Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Rotor / Wheel bearing how to
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
Is there a writeup with pics anywhere on how to change the front rotor?

I just found out the lug studs are bolted to the rotor, not to a hub like most cars. I was also surprised to see the wheel bearings seated in the rotor. I guess it was designed to save $$. Is there a procedure on how to install the bearings and torque everything down?

Any tips on getting the lug studs off the rotor? What size bolt is it?

Thanks
lapuwali
Lug studs? There shouldn't be any lug studs. The wheels are supposed to be held on with bolts. Anything else is some aftermarket modification, so you're not going to get a useful answer from anyone here, you'll have to measure things for yourself to see what some PO did to the car.

Yes, the front wheel bearings are part of the rotor "hat" on the 914. This is in common with many VWs of the period (Type III is that way, probably Type IV, too).

Replacing the front bearings is a matter of removing the old races (using a bearing driver, a punch, or a chisel to drive them out. Then, freeze the new races for a day or so, and tap them into the hub using a bearing driver, or a big socket, or the old race.
yarin
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 23 2006, 09:32 PM) *

Lug studs? There shouldn't be any lug studs. The wheels are supposed to be held on with bolts. Anything else is some aftermarket modification, so you're not going to get a useful answer from anyone here, you'll have to measure things for yourself to see what some PO did to the car.

Yes, the front wheel bearings are part of the rotor "hat" on the 914. This is in common with many VWs of the period (Type III is that way, probably Type IV, too).

Replacing the front bearings is a matter of removing the old races (using a bearing driver, a punch, or a chisel to drive them out. Then, freeze the new races for a day or so, and tap them into the hub using a bearing driver, or a big socket, or the old race.

Hmmm... interesting.. i've got lug nuts and studs. weird. ya learn something every day!

sounds like i'm better off getting the existing rotors measured and cut for now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.