Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Refinishing Fog Light bodies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
Since I like to have at least 2 of everything, just picked up some fogs that need refinishing. Rear shells appear to have been media blasted (not sure which media, but they have a crystaline finish). Lenses & seals are brand new & with proper re-finishing of the shells will be better than my orig's.

Questions are: ( & I don't want to remove my orig's to gat the answers - lazy!)

Outer rear shells - satin, glossy?

Inside of rear shells - same, if they were finished at all.

Other - the outer front sealing rings appear to be painted brass! Can that be, or is it a cad plaiting under the paint?

davep
I believe the paint finish is glossy.
The rings are brass.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(davep @ Jul 24 2006, 01:30 PM) *

I believe the paint finish is glossy.
The rings are brass.

Yep, the rings look like brass & I'm not worried about them - they'll be easy to refinish. The bodies are a bit of a problem.

The PO appears to have had them media blasted, which took off all the paint & left a grainy finish. I can get rid of the grainy finish, but want to certain whether to use a gloss or satin finish.

I don't need these things, but someone else will & I'd like to present them properly.

Any other comments?
Bleyseng
I quickly looked at a nice set I have stashed and they appear to be a satin body with glossly rings (brass showing thru).

Most of the sets of fogs I have seen are pretty rusty.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 24 2006, 09:29 PM) *

I quickly looked at a nice set I have stashed and they appear to be a satin body with glossly rings (brass showing thru).

Most of the sets of fogs I have seen are pretty rusty.

THANK YOU - exactly what I thought, just wanted verification. Now I'll go to work.
Bleyseng
PM Korijo as he got a set of NOS foglites off Ebay. He should still have them.
Pat Garvey
The set I'm re-doing is very nice, with new lenses, but has some pitting on the rear of the bodies.

I won't have them sandblasted, because the pitting is near the mounting hardware, which is perfect & I don't want to destroy it.

I CAN grind it off with a Dremel, but it's messy & takes time. I'm wondering about POR-15. Will this stuff fill in the pits and, if so, how paintable is it after it sets?

Though I haven't used it before, I am aware of the "skin" pitfalls of this product. Anyone care to offer they're .02?
John
The best set I have ever owned (which are on my car now) were as described; satin backs and glossy rings.

They have never been altered, so I believe the finish is original as well. Definately not gloss black.
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 23 2006, 05:04 PM) *

Since I like to have at least 2 of everything, just picked up some fogs that need refinishing. Rear shells appear to have been media blasted (not sure which media, but they have a crystaline finish). Lenses & seals are brand new & with proper re-finishing of the shells will be better than my orig's.

Other - the outer front sealing rings appear to be painted brass! Can that be, or is it a cad plaiting under the paint?

Sorry have been under the overtime rock::::
Anyway I have my New NOS set here..
But before that...
From the factory>>The shells were painted before the 'mount was rivited to them'.....
ANYWAY had some 'baked' to remove excess paint at the powder coaters..
EVEN though I told them not to..
Got the shells back beautifully powder coated...
WITH THE MOUNT MELTED OFF!!!!!!
You can use your Wenol or semi chrome on the mounts..
And mask off the mount and use a 'Satin Gloss Black' on
both the ring and the body..
As that is what is in my hand #91463113411.....
BTW....your car is a 72 early?????
70/71 had the 'Cross Bar Flutted lens'...which has been S/S
to the non xbar flutted ......(vertical lines only)...
Stock OEM bulb was always Phillips #12227 35 watt..
Porsche # 90063113090
Any questions on the hardware that mounts to the car??
Oh and how are yah??
Bleyseng
Here is a photo of my good set of fogs. I use the pilot driving lite conversion on my car so these are in storage. They do have the halogen bulbs in them
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914runnow @ Aug 9 2006, 10:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 23 2006, 05:04 PM) *

Sorry have been under the overtime rock::::
Anyway I have my New NOS set here..
But before that...
From the factory>>The shells were painted before the 'mount was rivited to them'.....
ANYWAY had some 'baked' to remove excess paint at the powder coaters..
EVEN though I told them not to..
Got the shells back beautifully powder coated...
WITH THE MOUNT MELTED OFF!!!!!!
You can use your Wenol or semi chrome on the mounts..
And mask off the mount and use a 'Satin Gloss Black' on
both the ring and the body..
As that is what is in my hand #91463113411.....
BTW....your car is a 72 early?????
70/71 had the 'Cross Bar Flutted lens'...which has been S/S
to the non xbar flutted ......(vertical lines only)...
Stock OEM bulb was always Phillips #12227 35 watt..
Porsche # 90063113090
Any questions on the hardware that mounts to the car??
Oh and how are yah??

Hradware & lenses are perfect, but the bcks have some pitting. As to how am I, I was Dremeling (if that's a word) the back of one of them todat & as I was reaching for my goggles got zapped in the eye by a piece of ? Thanks for aasking - I'm off to the Ophthamologist tomorrow morning. Never had blood coming out of an eye!
Eric_Shea
I chromed a set for the vents on my early 911. Here's some pics that might help:

Inside paint.

Click to view attachment

Chromed (not applicable I know...flog me with a Q-tip)

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Just read the last post. Hope you're OK Pat.
Eric_Shea
I took my mounts off with said Dremel(er)

Click to view attachment

Then I bead blasted them with 80 glass

Click to view attachment

Other side...

Click to view attachment
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 12 2006, 03:56 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Other side...

Click to view attachment

Hey Eric!

Thanks for the concern - eye is good now. Quick trip to the Optho to remove a fairly large piece of iron oxide from a 1/4 inch outside of the lens! Stupid, stupid, stupid! And my goggles were on my head!

Those chromies are gorgeous & will really show nicely on your 911.

You showed how you removed the mount rivets, but what type of rivet did you use for re-mounting them - tha's a really hardcore rivet the manufacturer used!

Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 12 2006, 07:26 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Other side...

Click to view attachment

Hey Eric!

Thanks for the concern - eye is good now. Quick trip to the Optho to remove a fairly large piece of iron oxide from a 1/4 inch outside of the lens! Stupid, stupid, stupid! And my goggles were on my head!

You showed how you removed the mount rivets, but what type of rivet did you use for re-mounting them - tha's a really hardcore rivet the manufacturer used!

Pat

Hey Eric - I re-ask my question about replacement rivets!
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 26 2006, 09:21 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Other side...

Click to view attachment

Hey Eric!

Pat

Pat

Umm, Eric - one more try - what did you use for a replacement rivet?
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 27 2006, 06:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 26 2006, 09:21 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Other side...

Click to view attachment

Hey Eric!

Pat

Pat

Umm, Eric - one more try - what did you use for a replacement rivet?

Hey Pat..He just did RRC with fam..as it looks like with pics..
Prolly contact him directly...
Thanx Rx (ps ..I would like to know too??)
Eric_Shea
Sorry Pat... more pics might help. I didn't have a thread reminder. Sorry again.

Looks like the head size is 7mm and they are either bright plated or chromed. I would imagine plated.

Click to view attachment

Here it shows the rivet out...

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
I found different lens patterns and heights as well... something to be aware of.

Pattern:

Click to view attachment

Height:

Click to view attachment
Pat Garvey
Well now, ain't this a fine kettle......

If it isn't difficult enough to stay original.....not we have different lenses! Thanks Eric...I think!

We all know that we can do whatever we want on the backside of these foglight bodies, because no one will see them. I just happen to want both my pairs perfect - I think I can handle that if I can find the right size rivets.

But the lenses? Because I'm fortunate to be the original owner of my 914, I know which lenses are correct.....for my 914!

But....from this point on, I'll not be able to make a deduct in concours for improper early lenses (I'm assuming Eric's lenses are both early), unless someone can cite the difference & when they applied. Cool stuff, nonetheless!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.