Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914club Heritage of the South
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
grasshopper
LINK TO REGISTRATION]

914world.com
SOUTH EAST CLASSIC

The 914world.com South East Classic “Heritage of the South” will be held on September 8th and 9th of 2006. The event will take place in the beautiful town of Helen, Georgia. This year we are planning to have around thirty cars, and around 45-50 people attending. This will be the southern 914 event to attend. We are expecting to have a lot of fun, with the combination of a rally through the mountains of GA, NC, and TN while driving through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, driving the Tail of the Dragon (www.tailofthedragon.com) , and touring Jake Raby’s Aircooled Technology. We have many sponsors for our event, including: Camp 914, Appearance and Performance, Series 9, team NARP racing, EvilWerks,Engman, No Bad Days Graphics, Callicott Motorsports, and Hennessy Porsche. The Registration fee will be $45.00, which will pay for one main entrant, and one co-entrant. The registration fee will include two event T-shirts, two boxed lunches for Saturdays rally, one goodie bag, and one official license plate. Any money left will be donated to the local Ronald McDonald house. The plan for Friday the 8th is to meet at Andretti Karting Facility (www.andrettikarting.com) , and to have a swap meet in the parking lot, starting at 2:30 PM. Departure for Helen will be at 5:30PM. The host hotel will be the Comfort Inn, just outside of Helen. The group rate is $79.99 per night not including tax. Their phone number is (706) 878-8000. Make sure you tell them that you are with the 914club. We plan for this to be an annual event, and there is already much talk of SEC 07. A schedule of events will be posted as soon as the Rally route is finished. The SEC planning crew would like to formally invite everyone to come and share the fun with us. CUT OFF DATE FOR REGISTRAION IS THE 19th OF AUGUST. Thank you,
The SEC Planning Crew
72914S
This would be great. I wouldn`t mind something this fall within 400-500 miles of home.Might even be able talk the wife into a week-end drive. Add a swap meet to the agenda.
grasshopper
Thank you for fixing my Poll Jeroen!
URY914
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jul 22 2006, 08:27 AM) *

Paul (URY), will you join me in organizing this event? PM me about this if you get the chance. Thanks , Barry locust.gif

Sure. Let's see what we get for reponses and maybe do a low key event this fall and build from there. The WCC wasn't built in a day. biggrin.gif

grasshopper
yeah, I was thinking small this year, and build each year. The name could carry over each year. Any Ideas?
URY914
Weekend at Barry's biggrin.gif

JoeSharp
This year you and Paul can get the breakfast culb and next year JoeO' will be there and in a coupla more I'll join in.
See its already getting bigger.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
grasshopper
lol, I am not that close. I am like right on the FL line. It is about two hours for me, but I will be staying in Atlanta for the next two weeks (my grandfather is dieing sad.gif ) so I may be able to scout out a hotel that we could get a discount at..and some fun roads. NAMES NAMES NAMES! help out. Even if you are not attending please try to help with a catchy name.
URY914
Let's drive that Devils Playground (isn't that the name of it) the one where all the rice bikes play. Isn't not far from Jake's.

BTW I would not assume we can go by Jakes. But we could ask.
JoeSharp
I like the Weekend at Barry's thing but I was going to sugest it to be The B and P Classic after the 2 original orginizers. Gosh, all 2 on this post.
72914S
How about The "G.O.B.S. (GOOD OL BOY`S)914 RALLY" or '914 Rebel Rally" Isn`t that road the Dragon`s something? It would be nice to meet Jake too.
grasshopper
914 Rebel Rally sounds pretty good, but some people are a little touchy about the term rebel... and the rebel flag...and everything that says rebel...some people think it stands for racism...Just uneducated idiots who think they know everything...
72914S
Other thought was THE REDNECK 914 BEER BASH AND ROAD RALLY.Or just The redneck 914 club rally. Here is one for you Barry "The 914 Sawsall Party".
grasshopper
QUOTE(72914S @ Jul 22 2006, 11:12 AM) *

Other thought was THE REDNECK 914 BEER BASH AND ROAD RALLY.

chairfall.gif I wish I was old enough for beer beer3.gif
72914S
Sorry didn`t mean to tease beer3.gif ! "THE 914 N.A.R.P. SOUTHERN RALLY"
grasshopper
How about : 914club Rally in the Hills or NARP rally of the south
grasshopper
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 22 2006, 10:25 AM) *

Let's drive that Devils Playground (isn't that the name of it) the one where all the rice bikes play. Isn't not far from Jake's.

BTW I would not assume we can go by Jakes. But we could ask.

Yeah, he said he doesn't like that many visitors, and I think he kind of got ran off. I have heard of the Devil's Platground but I never thought of it. Sounds like a great road. Anybody have any more details about it. I think that would be a great place to rally. We could make a great big loop, and end at somewhere cool...like a Brewery like at WCC, or an auto museum.........or Auto Atlanta w00t.gif
grasshopper
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jul 22 2006, 10:35 AM) *

I like the Weekend at Barry's thing but I was going to sugest it to be The B and P Classic after the 2 original orginizers. Gosh, all 2 on this post.

The B and P classic is pretty catchy... When someone else organizes it, we could just change the meaning to the "The Beer and Party classis" drunk.gif
Brett W
I am up for it, but I will have to come up with a street car.
72914S
"NARP Rally of the South" this has a nice ring. Here is the road I thought you were talking about,but it`s not. It`s too far away.
grasshopper
I think that is the road that was referred to. It was in another thread somewhere, and they said that there were some roads just as good around Jakes house, but I dont think that was ever said that there was one in GA. We will have to make a fun route ourselves then.
URY914
Go to AAA and ask for a road trip on a winding road. They'll hook you up. laugh.gif

Who is going to pick Miles up?
Howard
How about KY? My son was just there and bought Brenda one of these great shirts. biggrin.gif
John G
AA would surely want to be a sponsor. They have an amazing collection of 914's on display there, and a few weeks ago a sales guy there gave me a tour of their monster concept car they are building. Was cool.

As for names, how about BUBBA TEEN 06 (better than Ovaltine). biggrin.gif

The REDNECK RALLY sounds good as well.

Annual SE 914 Adventure? beerchug.gif

Love the idea of a swap meet, dinners, a drive or race, door prizes... I'm just looking forward to meeting other teener owners.

I was thinking if there was anyone around who knew how to rebuild a tranny, for example, would be cool to hold a technical workshop of some kind. I would love to watch someone do this.

John
grasshopper
Those are some good Ideas John. I like it. Swap meet and Tech session.. idea.gif
grasshopper
This just came to me...How does it sound?? "914club Heritage of the South" HTS06
John G
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jul 22 2006, 08:56 PM) *

This just came to me...How does it sound?? "914club Heritage of the South" HTS06

Very nice!

I had another name idea to throw in: SE 914 Nexus. biggrin.gif

We will try to bring both of our 914's. Hopefully, they will both be in good running trim.

Thanks for planning!

John
Jake Raby
In the Mountains just up by my place would definately be THE place to do the run.. Its very centralized to most members and has good access from several interstates as well as awesome roads and hardly any cops that give a damn.

The Alpine Village of Helen Ga. is only 5 miles up the road from me and there you could have some authentic German food (one of my customers and a 914 owner owns Alt Heidelberg there and I'm sure he could feed us all) and then leave up GA Hwy 75 and cross over Neals gap to Hiawassee Ga then hit US 76 and cross through Blue Ridge and into Blairsville and then down US 129 over "Blood Mountain". Thats well over 120 miles of mountain driving.

The problem with Deals gap is all the damn bikers that have been killing themselves and increasing the amount of Cops on the road.

If someone wants to be the Chief organizer I would be glad to work with them on the routes, plusses and minuses of different areas as I have lived in the mountains all my life and know every good back road in existance here.

As for a technical workshop of some sort- I'd be glad to contribute to that. As far as coming to my shop, well that one is a touchy subject. I might be willing to have some portions of the shop open for a workshop and small tour if my schecule allows.

Joe Owensby
I would most likely be attending, although maybe not in my 914, as it isn't done yet. I like Jake's suggestion of a place like Helen Ga. While Atlanta has lots of hotels and is near an airport, it has lots and lots and lots of traffic. Helen is basically a small tourist town, located in the foothills of the mountains. Lots of mountain roads nearby, pretty scenery. Glad to hear someone is organizing this. Joe O.
Jake Raby
Petite Le Mans time frame is BAD for me... We are RVing at the track all 4 days of it and since its the only race I get to fully attend every year I won't be willing to go back into the shop!

My shop is about 80 miles NE of Atlanta in Cleveland Georgia. I have held up to 400 cars on my property in the past and about 1100 people...

The only problem is that watercooled vehicles aren't allowed... They park 300 yards down the hill by the highway... Aircooled Heaven is strictly aircooled!
grasshopper
mmhh.. we might just have to have it another weekend then. I would love to tour the roads in your area and see you shop. So when is a good weekend for you in late september/early october?
Jake Raby
Keep inmind that this area is in the foothills of some of the best fall foliage and that we get invaded from city slickers every weekend afer labor day... The entire H GA area has this happen, but its worse here than anywhere due to Helen, Sautee Valley and etc. Our roads are not sset up to handle this influx of people so if it's held at the wrong time all you'll be doing is sitting in traffic worse than LA..

Early September would be the best for sure...With the population in our area growing twice as fast as the towns are around here its been worse in recent years and as I said it occurs all over, but worse here due to the sites and scenes...

I know the backwoods way around most of the bottle knecks that stop traffic, but so do all the other natives and we sometimes clog up our own shortcuts trying to get away from all of it..
Jake Raby
BTW-rule out October, the entire month is a nightmare here!
grasshopper
hhmmm... September it is. I'll send you a PM tomorrow Jake, I'm going to bed now.
Jake Raby
My PM is disabled here..
email me at productdevelopment@aircooledtechnology.com
John G
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 22 2006, 11:11 PM) *

The only problem is that watercooled vehicles aren't allowed... They park 300 yards down the hill by the highway... Aircooled Heaven is strictly aircooled!

Heh.... guess that counts me out. Both of my 914's are water breathers. sad.gif

John
craig downs
Hey Jake nice to see you again
Jake Raby

[/quote]

John
[/quote]
Sure...you can join in, you'll just need to bring some hiking shoes and be able to walk 300 yards to the shop..

The shop would just be one stop and I'm sure the others won't care if you are water cooled...
John G
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 23 2006, 12:18 AM) *

John

Sure...you can join in, you'll just need to bring some hiking shoes and be able to walk 300 yards to the shop..

The shop would just be one stop and I'm sure the others won't care if you are water cooled...

Jake, I know I can join in, and I appreciate the invite. I'm just not going to. Call me oversensitive, but I don't like being forced into the back of the bus, if you know what I mean.

It's your property, so you can do what you want, but I will leave you with this quote: "Respect the man's car, and you respect the man."

I respect you because of who you are and what you have done for this community. I would have enjoyed meeting you.

See you 'round,

John
grasshopper
Hey John, I sent you a PM, and I hope you understand what I mean by it. Jake is not targeting you, or saying he doesn't respect you(I dont see how you pulled that out of what he said anyway).
URY914
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jul 22 2006, 07:28 PM) *

Me and Paul are organizing this event. ...

Really? I live about 10 hours from N. Ga. I don't know how much help I can be. And I don't see many FL folks driving up there for it.

Paul
Jake Raby
I certainly wasn't targeting anyone.... Or trying to disrespect them or their vehicle..

I'm just hardcore aircooled and at my shop what we preach is practiced by all of us, including every employee...

Not many watercoolers even want to come to the shop because there is nothing there for them, so it's never an issue :-)
URY914
I don't see this happening over the P LeMans weekend or any before November. That being said, why can't some of you get together for a less formal thing. Hell, what's wrong with meeting at Auto Atlanta (let the flames begin) see the place and hang out for a few hours. Or of course, Jakes but it sounds like he is busy for a while. Do something simple and build from there.

Barry, I respect your wanting to do something along the lines of the WCC, but it tough to pull off on a short notice and without living in the area to handle arragements. It really takes months to get a date on everyones calender so they can plan for it. I almost hate to say this as you may take it the wrong way but some of us don't have the luxury of being 15 and being able to schedule our time as we'd like.

Paul
Jake Raby
With the summer partially gone for most people I think what ever is planned will have to be done very quickly and kept small..

This isn't the west coast and teeners are spread much less desnely here than they are out west. There is a chunk of them in and around Atlanta though..

The fun run with a stop at my place sounds like the easiest to plan get together. I am pretty much available any weekend except Petite Lemans and the weekend of the Eurofest. My shop stays ready for inspection, so I don't need any time to prepare....

Let me know what you want to do.. The watercoolers can park a little closer to the shop in my pasture out front.. :-)
URY914
Jake, not to hijack the thread but what was the car number of the car with your engine it a at the LeMans Classic? I found a load of pictures and wanted to know which it was.

Thanks
grasshopper
ok, I have no problem doing a low key event this year. Just a one day thing... Do the run, stop for lunch and a photo shoot, and end at Jakes shop. Hey Jake, would you be interested in doing a small tech session?
grasshopper
icon_bump.gif
grasshopper
icon_bump.gif
D1A3
I'm in!!!!!

We all got together a few weeks ago. POST HERE: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...c=52896&hl=

We had a bunch o guys show up. My car is the silver one. I'd be happy to help with any organization for a N. GA run through the hills. Just PM me.

I did a run last year up to Helen and loved it. Lots of backroads and "off the beaten path" things to see like waterfalls and such.

Another great drive would be up to Lookout Mountain and Chattanooga TN.

Hope to hear more interest and something for us to do soon!

--Jason
grasshopper
icon_bump.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.