Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel filter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
i relocated my fuel pump to the front near the master cylinder. there is not a lot of room to put the filter in. has anyone put it by the rear tire between the center tunnel hard line and the soft line to the engine. also should i assume that the arrows on the filter indicate fuel flow from the tank to the engine. my german stinks.
SirAndy
QUOTE(nycchef @ Jul 23 2006, 04:32 PM) *

i relocated my fuel pump to the front near the master cylinder. there is not a lot of room to put the filter in. has anyone put it by the rear tire between the center tunnel hard line and the soft line to the engine. also should i assume that the arrows on the filter indicate fuel flow from the tank to the engine. my german stinks.

uhm, can the filter handle the pressure? i hardly doubt it. (btw. this would be DANGEROUS, think FIRE)

the 914 fuel filters are mounted *before* the pump on the low pressure side of things ...

why did you relocate your pump?
confused24.gif Andy

PS: did you make sure the fuel lines in the center tunnel can handle the pressure as well?
nycchef

confused24.gif Andy

thanks i didn't realize about the pressure. relocated the pump because of vapor lock. center tunnel lines are stock are they o.k.

SirAndy
QUOTE(nycchef @ Jul 23 2006, 06:03 PM) *

confused24.gif Andy

thanks i didn't realize about the pressure. relocated the pump because of vapor lock. center tunnel lines are stock are they o.k.

interesting. i have never had any problems with vapor lock. is this a race car?

anyways, the best location (IMHO) for the front fuelpump is under the tank. there's plenty of room for a filter there too, plus, the fuel lines are right there.

you should consider putting the filter under the tank, between tank and pump.

as for the stock plastic lines, make damm sure they're in good condition. 30psi makes for a nice gas-o-line sprinkler inside your car ...
smile.gif Andy
nycchef
andy thanks for the help. new to old 914's (had one in the early 80"s) assumed it is vapor lock hot days would cut out had to rest for30 minutes then was o.k. for a while. am i correct about the arrows. how are you feeling?
SirAndy
QUOTE(nycchef @ Jul 23 2006, 06:47 PM) *

am i correct about the arrows

yes, arrow is from tank to engine ...
smile.gif Andy
Joe Owensby
Vapor Lock- oringinally was a big problem on hot days. I had this problem on my '73 1.7 when it was new. I took it back to the Porsche dealer about 10 times. It would just die when I stopped at a traffic light or tool booth. After cranking the starter for 5 or so miutes, it would start up again. The dealer's mechanic replaced all the FI components, fuel lines, pump, etc. etc. Each time, they thought it was fixed. Finally, several months later, there was a factory service bulletin out that defined a fix that was almost a complete fix. The fix entailed removing a baffle at the end of the heater valve box that deflected the heated cooling air back toward the pump. They replaced the baffle with a short piece of hose to direct the air away from the pump. This pretty much solved the problem. As long as the car was moving, the heated air didn't collect at the pump, but when it was hot and stopped, the hot air and reduced fuel flow was too much. Joe O.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.