Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Think the cops would give me a hard time?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turboman808
Thinking it would be pretty sweet to replace the fogs with some HIDs and remove the regular lights all together. Get a race hood of course. smile.gif

Probably a bad idea right?
drewvw

no doubt, some cop is going to pull you over...so just don't be doing anything else thats wrong. beer3.gif smoke.gif

Drew
914-8
probably depends on where you live.

I think in most areas, as long as the lights are lighting up the road ok, and, more importantly, aren't blinding others, I don't think you'd have a problem.

I think 99.99% of cops wouldn't even know where the lights are supposed to be, esp. if you have a race hood. I doubt many would get out a ruler to measure to some obscure DOT height standard.
smontanaro
Does the fog light location provide enough adjustment or would you have to buy/build an adjustment mechanism?

Skip
wbergtho
I think you would be alright if the lower fog lights are replaced (like you say) with a pair of good driving lights. In most places you will be ok. I don't know how anal the PD is in NY but I'm guessing they would be ok with it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jul 23 2006, 05:17 PM) *

Thinking it would be pretty sweet to replace the fogs with some HIDs and remove the regular lights all together. Get a race hood of course. smile.gif

it'll work but highly illegal in most states. the headlights have to be a certain hight off the ground ...

our cars are already pretty low to the ground, i don't see how moving the lights even lower would do you any good. less visibility ...

smile.gif Andy
John
it'll work but highly illegal in most states. the headlights have to be a certain hight off the ground ...

agree.gif

Unfortunately the opposite is not. It would seem that headlights can be at rear view mirror height and above with no problems.

Any cop up on the law will know that headlights have to be up so high.
Sammy
bad idea.
cbenitah
Lets just wait for Felix and TOny to finish the HID.. For now you can drive in day light laugh.gif
nomore9one4
What you need is night vision goggles and you will not need any stinkin headlights bye1.gif
msglaigaie
I wanted to do the same mod, but I checked the laws first. Washington State requires 24 inches from the ground. Lo and behold a 914 w/15 inch tires is right on the mark. I do not want to go thru the 'blue light special' so the lights have to stay. MSG L
So.Cal.914
A CHP would nail you for them being to low, but sense you don't have CHP's

no problem. smile.gif
maf914
Remove the original head lights and go with a solid one piece front hood. Design and install an inconspicuous mount that would allow you to "plug in" a set of driving lights at the required 24" minimum height for night driving. laugh.gif
turboman808
QUOTE(maf914 @ Jul 24 2006, 10:25 AM) *

Remove the original head lights and go with a solid one piece front hood. Design and install an inconspicuous mount that would allow you to "plug in" a set of driving lights at the required 24" minimum height for night driving. laugh.gif

HAHA Yeah I will mount some cibies when I get caught out late biggrin.gif

Not a bad idea really.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 23 2006, 07:12 PM) *

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jul 23 2006, 05:17 PM) *

our cars are already pretty low to the ground, i don't see how moving the lights even lower would do you any good. less visibility ...

smile.gif Andy

Not only is the height regulation a factor, but any light used as a "headlight" or main driving light, has to be DOT approved as such. You can't just stick a light in the hole and expect it to be OK. The Cap'n
maf914
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jul 24 2006, 11:50 AM) *

QUOTE(maf914 @ Jul 24 2006, 10:25 AM) *

HAHA Yeah I will mount some cibies when I get caught out late biggrin.gif

Not a bad idea really.

Inspired by 911's I've seen with supplemental driving lights monted on the front hood between the headlights. Sort of rally style. idea.gif
turboman808
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 24 2006, 12:01 PM) *

Not only is the height regulation a factor, but any light used as a "headlight" or main driving light, has to be DOT approved as such. You can't just stick a light in the hole and expect it to be OK. The Cap'n

I'm running euro lights right now so technicaly I am not DOT legal already.
Mueller
depends on the cop....1 being best case, 3 being worst case.......

1......... warning to fix it

2......... fix-it ticket

3......... car impounded due to being unsafe, yes, they can impound and tow away a car deemed by the police as not being fit to be on the road due to a "safety" violation...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.