Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternative to Brass Punch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Michael J
Many instructions talk about using a brass punch. I have not been able to find one at any of the parts stores. I looked at the hardware store and found brass bolts that look like they will work if not too hard. The bolts are grade 8 brass. Is this softer than the steel shafts and gears?
davep
I believe that should work okay.
Or you could visit a machine shop and see if they can help. I'm always making my own tools.
r_towle
I may be wrong here...
But I dont think you could possibly get Grade 8 brass anything.
The bolts are steel coated with brass, Grade 8 is suspension grade bolts..they are steel, and hardened.

Look for a good hobby shor or craft store, or steel shop..they should have brass rod..cut to suit your needs.

Rich
GWN7
http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/...h&Submit=Go

Brass is susgested to use as it is softer than the metal it's to be struck against. That way you lessen the chance of damaging the object.
Michael J
I understand the point of using brass I just was surprised that the auto parts guys didn't have anything-----well maybe I shouldn't have been all that surprised.
The link to harbor freight is good and I got to thinking about going to the local machine shop and have them cut me a piece.
Thanks guys.
So.Cal.914
Or go to your local auto repair or motorcycle shop, Snap-on, Mac or another

will stop at least once a month. But you can get a number for them and find out

where they will be. They should have just what you want.
McMark
I know NAPA stores can get them.
mightyohm
Sears has a brass punch set, I use it quite a bit. I don't think it was that expensive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.