Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 914 Dismantle thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ehick72
Ladies and gentlemen....I have come to the crossroads. Huge amounts of rust, a body shift, 2 out of 4 jack points gone, A targa top that pops off whenever I turn the corner, wheels that will not align properly if my life depended on it, and finding a 914 body that with almost no rust has forces me to disassemble my yellow rocket and take inventory of the parts for my new white 914 project.

This is my first thread ever so be gentle with me.

ehick72
I even still have junk in my truck!
ehick72
Original green seeing daylight for the first time since Germany 1973!
ehick72
Most of the green in this picture is not the original paint but rather the green tarp that is laying below the car.

orange914
my sons 73 has the same wheels, i see them every now and then. do you know if they are aftermarket and do your caps have 4 small machine screw/tapped holes or press in? i've been told they are dealer add ons and been told aftermarket??
good luck w/ your project welder.gif
Lou W
QUOTE(ehick72 @ Jul 23 2006, 06:03 PM) *

Most of the green in this picture is not the original paint but rather the green tarp that is laying below the car.

blink.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif Wow, I thought it was the original color...are you going to go with the origianl color?

keep the pictures coming. smile.gif
grasshopper
agree.gif show some pics of the rust...I might be interested in the body..
ehick72
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jul 23 2006, 08:51 PM) *

my sons 73 has the same wheels, i see them every now and then. do you know if they are aftermarket and do your caps have 4 small machine screw/tapped holes or press in? i've been told they are dealer add ons and been told aftermarket??

The first time I saw that style of wheel was on my brother's Karmann Ghia. He would brag about how he had porsche rims. Then years later when I bought this car I assumed that they came with the car or from another 914. However I do know that my cap is just a press in and I don't have the 4 holes. I may have seen a serial number or logo eched in it the last time I pulled them off. I will take a look today and let you know what I find.

Eric
ehick72
I have some more detailed pictures of the rust. I will post them when I get back to the house. It's everywhere. Some very minor steps were taken to slow it but time has really taken it's toll. The cross piece that runs the width of the car under the seats isn't even connected on the drivers side which would explain the flexing thru turns.

We found this once my brother and I had to removed the driver's seat, (by prying free the long block of wood the seat was screwed into) the fiberglass came with it. We did this by putting a long bar under the seat and jumping on the other end. That was the only way to get it out. Whoever put the seat in did not plan on ever removing it. WTF.gif

Fortunately the seat and bracket came out unharmed. However, because there was no real way to attach the bracket anymore. My brother welded the bracket into place to basically get me down the road.

We found that my butt had been hanging over the road by pretty much a thread. We also found that the fiberglass was keeping moisture in and causing the rust damage to accelerate.

The last 2 months it's been parked outside while I worry about mice, rats, or even squirrels with the size of the holes taking refuge in my car.

tdsmoonchild
QUOTE(ehick72 @ Jul 24 2006, 07:57 AM) *

We also found that the fiberglass was keeping moisture in and causing the rust damage to accelerate.

same with my car, PO had fiberglassed over every rusted area on the car when he restored it in the '80's. Now it's like swiss cheese when I grind off the fiberglass "repairs."
ehick72
more pics of the rust. I don't have pictures yet of the underbody but there is plent of damage down there.
fitsbain
FIX IT!!! FIX IT !!! FIX IT!!!

It can be done. Look at my thread (have to dig as I havn't updated in a while).

It can be done if you want to.

Good Luck!!!
So.Cal.914
The rims are not factory they were aftermarket. I too have seen them on other

914's and VW's. I cannot however remember the name of them.
nomore9one4
I believe they are Western wheels.
ehick72
QUOTE(ehick72 @ Jul 24 2006, 05:12 AM) *

QUOTE(orange914 @ Jul 23 2006, 08:51 PM) *

The first time I saw that style of wheel was on my brother's Karmann Ghia. He would brag about how he had porsche rims. Then years later when I bought this car I assumed that they came with the car or from another 914. However I do know that my cap is just a press in and I don't have the 4 holes. I may have seen a serial number or logo eched in it the last time I pulled them off. I will take a look today and let you know what I find.

Eric

'
The wheels say "Dan Gurney Ind." on the inside.
ehick72
Finally got the recipient car moved from my brother's house to my girlfriend's garage after sitting for many months under a tarp.
ehick72
The the rear trunk lid was perfect and ready for paint but a slight mishap took place during transport. At 65 mph the strap holding the rear trunk lid down as the car was being towed gave way and suddenly we had a giant air brake. Thus bending the crap out of the lid and the assemble. Not quite sure yet how to fix that properly!!! Please let me know if anyone has any ideas.
rmital
QUOTE(boboli914@att.net @ Jul 24 2006, 09:05 AM) *

I believe they are Western wheels.

nope...don't know what they are....but these are Westerns.
jd74914
His wheels are commonly known as westerns too. Why, I do not know, maybe its the same manufacture? They are also sometimes known as Dan Gurney wheels (his wheels).
chilli
QUOTE(ehick72 @ Jul 23 2006, 04:55 PM) *

I even still have junk in my truck!

YES, mine sits in garage with cover on it, great place to hide christmas gifts.
mike driving.gif driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.