Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Difference in 911 front hubs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sj914
Is there a difference in sizes i.e. bearing sizes, hub thickness among the late 60's 911 hubs and the early 70's hubs? I wanna put a 5 bolt conversion on my car but I don't know much about the differences in the different years.
TimT
yes there is a difference...

the spindle is the same, bearings are the same size. The only difference is the lock-nut, on the early spindles its small and fine thread, on the later spindles its larger dia and coarse thread...

I dont know the date the change was made..
TimT
BTW Im just talking about updating early 911 to late 911 struts. I know nuttin about 914 to early or late 911 swaps..
sj914
Thanks TimT, Well I thought when you swap the 4 lug to 5 bolt, your pretty much changing out to a 911 suspension. The reason I asked about the hubs was I saw these and I might want to use them in A TRG coilover setup.
TimT
ok if your using RSR struts, you can use early hubs provided you use the later hardware.. but you have to open up the dust cover area a bit to clear the larger locking nuts....

I have a lathe so getting it all to work wasnt a prob for me...
sj914
but you  have to open up the dust cover area a bit to clear the larger  locking nuts....

Do you also have to make it deeper to get the lock nut down further?
TimT
nope
TimT
these are just some things to watch out for when making a salad of different model year parts LOL beer.gif
sj914
Oh I like making salads, especially making parts fit when they don't. hence shoe horning the v8 thats sitting on my garage floor. beerchug.gif
914Timo
Then there is old 911 T hubs. They are used with solid rotors. They are narrower. Hubs for vented rotors are about 15mm wider.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.