdy.

it has a very slight amount of play inherent to its design (less so than other QRs). moreover, it kicks the wheel back a couple inches -- thus exacerbating any play you have in your column bushings. i like the way it puts the wheel closer -- i'd been wanting to do that anyway and much prefer the ergonomics of it -- but others may feel it's too close. randal, i should have had you sit in my car and try it out.

the hub centric ring on the momo adapter had to be ground off to bolt the QR base on it.
Randal
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Aug 4 2006, 06:30 PM) *

Randal,

I use the Smart Racing Products quick release. It moves the steering wheel ~2 inches closer to you.

It's slightly pricey at $219, but my system was on the 914-6 for 2 years and is currently on Fritz and we've had no problems (not counting a well known instructor who didn't click it on correctly and it came off at Buttonwillow between turns 2 and 3....but that's another story! happy11.gif )...

Bill P.

No fair only telling part of the story Bill.
DanT
I'll fess up.....It was a few years ago....BW clockwise....First lap out we round turn 2 and as I unwind the steering wheel it comes off in my hands...under acceleration....
I say to Bill....this is not a good thing smile.gif I calmly push the wheel on so the first part of the splines engage enough to get the car off track drivers side....
Pull the release...push the wheel back on and then pull so hard I bet Bill thought I was going to pull out the steering shaft biggrin.gif
Tool around and go into to speak with Chilli....I tell him the story....he laughs and sends us back out on track....end of story...

Now everytime I drive a car with a removable steering wheel I pull on it like I am trying to open a steel safe door.... blink.gif

That was the first and last time for that particular "dumkopf" move.
campbellcj
I have the Tekniq one and it is very nice. There is no slop at all due to the pin type of attachment vs. splines. It does move the wheel a bit closer to you, as I think all of these things do. You can partly compensate for that in your choice of steering wheel i.e. don't get a deep-dished one if you have long arms, get a flatter one, or vice versa if you have shorter arms.
DNHunt
I'll fess up.....It was a few years ago....BW clockwise....First lap out we round turn 2 and as I unwind the steering wheel it comes off in my hands...under acceleration....
I say to Bill....this is not a good thing smile.gif I calmly push the wheel on so the first part of the splines engage enough to get the car off track drivers side....
Pull the release...push the wheel back on and then pull so hard I bet Bill thought I was going to pull out the steering shaft biggrin.gif
Tool around and go into to speak with Chilli....I tell him the story....he laughs and sends us back out on track....end of story...

Somehow this is destroying my image of instructors.

Dave
DanT
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Aug 5 2006, 07:13 AM) *

Somehow this is destroying my image of instructors.

Dave

confused24.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Aug 4 2006, 09:19 PM) *

Now everytime I drive a car with a removable steering wheel I pull on it like I am trying to open a steel safe door.... blink.gif

That was the first and last time for that particular "dumkopf" move.

Well my view is that if I have to be with anyone when that happens Dan, it's you.

Nice job on the recovery.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.