Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 tall 5 th gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
msurel
Hi all
I have a 72 914 with a 5.0L SBC. It has the 901 sideshift tranny. I a have heard of people putting a taller gear on 5th, to decrease the 3200 RPM cruise speed to around 2400. Does anyone know anything about this? How difficult, where to get this gear? I have a guy who would be willing to do this for me but he has never heard of it. How can I determine my current final drive ratio?
Thanks
mark
Bleyseng
As I understand it, you must use another gear set like a 3rd gear and flip it. The standard "ZD" gears are the tallest made. I the ratio for a 914 3rd flipped is .5985 which should be plenty tall for you.
There are tons of gear sets out there available for the 901 tranny. I would call Renegade Hybrids to get the info for a V8 tranny.

Geoff
LS6/914
Bleyseng is correct. I have a 5.3l currently installed & a modified 901 from renegade. (LS6 motor & reversed 930 trans waiting to go in). I would be gentle with 1st gear launch as the 901 cannot tolerate much over 300hp. Contact Renegade Hybrids for the "improved" 901 gears & axles. They also offer a 915 & 930 reversed transaxle $$$$$$$$
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.