Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Today was the Porsche Club/ BMW Challenge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
URY914
This was the first time we held this kind of event. There were 60 drivers entered and was split just about 30/30 between the "teams'. The plan is to take each driver's best time, add them together and get the average time for the team. I didn't stay for the entire calculation (it was about to rain again). But the P-team had it all over the B-team. The course was around a minute. Around a minute for the B-team because we had several guys below 1:00. On my third run I laid down a smokin' 53.9XX for the fastest time of the day.

The two things that were trouble last time seem to be fixed. I did a quick alinement to the tail and added some shims to get out some camber. And I ran it with my air box base plate. This may have helped my hot start issue.

There was a guy there taking pics and they will be posted on the BWM club site someday. I'll post them here when I can. I also taped the runs with my rollbar mounted camera. Now I gotta figure out how to download and post here. confused24.gif

I beginning to get a handle on this beast now. driving.gif

Paul
ConeDodger
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 23 2006, 03:41 PM) *

This was the first time we held this kind of event. There were 60 drivers entered and was split just about 30/30 between the "teams'. The plan is to take each driver's best time, add them together and get the average time for the team. I didn't stay for the entire calculation (it was about to rain again). But the P-team had it all over the B-team. The course was around a minute. Around a minute for the B-team because we had several guys below 1:00. On my third run I laid down a smokin' 53.9XX for the fastest time of the day.

The two things that were trouble last time seem to be fixed. I did a quick alinement to the tail and added some shims to get out some camber. And I ran it with my air box base plate. This may have helped my hot start issue.

There was a guy there taking pics and they will be posted on the BWM club site someday. I'll post them here when I can. I also taped the runs with my rollbar mounted camera. Now I gotta figure out how to download and post here. confused24.gif

Paul

Way to go Paul! Now all I need is another what? 24 years with the 4 and 27 with the 6 to finally start getting a handle on mine? smile.gif
J P Stein
Atta go, Paul.
That'll teach them Beemer folks not to show up with a knife at a gun fight.

Similar to what happened at the WCC AX. The fastest non 914 time was middle 33 sec. Brit claimed to have a clean 30.6 but the score sheet said +1 cone, so his 31.28
was official.
Randal
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 23 2006, 03:41 PM) *

Paul

Congratulations Paul. Great Driving....a 53 was really smoking.

Wish you were taking that car to Parade.
URY914
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 24 2006, 07:54 AM) *

Congratulations Paul. Great Driving....a 53 was really smoking.

Wish you were taking that car to Parade.

Thanks Randal. The P-cars ran first and the way the course is laid out you really can't see the first group run. I would always like to watch first than run. The second group ran as we worked the course and some of the guys were really flying and I thought my time may get bettered (is that a word?) But afterward I went back and check thier times and they didn't come close. I must have been flying. biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Go to PUTFILE.COM That site can accept your video and pictures then paste the link here.

Nice job of opening a can of "modified 914 Whoop ass" and generously applying it to the entire field.

Had that same senario last event. thought my buddies car was really haulin. his time verfied it.

Then I laid down a run 1.5 seconds faster than his. As I drove through grid the street racers were like " DAMN, that shit is fast" I had a line of cuties all wanting a ride for the next run. mueba.gif
URY914
Here is a link to a video of the course run in a Miata. He's time was 56.381. He is a PCA owner but didn't have his Boxster so they let him run but didn't use his time in the average. We sure could have used it because our average was slower than the BMW's. We lost the challenge. mad.gif

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/b6e32eb...808012bdc31.htm

BTW my time was 53.955. I was .03 quicker then Danny Shields.
Joe Ricard
Damn that Miata is sooo quite. Funky little feature right before the turn around. WTF was that? Slalom angling away from gate is a nice touch, looks like it through him a bit.
OK so where's your videos big man?
URY914
The thing before the turn around is a "5 cone box". Dumbest thing I ever seen. Four cones in a square with one right in the center. The was 7' on each side of the center cone. The BMW guys were going through it on the left and the P-car boys were going thru on the right. The BMW guys hit that center cone just about every other car. happy11.gif
Joe Ricard
We had a funny one a few events ago. Someone latter named them Boobies.
Picture 2 arcs joined together with the apex of each having a cone (nipple) and in the center (cleavage) another cone.

Walking through everybody said man that's close going to have to slow down for that one. I never said a word while pacing out the distance.

They nearly shit when I was flat out through both arcs. Later others figured it out.

Sometimes you got to walk a course using different lines to find where you can not have to brake or even lift.

Starting optional slaloms with the exit in mind is always a good one.
J P Stein
Some runs you eat the bear & some runs the bear eats you.

There's a 5 box bout 2/3rds the way down this long section. 5 boxes slow down most folks & Vettes mostly hit a cone as we give em' about 6 inches clearance to either side biggrin.gif
The idea was to do the loop & come back thru it. Since the run was toast already.....
a vid. I could show ya a good run from that day.....but that's no fun.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...013B4892195B353
Joe Ricard
Jp that has got to suck DNF after like the 3rd cone. Yea got to have big balls to shoot that 5 cone som bitch wide open. What's with all the throttle blippin down shifting shit going on at the turn around.

Maybe 4's ARE faster than 6's flipa.gif
J P Stein

>Jp that has got to suck DNF after like the 3rd cone.<

Ya think? idea.gif

>Yea got to have big balls to shoot that 5 cone som bitch wide open.<

Hay, it was my first run....whad'da I know? confused24.gif

>What's with all the throttle blippin down shifting shit going on at the turn around.<

That's called re-screwing the pooch. barf.gif

>Maybe 4's ARE faster than 6's flipa.gif<

Yeah *maybe*.......... av-943.gif

As I said, I coulda showed a good run, but then you wouldn't be havin' all this fun...asshole.

Joe Ricard
Chill, I should probably post my shitty run too. Spun it and was throwing cones everywhere. alfred.gif That's what happens when ya hang it out for that almighty .5 seconds end up costing 10 whole seconds. But hey it's fun. beer.gif
Hopefully I will have at least one good clip from this coming Saturday.

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 25 2006, 09:55 PM) *

>Jp that has got to suck DNF after like the 3rd cone.<

Ya think? idea.gif

>Yea got to have big balls to shoot that 5 cone som bitch wide open.<

Hay, it was my first run....whad'da I know? confused24.gif

>What's with all the throttle blippin down shifting shit going on at the turn around.<

That's called re-screwing the pooch. barf.gif

>Maybe 4's ARE faster than 6's flipa.gif<

Yeah *maybe*.......... av-943.gif

As I said, I coulda showed a good run, but then you wouldn't be havin' all this fun...asshole.
URY914
I getting drawn into a argument that I know I'm right on but I need to let it go...

There is a local website that all the times were posted on. The fastest time run by the "BWM" club was by a Mini Copper S. I asked if a Mini was a BMW. The responses implied that it is not but the BMW club has "embraced" them. WTF? Mini is owned by BMW, but is not a BMW. It does not say BMW on the car badge. They do share some parts. It is sold at Mini dealers not BMW dealers. Are old Minis allowed to run with the BMW guys too? Can VW owners now run with the Porsche club? VW ownes a piece of Porsche. It is supposed to be the BMW/Porsche Challenge not the "BMW (and it's subsidiaries)/ Porsche Challenge". confused24.gif

We shouldn't have played the game until we agreed to the rules. I could jump up and down and make a big deal about it but I'll let it go..... for now.
J P Stein
Just for the sake of arguement......
The Mini is as much a BMW as a 914 is a Porsche. biggrin.gif
URY914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 26 2006, 08:21 AM) *

Just for the sake of arguement......
The Mini is as much a BMW as a 914 is a Porsche. biggrin.gif

That's why I didn't want to make too much of a deal of it. I didn't want some punk a-hole throwing the 914=NARP crap at me.

At least on the 914 it says "PORSCHE" on the back of it, it was sold and serviced at P dealers.

Joe Ricard
So where is the VIDEO of you driving your car like you stole it?

Had a Mini Cooper S for 2 miserable years. If BMW does own or distribute or what ever. I can see now why it is not really embraced by "M powered" snobs.

Have you figured out I hated that little POS. The RX-8 is 5 times the car and I'll keep it for as long it takes for something better to come along. Solstice GXP????????
URY914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 26 2006, 08:39 AM) *

So where is the VIDEO of you driving your car like you stole it?

I have some PC issues at home but I'll get the video on me posted asap. I did find a video of a BMW from Sunday but its as slow as a slug and no fun to watch.
Mike T
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 25 2006, 06:24 AM) *

thumb3d.gif Nice. That's not easy.

Mike T
URY914
QUOTE(Mike T @ Jul 27 2006, 05:13 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 25 2006, 06:24 AM) *

thumb3d.gif Nice. That's not easy.

Mike T

Danny is a 4 time SCCA National Champ and has been Parade Champ countless times. He also is the test driver when Grassroots Motorsports magazine tests a/x tires. Sooooooooo smooth when he drives and a very nice guy too.
URY914
Picks are posted....

URY914
mo..

URY914
biggrin.gif
URY914
This is Oregon Hunter, original -6 with a 2.7 in it now. First time a/xing. Said he is a member here.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.