Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Rev-It-Up-Racing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyAKAVW
My dad and I went to the Rev-it-up-racing event in Irvine today. We met up with Thomas (one914racer) and had a blast in the insane heat. First up was the boring rules and regulations. The one funny thing I noticed was the sign that said "this is not a competition" and then the sign next to it that said "make sure you show up for your COMPETITION laps in time or you'll miss out." WTF.gif

After the rules and regulations you are free to roam the place. They have numerous events set up to participate in.

1) Kart track - oval track, but I enjoyed it
2) SS test drive. Nice big (relatively speaking) course for testnig out any of the following: Corvette (automatic), Impala SS, Malibu SS, Trailblazer SS, Cobalt SS, Cobalt supercharged SS (manual).
3) Grip dynamics - very short course (worthless) in a malibu SS
4) Some other control thing - slalom and a nice big turn out back, driving Vettes
5) Racing Line - short course with SS supercharged cars
6) Hot Lap with pro driver in a ZO6
7) The actual competition - short autocross style course in underwhelming Cobalt SSs

Some of the most memorable moments for me:

Hot lap with pro driver - They start from a stand-still and go to 75 as fast as possible (4 seconds?) and then slow down as fast as possible into the first turn, then fly through an autocross track (short). Very impressive acceleration from the 505 HP V8 (3100 lb car) and really nice braking. Good driving too.

Taking a vette out for the first time and in the back turn flooring it into a wide power slide taking out 6-7 cones. biggrin.gif

Riding shotgun as Thomas expertly heaved a Trailblazer SS (hugenormous SUV) through the autocross track. Listening to the transmission try to find a gear was hilarious. Cleary it was designed by a million monkeys with a million calculators.

Experiencing the pinacle of US automotive technology that is NOT the Impala SS. That thing handled like a boat with 4 wheels through rough seas.

So on with the pictures..

-Tony
TonyAKAVW
Entrance to the event. Tent City.
TonyAKAVW
Here's Thomas getting ready for the hot lap in a ZO6
TonyAKAVW
Tony (left) and Steve (right) thinking "you want frys with that?"

"DJ Thomas 914" or "T-Dawg" in front of his ride. Bling Bling, yo.
TonyAKAVW
Karting! Yay! Oval Track. Yawn.
TonyAKAVW
First Video.. Thomas driving the Impala SS

Thomas driving the Impala SS

Second Video, Thomas driving the Trailblazer SS.

Thomas driving the Trailblazer

by the way, these videos have no sound (my camera has no mic)

-Tony
mightyohm
Looks like fun!
bondo
Sweet!

Was it purely a chevy promo event, or was it just sponsored by chevy?
T H O M A S
thank you tony for the movieclips,i had a lot of fun at the event rocking nana.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.