Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny Input Shaft Seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
maf914
I hope someone has done this and can help, because I am stuck. I decided to replace the tranny input shaft oil seal since I am installing a new clutch and I cannot get the old one out.

The seal appears to consist of a formed metal collar with a molded rubber cover that slips over the input shaft and seats into a cast recess in the tranny case. The Haynes manual indicates that this can be removed by carefully prying with a smalll screwdriver. All I have been able to do is tear the rubber off the inner metal form, but the bushing remains solidly wedged in the case. I've tried prying with screwdrivers and pulling with various picks, but this thing won't budge. Now of course the rubber is damaged, so this baby has to come out for a new one. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mike
SirAndy
i recall brad using something with a hook, got behind the seal and it poped right out. took him 5 secs ...

but he's on his way to indy now, so he can't chime in.
Andy
Steve Thacker
Go to your local auto parts store and get a cheap transmission seal removal tool. They have the hooks on them to remove any type of seal in a snap.
Charles Deutsch
I didn't have the tools to remove it so I brought my tranny to a P-car mechanic and he removed it for me for a few bucks.
MarkV
I had the same problem. Ended up drilling four 1/8" holes around the seal; using sheet metal screws in the holes with a pry bar and a block of wood I got it out. If you drill holes don't drill too close to the outside edge of the seal, there is a flange on the seal and you will drill into the transmission case.

A better alternative is to buy a seal puller tool like the one below.
maf914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 15 2003, 09:15 AM)
i recall brad using something with a hook, got behind the seal and it poped right out. took him 5 secs ...

but he's on his way to indy now, so he can't chime in.
Andy

5 seconds? I've been screwing with this thing for hours! headbang.gif The joys of home wrenching!

Thanks, guys. I'll check out seal pullers and get one that will fit between the input shaft and the bushing metal collar. Then, if that doesn't work, I'll consider a trip to a machine shop or Mark's drilling method.

Mike
si2t3m
IIR, I pulled mine out by screwing 2 drywall screw in the seal.

Marc-André
fiid
I bent a hook shape into the end of a screwdriver. Took bloody ages. Pain in the butt. If theres a proper tool for it, I would get it!! It will likely take you ages otherwise. Wish this board had been around when I did mine!

Fiid.
Bleyseng
I use a small flat screwdriver and pop them out in a few seconds. Its all in the angle and how you pry.

Geoff
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 15 2003, 01:44 PM)
Its all in the angle and how you pry.

Amen ...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 15 2003, 12:44 PM)
I use a small flat screwdriver and pop them out in a few seconds. Its all in the angle and how you pry.

and some horrible sometimes - on how much Hylomar or Permatex the guy before you used ...
Red-Beard
If you're doing it with the shaft in place, yes, it's a Bitch.

If you have the metal seal in there, I'd try the screw method. You can also try using a hammer to drive the screwdriver sideways into the seal, deforming it, but breaking it loose. Only do this if it is the metal & Rubber seal, otherwise you'll damage the surface the new seal, seals.

The worst seal is the metal shift seal. It usually requires a blood sacrifice to get it out.

James
stock93
If you going to be doing much of this its worth going over to sears and getting a seal puller for ~$10. It takes me no time at all to pull seals now smile.gif I have no problem getting them right out even with the shaft in there.

John
dryheat914
I own two different sizes of the the puller shown above, This is what I would use, a little hard with shaft in place but you can finagle the tool in since youve allready distorted the seal, Make sure you check the shaft after it's out and check for any burrs,etc. or all your work will be wasted.
Good Luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.