Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help - I am so close to getting it running again ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
I am not sure I have the fuel lines correctly hooked up? The feed line comes from the tank, goes to the pressure regulator, then the drivers side fuel rail. Out of this rail through a connector on the motor (which has an electrical connector) then to one side of the passengers side rail. On teh opposite side of teh passengers side fuel rail is the return line to the pump - sound right?? If so, what other potential issues might there be? I will check the fuel pump next! I am so close I can hear it !!!
bondo
I'm pretty darn sure that the pressure regulator goes after the fuel rails. The regulator should be the last thing before going up front to the tank.
Cap'n Krusty
Yup. The regualtor keeps the pressure at the desired number taking into account all the demands by "consumers" (injectors). It does so by only allowing fuel in excess of the needs of the engine to pass through. The Cap'n
vesnyder
Sounds good. I will have to give that a try! Stay tuned!
URY914
Be sure those hose clamps are TIGHT!

Ever had gas in your eyes? I have. Hurts bad.
vesnyder
Fixed the fuel supply, but still no luck keeping it running? I am pretty sure it gets spark because when I use starter fluid it runs momentarily. What is the next logical problem area - injectors? I double checked the control panel connections - anything typically missed or that goes bad?
bondo
Do you hear the fuel pump run for a second when you first turn on the key? If not, start with that.
vesnyder
The fuel pump I think is OK - I can see the fuel flow in the return line and I do hear the pump run for a second when I turn the key. For some reason I think it's the injectors. Any way to check? What else could it be?
John
What engine and what FI?

If it is D-jet, you should be able to hear the injectors click several times each when you open the throttle valve with the ignition on.

The Throttle Position Sensor enrichment will pulse the injectors.

You could also try a noid light to make sure it flashes (indicating a pulse to an injector).

You could pull the injectors out(still connected to the fuel rail and have the other end in a container) to see if they squirt fuel.
vesnyder
johnman - It is a D-jet, so I will check to see if I hear a clicking when I open the throttle. Can I just put a sensor light between the contacts of the injector to see if it flashes? Thanks
vesnyder
I can really hear the injectors - and feel them clicking as well. There seems to be only one per side that is clicking - normal? I assume that is good? What else? Could it be the fuel pressure?
Bleyseng
They click in pairs. Do the test running the injectors one at a time into a glass jar to see the spray or if they are spraying any gas. Pull the coil wire so there is NO SPARK.

bondo
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 23 2006, 10:10 PM) *

They click in pairs. Do the test running the injectors one at a time into a glass jar to see the spray or if they are spraying any gas. Pull the coil wire so there is NO SPARK.

Pull the 12v wire to the coil, NOT the HV wire from the coil to the distributor. I have seen coils arc from their HV post to ground, with that wire disconnected. (It's also hard on the internal insulation of the coil, because if it can't make a spark, the voltage of the secondary spikes really high)
McMark
Purchase a mechanics stethoscope and place the probe on an injector while a friend turns the motor over. You should be able to hear if the injectors are firing or not. Could be trigger points got unplugged.
Dr Evil
Have you adjusted your fuel pressure?
Stieve
Stop! Is you fuel pump in thr front or rear? I relocated mine up front, and fixed a hose leak after sitting for awhile. So it ran but died, problem was a kinked hose under the tank . Let us know. start with things you last touched first. Mine is a 73 withD-ject.
vesnyder
The fuel pump is in the front, and that may be the issue? I have one of those clear fuel filters and it was leaking up a storm? I also may have a kink in the line, and have also had issues with the pump in the past. Will get under there and take a better look - hopefully soon.
tdgray
Vance. If you get stuck let me know. I am in your neck of the woods.

My time is limited but I can give you a hand.

Believe me, I have been there and done that with the fuel situation.

You have not mentioned it I think... are you sure you are getting fuel to the rails?
vesnyder
Todd - Appreciate the offer. Hopefully we can work through it virtually! I can see fuel in the return fuel line, but I am not convinced I have the correct flow and/or pressure to the rails? I need to check the pump and filter to ensure I am getting unrestricted flow - the lines tend to gimp under the tank and I've had pump issues in the past? Will let you know if I find anything interesting!

You can send me an email at vesnyder@hotmail and bypass this thread if you prefer?
Bleyseng
So you see fuel in the return line? What about the feed line? You could have the lines crossed so no fuel is in the feed line under 30lbs PSI to the fuel rails.

You can just pull an injectors and spray it in a glass jar to check....unplug the 12v power feed to the coil first.
bernbomb914
I had that problem and found a kinked hose at the tank. put a sprong around it to keep it from kinking and fixed the problem

Bernie
tdgray
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Jul 24 2006, 11:12 AM) *

I had that problem and found a kinked hose at the tank. put a sprong around it to keep it from kinking and fixed the problem

Bernie

What the hell is a sprong blink.gif biggrin.gif
BMXerror
The first thing I would do is find yourself a pressure gauge and check it at the driver's side fuel rail. Theres' a port that the factory put there to test and set the fuel pressure. If you're getting no fuel pressure, but you're hearing the pump run, AND you see fuel in the return line I would suspect one of two things.
A: Your supply lines to the fuel rails are plugged up.
B: The valve on the pump that bypasses the rails is stuck open, so it just pumps strait back to the tank. (I had this problem about a month ago)
I would just pull the line from the pump to the fuel rails right at the pump. Have someone turn the ignition on and see if fuel comes out (It should be quite a bit). If not, it's probably that valve. If so, then you probably have a clog in the lines somewhere after the pump.
Mark D.
vesnyder
Success!! Pelcan Parts Dave hit it right on - it was a loose wire at the Manifold Pressure Sensor. Hooked it up and it started right up! Thanks Dave! Now I need to adjust the idle? It is idling around 3k RPM - not good?

Thanks everyone for your help!
tdgray
QUOTE(vesnyder @ Jul 24 2006, 04:43 PM) *

Now I need to adjust the idle? It is idling around 3k RPM - not good?

Thanks everyone for your help!

You've got vacuum leaks cowboy... hunt 'em down.

Don't touch the idle screw until you find all of them. BTDT biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.