Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74 2.0 Fuel injection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bumblebee74
The original owner of my bumblebee had removed the fuel injection on the engine and replaced it with a single carb. Should I change back to the fuel injection? and if so, where could I find a kit to install? I am new at this and grasping for information.

Thank you.
brant
QUOTE(bumblebee74 @ Jul 22 2006, 09:14 PM) *

The original owner of my bumblebee had removed the fuel injection on the engine and replaced it with a single carb. Should I change back to the fuel injection? and if so, where could I find a kit to install? I am new at this and grasping for information.

Thank you.

There isn't really a "kit" out there.
you may find someone selling an entire unit.

or else you will need to research the different components and piece together all of the bits and pieces.

its not impossible.
and not really that hard to understand either.

but plan on doing some research and then looking for part after part.

brant
So.Cal.914
Was other work done (like a new cam) to the engine? Two carbs are better than one.
Bleyseng
If people put on a single carb it means they are too lazy to do anything right IIHO. Bet everything is still stock so a reinstall of the FI would be pretty easy once you locate the parts. I did it now 10 years ago.
bumblebee74
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jul 22 2006, 10:29 PM) *

Was other work done (like a new cam) to the engine? Two carbs are better than one.

From what I can see, no other work was done to the engine. She did, however, remove the original air conditioning. Is that something that is hard to come by?
bumblebee74
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 22 2006, 11:39 PM) *

If people put on a single carb it means they are too lazy to do anything right IIHO. Bet everything is still stock so a reinstall of the FI would be pretty easy once you locate the parts. I did it now 10 years ago.

Do you happen to know anyone/anywhere with a complete unit that would work? I assume it was the Druk-Jetronick that was on the Bumblebee.
bumblebee74
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 22 2006, 10:17 PM) *

QUOTE(bumblebee74 @ Jul 22 2006, 09:14 PM) *

Thank you.

There isn't really a "kit" out there.
you may find someone selling an entire unit.

or else you will need to research the different components and piece together all of the bits and pieces.

its not impossible.
and not really that hard to understand either.

but plan on doing some research and then looking for part after part.

brant

I asked Geoff this as well. Do you happen to know anyone/anywhere with a complete unit that would work? I assume it was the Druk-Jetronick that was on the Bumblebee.
Bleyseng
Post an ad in the Classifieds as I have one but its for another motor.
Rand
The stock fuel injection system is definitely superior to a single carb setup.

If you want to put the time and money into converting back to FI, I think you have two logical options: Find a bargain on a complete original system (which is possible around here), or go with a modern system.

I like the original systems, but they are old. Which means you could get bit with a bad part that is very difficult to find or expensive to repair/replace (such as an MPS).

Modern systems are available. If you like a do-it-yourself project, then I think Megasquirt is the way to go. If you're not so much into DIY, then maybe spend some more and look at SDS.

If I was starting from scratch, I would definitely go with a modern system. If you are ever thinking about building a hotter motor than stock, then for sure go with a modern system.

By the way, air conditioning was not a factory option. It was installed by some dealers or private parties.
TJB/914
Bumblebee74

Good advise from everyone. My suggestion to you is your personal choice, do I want to keep my 914 F.I. stock or modify with another F.I. system. It will cost you 0??? to $1,000 dollars to find a complete working D-Jet F.I. sytems. The heart of the system is the MPS which could be the major purchase for a good one.

Here's a picture showing a complete system from my spare parts stash. Use this as a guide to find individual pieces. Happy hunting.

Tom
bumblebee74
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jul 23 2006, 06:59 AM) *

Bumblebee74

Good advise from everyone. My suggestion to you is your personal choice, do I want to keep my 914 F.I. stock or modify with another F.I. system. It will cost you 0??? to $1,000 dollars to find a complete working D-Jet F.I. sytems. The heart of the system is the MPS which could be the major purchase for a good one.

Here's a picture showing a complete system from my spare parts stash. Use this as a guide to find individual pieces. Happy hunting.

Tom

Thanks Tom.
Bleyseng
Pic of a complete Djet 2.0l motor so you know how it should look.
brant
bumblebee,

I don't know of any sets personally.
but parts cars come along pretty often.
likely if you buy cheap something may be bad or worn and you will still end up looking for at least 1 individual part or more.

either way, If you fiddle with what you have your going to have to learn induction inside and out. Its not that bad..... kinda interesting.

also, since your going by "bumble bee" I wonder if your car isn't a black and yellow LE model. If it is, those cars are really escalating in value. Certainly if you were going to sell a decent condition LE it should bring a bit more in resale with a functioning F.I. on it, than it would with a single carb.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you spend $ on finding the parts you would probably recover 100% of that money in resale.

brant
TJB/914
Bumblebee,

Brant just said what I should also have said (Wise advise from an expert).

Here's a picture of the MPS the heart of the D-Jet F.I. System. Bleyseng (Geoff) is the MPS expert and the daddy of replacement MPS's. Give him a call for a replacement & get on his list. If you find one he is the MPS person to send to for repairs/evaluation. I believe the MPS should end in #43 to be correct for your 1974. Start with this MPS piece & everything else is easy.
Geoff: Hope you don't mind the sales presentation.

Tom
BTW: Forgot to plug Jeff Bowlsby for the replacement wiring harness. Did I forget anyone??? Didn't I see an advertisement in the parts section from Mark selling off F.I. parts???
Bleyseng
Usually people take the Djet FI off for either a bad FI wiring harness (goofy shorts so it runs bad) or a bad MPS (too rich) and they can't pony up the money for a new NOS one. AA ones atleast the ones I have seen in the last two years had soldered diaphrams (kills throttle response). Brett Ins used to rebuilt them nicely but calibrated all of them to 1.7L specs (not good for 2.0L).

Slowly look around for a complete setup
bumblebee74
Everyone here is wonderful. It is a 74 914 LE "bumblebee" Hence the name. I am wanting to go back 100% original. Currently I am on a "slow start" income but that should change. It has a wrecked front end and the changes I have mentioned above. How detrimental would it be to replace the wrecked body parts with another vehicles body?
Bleyseng
Depends on the parts...most can be repaired or replace with used parts fairly easy. The problem is to keep the tub straight or have it checked/or corrected if its twisted.
Check SirAndys threads on the straightened he had done on his red car and the 'six" tub that was wrecked/twisted.

JeffBowlsby
Brian?

If you are trying to obtain its highest value AND keep it original, the D-jet is the only answer. Everything is available.
StratPlayer
QUOTE(bumblebee74 @ Jul 22 2006, 07:14 PM) *

Thank you.

There is a 2.0 FI setup for sale on ebay now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...011517241QQrdZ1
fast914
I'm rebuilding my 2.0L engine, there is a good chance I'll switch to a 944NA EFI (DME, Harness,...). Once the decision is made (in couple of weeks), a good running 2.0L FI will be for sale (harness, ECU, etc...).

I'm upgrading to 96mm P/C and a webcam 86.. It all depends on how the FI runs..
Mueller
QUOTE(fast914 @ Jul 24 2006, 01:10 PM) *

I'm rebuilding my 2.0L engine, there is a good chance I'll switch to a 944NA EFI (DME, Harness,...). Once the decision is made (in couple of weeks), a good running 2.0L FI will be for sale (harness, ECU, etc...).

hijacked.gif

if you cannot adjust the 944NA stuff, that might be a terrible swap idea......

914rat
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jul 24 2006, 12:41 PM) *

Thank you.

The setup on ebay is not complete .No computer ,no mps.
fast914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 24 2006, 04:15 PM) *

QUOTE(fast914 @ Jul 24 2006, 01:10 PM) *

hijacked.gif

if you cannot adjust the 944NA stuff, that might be a terrible swap idea......

I'm able to tune the Motronic code, not a problem.. Will even use a wasted spark system that we developed to run with the Motronic.
brant
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

The MPS is in the picture and reportedly holds vaccum
StratPlayer
QUOTE(914rat @ Jul 24 2006, 12:33 PM) *

QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jul 24 2006, 12:41 PM) *

Thank you.

Its better than what the man has now.
Mueller
QUOTE(fast914 @ Jul 24 2006, 02:14 PM) *

I'm able to tune the Motronic code, not a problem.. Will even use a wasted spark system that we developed to run with the Motronic.

cool...can it be modifed on the fly?

fast914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 24 2006, 06:00 PM) *

QUOTE(fast914 @ Jul 24 2006, 02:14 PM) *

cool...can it be modifed on the fly?

I have the tools to convert the earlier Motronic to work in the same manner as a stand alone.

Anyone has an idea what sort of ignition timing the 2L runs? I know the book calls for 28deg at 3500RPM.. How about Part Throttle? Idle?
Mueller
QUOTE(fast914 @ Jul 24 2006, 04:09 PM) *

Anyone has an idea what sort of ignition timing the 2L runs? I know the book calls for 28deg at 3500RPM.. How about Part Throttle? Idle?

a popular curve is the grey/grey springs for Mallory dizzy applications, it's been posted here before as well as Mallorys site...the factory manual I think has it as well.....Dave Hunt has posted his curve before, for my fuel injection I copied the Mallory curve for the most part....start/idle at 10° and up from there....
bumblebee74
QUOTE(fast914 @ Jul 24 2006, 03:10 PM) *

Are you referring to the entire engine or just the FI? Also, do you have any idea of a cost range you might be looking at?

Thank you.
fast914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 24 2006, 07:28 PM) *

QUOTE(fast914 @ Jul 24 2006, 04:09 PM) *

a popular curve is the grey/grey springs for Mallory dizzy applications, it's been posted here before as well as Mallorys site...the factory manual I think has it as well.....Dave Hunt has posted his curve before, for my fuel injection I copied the Mallory curve for the most part....start/idle at 10° and up from there....

I'll do a search, thank you for the pointer. I'm a 951/930 guy, the 914 is new to me.
fast914
QUOTE(bumblebee74 @ Jul 24 2006, 08:34 PM) *

Are you referring to the entire engine or just the FI? Also, do you have any idea of a cost range you might be looking at?

Thank you.

Well, both might be for sale. Once the 2.xl is rebuild (waiting on new parts now), I'll tune it on the dyno and will log the data. Meanwhile, I have a supercharged 2.5L type 4-cyl (scat heads, B&M SC,..) that I will be tuning as well. I will end up keeping one of the engines and whatever EFI works best with it.
As far as price, I have no idea where to start. I'm new to 914, hopefully you guys can assist me in the pricing when the time comes.
bumblebee74
QUOTE(fast914 @ Jul 24 2006, 08:44 PM) *

QUOTE(bumblebee74 @ Jul 24 2006, 08:34 PM) *

Thank you.

Well, both might be for sale. Once the 2.xl is rebuild (waiting on new parts now), I'll tune it on the dyno and will log the data. Meanwhile, I have a supercharged 2.5L type 4-cyl (scat heads, B&M SC,..) that I will be tuning as well. I will end up keeping one of the engines and whatever EFI works best with it.
As far as price, I have no idea where to start. I'm new to 914, hopefully you guys can assist me in the pricing when the time comes.

I'm in the same boat as you on that. That's why I was asking. As you can see from my previous posts... I am on a slow go income and am new to the whole Porsche scene. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.