Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bought a beautiful original 914-6 tonight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
kenschipper
Picked it up in San Jose this evening and drove it home about 60 miles to San Juan Bautista on the backroads. Much, much different than my 2.0 four. Only took about 20 miles to get the hang of the tail shifter. Was thinking about swaping in a side shifter but don't think so now. May have to keep the '74 so my wife can drive that one.

Original 914-6 with 73,650 documented miles. About as original as they come. 2.0 with top end rebuild about 5,000 miles ago. Rebuilt transmission. All original interior including radio. Paint job looks new. I asked the PO when he had it repainted. Replied that it was repainted by the owner prior to him. Looked brand new to me (I have had four neighbors ask about the new paint job already)

Bumpers were rechromed, seals are all new. Carpet in new. Guages were sent out and redone. Everything works. Came with and additional set of polished 6 x 15 Fuchs.

Only thing keeping it from being a full concors car is the motor is not original to the car. Still a 914-6 motor but not numbers matching. And the tool kit has some Sears screw drivers.

Time to go out and have a beer and just enjoy looking at it.

Enjoy the photos.
Ken Schipper

Click to view attachment
kenschipper
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
kenschipper
Click to view attachment
kenschipper
Click to view attachment
kenschipper
Click to view attachment
Qarl
Excuse me... but you Kalifornia people suck....

Nice ride! beerchug.gif
kenschipper
Click to view attachment
kenschipper
Click to view attachment
iamchappy
Great purchase! WoW

Why would anyone sell such a beautiful car.
kenschipper
Click to view attachment
G e o r g e
Schweet! smilie_pokal.gif
kenschipper
Click to view attachment
kenschipper
Click to view attachment
Joe Bob
Very nice....I passed by SJ Bautista on the way home a couple of nights ago.....never been there.

Looks like some nice homes....don't forget to list the VIN for Gustl.....

Above 20K?

I just missed one in Texas for 18K....
kenschipper
Click to view attachment
dekman
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S K E N ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! She looks beautiful...you've certainly waitied a long time. Very happy for you! Welcome to the "6" club! Hopefully I will get a chance to see her at the Historics this year. dance.gif clap56.gif
kenschipper
Just a small development of 30 new homes that the town forced the architects to match the local character. Only 1,400 residents. Just a small mission town.
kenschipper
Paid exactly $20,000 for it. Down slightly from the asking price of $23,000.

Ken
kenschipper
QUOTE(dekman @ Jul 21 2006, 09:33 PM) *

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S K E N ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! She looks beautiful...you've certainly waitied a long time. Very happy for you! Welcome to the "6" club! Hopefully I will get a chance to see her at the Historics this year. dance.gif clap56.gif

Thanks Rob. Been reading previous listings about differences between 4's and 6's while I was waiting for the deal to go through. Mabye it's just the newness of it all but to me the 6 is a pretty big step above the 4. I always parked the 4 after a run with a grin on my face. Now the grin lasts a whole lot longer.

Unfortunately I have to go out of town for the weekend so tonights ride will have to do until next weekend.

Contact me if you get down for the historics. Kathy and I would love to see you (and Linda if the wedding cancels)

Ken Schipper
JoeSharp

I always parked the 4 after a run with a grin on my face. Now the grin lasts a whole lot longer.

Ken: Thats how I got :PERMAGRIN:.
Joe
Gustl
looks like a really nice car - congrats thumb3d.gif

QUOTE(ZZZZZ @ Jul 22 2006, 06:32 AM) *

....don't forget to list the VIN for Gustl.....

oh yeah ... that would be nice ... especially if it's a MY'70 rolleyes.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
Was that the one on craigslist? Connect with the guy that has the numbers matching Motor,I think in the long run you will be happy you did it,Great looking six,I just got one too,There pretty fast and the sound of the six is Great,Enjoy..........
carreraguy
Congrats Ken! A real beauty! smilie_pokal.gif
You ought to bring it to one of the SF Bay 914 breakfasts so we can all see it up close and personal!
neo914-6
Great find Ken, and in my own back yard! biggrin.gif
So.Cal.914
Well what can I say but Tits! Congrats on your find.
Howard
Just Wow! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
tod914
Nice car !!! Congrads on the 6 Im sure your grinning ear to ear.
jimkelly
This thread is worthless - without my name on the title : )

I guess that is a nice example of a 914 on the West Coast - but - on the East Coast - we would invite it to a sawzal party and part it out.

Kidding of course - mucho congrats drooley.gif

KenH
Congratulations

BUT what are the odds of two people named KEN buying a 914-6 from people who live in San Jose during the same week, and living with-in 12 miles of each other??

Ken
kenschipper
QUOTE(914 @ Jul 21 2006, 10:41 PM) *

Was that the one on craigslist? Connect with the guy that has the numbers matching Motor,I think in the long run you will be happy you did it,Great looking six,I just got one too,There pretty fast and the sound of the six is Great,Enjoy..........

Yes, it was on the SF area Craigs List. There is a possibility of tracking down the riginal case. Will be talking to the PO as he indicated that he still had the info on the guy he sold it to.

Ken
kenschipper
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Jul 21 2006, 10:48 PM) *

Congrats Ken! A real beauty! smilie_pokal.gif
You ought to bring it to one of the SF Bay 914 breakfasts so we can all see it up close and personal!

Last Saturday of the month, right?

Will be out of town this month but should be able to make it next month.

Ken
Allan
Beautiful car.....

Nice score.
JPB
I have a perpetual schwing on that ride. Very beautiful and nice score!

smilie_pokal.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
WOW!

I'm beyond envious!
Quilmes
Congratulations: clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif
Very nice car, excellent color, the inside looks brand new. You got a great car for the price. Have fun enjoy and go drive with a smile, because you have been bitten by the 914-6 bug.

Quilmes
kenschipper
QUOTE(KenH @ Jul 22 2006, 07:50 AM) *

Congratulations

BUT what are the odds of two people named KEN buying a 914-6 from people who live in San Jose during the same week, and living with-in 12 miles of each other??

Ken

Send me a link to photos of yours. I'm planning on going to the August breakfast in the Bay Area. May connect there.

Ken Schipper
Michael N
Nice car and Great price for an original 6. clap56.gif
KenH
QUOTE(kenschipper @ Jul 23 2006, 08:57 PM) *

QUOTE(KenH @ Jul 22 2006, 07:50 AM) *

Congratulations

Ken

Send me a link to photos of yours. I'm planning on going to the August breakfast in the Bay Area. May connect there.

Ken Schipper

Hi Ken,

Look here http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...359&hl=kenh

Ken
kenschipper
Rob,

Just found your email this morning regarding Thursday night. I can make it but Kathy is working on rearrainging a previous commitment. Should be able to confirm things by the end of the day.

The best place we have found on the warf is Cafe Fina. Can look into making reservations there.

I will be at the Pacific Grove Rally on Friday from 1 - 5 PM with the new car. Stop by if it fits into your plans.

Ken
Root_Werks
wub.gif My God! That car is amazing! Nice buy!
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jul 21 2006, 10:05 PM) *

I always parked the 4 after a run with a grin on my face. Now the grin lasts a whole lot longer.

Ken: Thats how I got :PERMAGRIN:.
Joe

Ken,

How's the car these days? It's so beautiful I was able to dig up this thread from memory! clap56.gif

I'm bumping this in hopes of learning what tires are on your car and how you like them...

Thanks!

pete
tracks914
QUOTE(KenH @ Jul 22 2006, 06:50 AM) *

Congratulations

Ken

The odds of that up here are better of winning the $42 million 649 draw.
The odds in California of that happening seem pretty good cause all the good 914's are in SoCal.
dekman
Ken, how was the Pacific Grove Rally? Considering doing it next year with Linda and my 914....or was it "dorky"? Enjoyed dinner and your "car" is beautiful! clap56.gif Sorry we missed you at the rally..... wavey.gif
kenschipper
QUOTE(dekman @ Aug 21 2006, 10:43 PM) *

Ken, how was the Pacific Grove Rally? Considering doing it next year with Linda and my 914....or was it "dorky"? Enjoyed dinner and your "car" is beautiful! clap56.gif Sorry we missed you at the rally..... wavey.gif

It was a fun afternoon. Lots of cars to see (only a few Porsche's) tour was fun (about 2,000 people on the streets of Carmel to watch), nice dinner afterwards.

I wouldn't characterize it a dorky, but it was very low key. Check in, park and just wander around. Judging was just "hey there are going to be some cars here on Friday, can you be a judge". Award for best Italian but not best German!

I'm debating about next year. There is a Porsche corral at the Concorso Italiano that I heard some 914's were at. The registration for the Concorso is $200 for non-Italian cars vs. $60 for the Pacific Grove Rally. I would like to see some of the cars at the Concorso though. Let's talk early next summer.

Great to see the both of you. Plus a lucky linkup on Friday.

Ken
carreraguy
QUOTE(kenschipper @ Sep 2 2006, 05:15 PM) *

I'm debating about next year. There is a Porsche corral at the Concorso Italiano that I heard some 914's were at. The registration for the Concorso is $200 for non-Italian cars vs. $60 for the Pacific Grove Rally.

He Ken:
I was one of 914s at the Concorso. It's $100 for the car and 2 people (plus FREE COFFEE! Whooppee!) if you reserve & pay early.
Tom
kenschipper
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Sep 2 2006, 06:57 PM) *

QUOTE(kenschipper @ Sep 2 2006, 05:15 PM) *

I'm debating about next year. There is a Porsche corral at the Concorso Italiano that I heard some 914's were at. The registration for the Concorso is $200 for non-Italian cars vs. $60 for the Pacific Grove Rally.

He Ken:
I was one of 914s at the Concorso. It's $100 for the car and 2 people (plus FREE COFFEE! Whooppee!) if you reserve & pay early.
Tom

I think I'll do that on next year then

Ken
smj
I recall the listing for that car, congratulations -- a truly excellent example. One big reason I didn't go for that, or any of the other solid original -6's I saw out there. I'd feel compelled to keep it in pristine condition. Or, to put it differently, I'd feel way too guilty at the thought of modifying it, putting it at risk, etc. And in that sense it was a lot of money for something I wouldn't feel comfortable enjoying the way I want to.

That had me looking at conversions, and eventually hooked me on the already "violated" original -6 that I wound up buying.
brp914
Ken,

Stunning car. I totally understand your comment about sitting and admiring it. It looks like the focal point of the neighborhood sitting there. Careful with that thing - alotta zombie/morons out there w/ no insurance aiming for it. Someone backed into my beautiful -6 while it was parked at a gas station and tried to blame it on me! cellphone/AAAPlus/disposable camera/classic car insurance post haste. AAA now writes there own classic car policies.
kenschipper
Current look with polished rims and wider tires.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
roadster fan
Hey Ken,

Looks nice! BTW sorry I missed the Canepa tour this fall, I got the info but was out of town. Maybe this year.

You going to WCR 2008 in Seattle?

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.