Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm too poor to be in this club!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chogokin
DAMN! I was just looking through the pics post and you guys have some beautiful cars! I can't wait to get mine like some of those, maybe when I'm old and grey mine will be ready to paint... laugh.gif
john grier
Pic's can be decieveing.
If that is your 914 it looks just fine.
We all have to start somewhere.
markb
If you look at the pics of most of us, many of us ARE old & grey. biggrin.gif
john grier
agree.gif I am over 50 myself.
Chogokin
Hmmm that gives me about 15 years... idea.gif I just may be able to pull it off by that time laugh.gif every one of those I see just makes me want to hurry up and get mine in top shape, but like everything it takes time and money, think I need to win the lottery biggrin.gif
john grier
I don't think this club is about who has the best 914, but for how to keep them on the road for the least amount of money. Inmormation is what you get here.
Joe Bob
Jack stands are cheap....
wbergtho
It's not about who has the nicest (as said before). If you own a 914 that runs and you have fun driving it...you are just like anybody on this site. Sure, some have some pretty sweet rides...but a running 914 is still a hell of alot of fun to drive!!! Keep it living.
So.Cal.914
Mine runs good but the paint is original icon8.gif But my jackstands are awsome.
iamchappy
Re-phrase the topic as "this club is making me poorer" as it is all of us.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jul 22 2006, 06:47 PM) *

Refraise the topic as "this club is making me poorer" as it is all of us.

av-943.gif
JoeSharp
Dude: The Club started out that way. When we first had a run most of the car drivers looked for a place to park that was down hill.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
tdgray
Yepper... it can all be very deceiving at first glance.

My paint job is a good 15 footer. 'Course I did it myself and that explains it pretty much.

Patience is the key. Oh and lots of beer3.gif
Chogokin
ya know.. come to think of it I wasn't poor until I got my teener idea.gif of course it WAS a wedding present!! blink.gif
JPB
Cool present! Your car looks good and I would say, probably better than the mean average here. If you don't have any rust or bubbles on the paint, I'd compound the whole car and finish it with a high end wax like Liquid Gold. If it has the original paint and you can shine it up, that is awsome. If it has scartches, you might be able to buff them out easily.

beer.gif Lubricating and polishing are the cheapest forms of maintenance.
Chogokin
Dude! thats all rattle can primer!! I had to strip it down to steel after I got it! No rust though, none at all! I need to hurry up and close on my house so that I have a garage to spray a real primer job on it!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JPB
Ooops sorry, avatar generalisation. Wow nice stripping job. The car looks crazy tight also. You have something real to start from and if all else fails, paint the bugger yourself. Paint shops are mostly a scam and money racket. Most paint supply stores are willing to help you with all the info you need and if they don't, go to another without forgetting to let them know about it.

beer.gif
Chogokin
yeah.. I'm thinking of doing just that, still have some work to do on the body, mostly flushing the doors and little stuff. One thing at a time, almost have the interior where I want it, and the engine is fairly tight, just an annoying flat spot. And the hundred other things that go along with a teener.
JPB
Cool and we are all behind you.

beer.gif The club is to poor not to have you! LOL
sww914
Mine looks OK at about 50 feet, if I'm going 100 down the straight. What the hell, it's fast, and I got it for $800.00, running, with a roll cage and a fuel cell installed. I've put about $8000.00 more into it over the last 7 years.
The high dollar 911 guys hate getting beat by a hammered 4cyl 914. A lot.
JPB
The high dollar 911 guys hate getting beat by a hammered 4cyl 914. A lot.
[/quote]
Nice hammered looking beast! Avatar? If you didn't have to push them out of the way, it woulden't be as such. LOL

911? :rotfl:Sorry 911's make good donor cars!!!!
sww914
There's some bigger pictures in the track cars thread in the paddock. It's easy to see the hammered parts there.
tat2dphreak
pics are decieving, I'd say about 1% of us are actually "rich"... the rest of us are just car guys who spend what we can, when we can how we can afford to... we do the labor ourself and get friends to help... that's part of what makes these cars so great, anyone can have one and enjoy it...

case in point: in this pic my car looks good... (this is when I picked the car up...

Click to view attachment

same day:

Click to view attachment

that was 3 years ago, the car is still not 100% complete... partially because I can't get my mechanic/welder/builder(me) to stop doing other stuff...
Air_Cooled_Nut
Have you seen my teener?
http://www.icbm.org/erkson/personal/914-73index.htm

It's not much better looking since I took those pictures. In the WCC picture thread you can see pictures of her. Cheap-ass Macco Yellow paint with grey primer. Last winter I was driving around in the city on sunny days with the front hood removed -- that generated some looks!. But she made the +200mile mountain cruise just fine clap56.gif

Drive 'em if ya got 'em!
JPB
Click to view attachment

Red car and with those Westerns, hey thats my car!LOL

beer.gif Looks good bro and yes never done.

I got a scheduled paintjob August 28TH,,YES!! Waited far to long.
Chogokin
I guess I just love this little thing so much that I have a need to hurry up and get it back to beautiful! I think she deserves it, she has lasted since Nov '69 and is holding up well. I didn't know what I had with my first one, this one is gonna go all the way! I guess she has come a long way in the year I have had her, considering her 4 month storage...

Click to view attachment
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Chogokin @ Jul 23 2006, 11:25 AM) *

I guess I just love this little thing so much that I have a need to hurry up and get it back to beautiful! I think she deserves it, she has lasted since Nov '69 and is holding up well. I didn't know what I had with my first one, this one is gonna go all the way! I guess she has come a long way in the year I have had her, considering her 4 month storage...

Click to view attachment

Top right picture:
It looks like Doctor Octavious shrunk himself and is attacking your engine compartment biggrin.gif
Chogokin
Damn! your right! Maybe THATS why it runs like stromberg.gif av-943.gif
orange914
ya know full coverage on an older 914 really isnt much more. let me tell you i'm glad we put it on my sons car when a drunk ran a stop and tagged it. it was 0 percent my wifes fault. with insurance coverage check, a cheap parts car and our labor on disasembly/assembly we ended up with a real clean 914. everyones happy and onother 914 lives!
good luck, youll love the car
Chogokin
Heh heh, funny you should mention that, I lowered the deductable on my comp to 0 a couple months ago, and on wednesday I'm getting my new windshield installed free of charge biggrin.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jul 23 2006, 09:30 AM) *

pics are decieving, I'd say about 1% of us are actually "rich"... the rest of us are just car guys who spend what we can, when we can how we can afford to... we do the labor ourself and get friends to help... that's part of what makes these cars so great, anyone can have one and enjoy it...

agree.gif

Couldn't agree more. My car also looks nice (up to a certain level of criticism, after which it falls apart!) but is simply the product of a mis-spent youth driving.gif a lot of swap meets, and a lot of late nights working in high school and college. I've done very little to it in the years since then. So it can be done on the cheap with creativity, help from friends, and time, time, and more time.

Just keep whittling away at your car and push past those moments where there are WAY too many parts on the garage floor and it seems like the thing will NEVER hit the road again... you'll get it there -- and then some.

And that might be the best part of owning/building/modifying/driving a 914 -- it flies in the face of current culture by FORCING most of us into a delayed gratification kind of automotive experience. Especially if it's that last point (driving) and you're rolling deep with a tired four-cylinder (like me)... biggrin.gif

pete
plymouth37
Yep, I pulled mine out of a cow pasture where it had been sitting since 1982. Drove it "pasture fresh" for years, you gotta start somewhere! Even the worst 914 on the road is better than a car that was given up on and left for dead. enjoy your car as is and remember that over the years it will suck every penny out of your pocket and probably bankrupt you, but thats ok, its gonna be fuchin' sweet someday!
mudfoot76
QUOTE(Chogokin @ Jul 23 2006, 10:13 AM) *

ya know.. come to think of it I wasn't poor until I got my teener idea.gif of course it WAS a wedding present!! blink.gif

Ah, I think we've found the source of your problem biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.