Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring harness out of car...now what??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
What is the best method for cleaning all of the electrical contacts??

The solderless terminals could use some cleaning as well as all of the fuse contact posts.
ChrisReale
I used a radiop Shak product that is an electrical terminal cleaner. A q-tip and toothpick helped also
Katmanken
Worked at a computer company (in a past life) and asked this materials engineer (whose specialty was connectors) what to use. He recommended contact cleaner. In extreme cases (green connectors) he said a little rubbing with an eraser might work. (Followed by more contact cleaner)

He also recommended dipping the connectors in baby oil after treatment to keep oxygen from them.

In a pinch, I have been known to use brake cleaner instead of contact cleaner and toothpaste for a mild abrasive.

The absolute best fix was swapping out that ugly wiring harness for the pristine one from the parts car. I sure don't want to do that again. headbang.gif

So....... if corn oil is made from corn and peanut oil is made from peanuts, what is baby oil made from????? laugh.gif

Ken
redshift
smile.gif

Diapers?

If you look around electronics stores, you may find a small tub of dielectric grease, apply it to both sides of closing connectors after you clean them with Blue Shower, or sameish, and use a small brass brush (fuzzy one works best) on hard to clean ones. (brass is softer than steel... yaya)

A bore brush works great, they make tiny ones, good for the deep connectors. (not a steel brush)

The grease will save you from going back in there ever again, use sparingly..

Dab'l dooya, Mate!

M
Mueller
Thanks,

at the same time, I'm going to re-do the harness to eliminate the "seat belt warning system relay with integrated buzzer" (J34) as well as do a few things with the main relay board for my Megasquirt installation.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 15 2003, 05:04 PM)
at the same time, I'm going to re-do the harness to eliminate the "seat belt warning system relay with integrated buzzer" (J34)

ops, i "forgot" to hook that one up when i installed my new harness. wink.gif

Andy
LS6/914
Mike, I have found that to properly disperse the green growth on the terminals (we call it "fretting" here at Cadillac) we use electrical terminal spray cleaner from your local electronics store & GM terminal coating part # 12377900 available at any GM parts location.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.