Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another dumb question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ehick72
I can not figure out how you remove pieces with this kind of fastener. Am I supposed to just rip it off?

firstknight13
DRILLEM out they are rivits!!! alfred.gif biggrin.gif
elwood-914
I agree.....drill em!
SirAndy
agree.gif rivets, needs to be drilled out ...
Joe Bob
Or use a flat chisel to shear the tops off then a punch...
bob174
If you drill them use a drill bit slightly smaller than the dead diameter. The shaft is probably half the diameter of the head. You drill the head, and it will separate from the shaft--when it separates, stop drilling--don't drill all the way throug the rivet shaft, or you'll enlarge the hole. Use a punch and carefully hammer the shaft through the hole. You'll need to get a pop rivet tool and pop rivets to replace these panels. You can get them at Home Depot.
TINCAN914
QUOTE(bob174 @ Jul 23 2006, 05:25 PM) *

If you drill them use a drill bit slightly smaller than the dead diameter. The shaft is probably half the diameter of the head. You drill the head, and it will separate from the shaft--when it separates, stop drilling--don't drill all the way throug the rivet shaft, or you'll enlarge the hole. Use a punch and carefully hammer the shaft through the hole. You'll need to get a pop rivet tool and pop rivets to replace these panels. You can get them at Home Depot.

Pop rivers mightbe cleaner,but if you don't want the addes expense of buying the gun, and if you need toremove them in the future, just get some sheet metal screws.. my .02
ehick72
QUOTE(bob174 @ Jul 23 2006, 06:25 PM) *

If you drill them use a drill bit slightly smaller than the dead diameter. The shaft is probably half the diameter of the head. You drill the head, and it will separate from the shaft. Then use a punch and gently hammer the shaft through the hole. You'll need to get a pop rivet tool and pop rivets to replace these panels. You can get them at Home Depot.

That's the kinda answer I like!!...even one step ahead of me with knowing I probably don't know how to put them back on. LOL Thanks Brain
Joe Bob
OR....1/4 inch sheet metal screws.....
Joe Bob
Geez....three responses in the same minute....some BORED MOFOS out here tonight....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.