Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What've you carried in your 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ptravnic
So I've carried bikes & surfboards via a bike rack but this most recent gig was pushing things...

I did have some hesitations as I turned onto the Bronx River Pkwy... but @ 35mph I made it back from the burbs to my apartment w/everything in one piece. Getting it up 5 flights of stairs to the roof was another story...complete disassembly was needed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
nomore9one4
av-943.gif Nice wing!
Demick
Should have mounted it to the rear trunklid. I'm sure someone would have though it was your idea of a spoiler. Maybe even got your picture onto beaterz.com

I once transported a 12 foot tree in my 914. Pot sitting on the pass seat and sticking right out the roof. Wind resistance at about 20mph was incredible.

So.Cal.914
And I thought a wheelbarrel was pushing it. Couldn't you get the pool table on there

also or is that in the trunk.
Howard
QUOTE(boboli914@att.net @ Jul 24 2006, 09:21 AM) *

av-943.gif Nice wing!

agree.gif Love the sprint car look. I carried a grudge in my 914 once.
Rand
laugh.gif
Hauled some lumber when the rear window was out.
Aaron Cox
I have hauled ass before tongue.gif

Prelude to following smartass remarks - going fast
TROJANMAN
i hauled a picnic table once......

and jimmy hoffa, but that's another story tongue.gif
tdgray
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 24 2006, 01:09 PM) *

I have hauled ass before tongue.gif

Must...resist...smartass...comment...must resist... gayfight.gif
horizontally-opposed
Widescreen TV that weighed 150-200 pounds...picked up from BestBuy in the city.

Should have seen the guy's face after I asked him to hold onto the TV while I went and got my other car because it wouldn't fit in my daily.

When I showed up with the 914 -- an even smaller car -- he looked at me like I was the world's biggest idiot. alfred.gif

Then I opened the rear trunk, put the TV in there with a buddy, tied the trunk down to prevent it from swinging, and drove away. bootyshake.gif

That flat rear floor can haul some seriously large items.

I can see why Troutman turned the 914 into a pickup... beerchug.gif

pete
Dave_Darling
Nine-foot tall fake tree. Seven-foot tall climbing ivy (with support poles). Six-foot tall step-ladder. The first two were with my GF; the plant sat on the passenger floorboard and she held onto it. Had to go very slowly with the real plant so we didn't tear all the leaves off it.

The ladder was on multiple occasions. Once I drove in to work (notionally a "secure facility") and the guards didn't say a word... I posted a pic on this BBS about it. I think it was about two years ago?

Only one person reacted each time we drove the plants around, too. We're too damn blase in this area I guess!!

--DD
bd1308
I've hauled an almost complete 1.8L 914 engine in the front trunk. I got it from Dayton, OH and it actually fit better than I had thought it would.

Drove fine too.

b
bondo
My best was a lawn mower.. wheeled part in the front trunk, handle in the rear. Everything closed fine. You're not REALLY hauling something IN a 914 if it's sticking out all over. smile.gif
Gradskater
My road bike. Frame in the rear trunk and the wheels in the passenger footwell. Oh, and lots of laundry every couple of weeks.
KELTY360
QUOTE(bondo @ Jul 24 2006, 10:51 AM) *

My best was a lawn mower.. wheeled part in the front trunk, handle in the rear. Everything closed fine. You're not REALLY hauling something IN a 914 if it's sticking out all over. smile.gif

agree.gif At least most of the time that's true. Sometimes you have to make an exception.

Like this.

URY914
Had four people in mine once.
smontanaro
I've never carried anything especially large in a 914, but I once drove from Iowa City to Indicanapolis for the then annual Tweeks swap meet carrying the front clip from a '53 coupe in my '55 Speedster. Top down of course. biggrin.gif

Skip
BMXerror
OH GREAT! Next thing you know all the ricers are going to be running around with pingpong tables on their cars for downforce!
Mark D.
ptravnic
I should have said "with" instead of "in".

I like the kayak - wish I had pics of my 9'6" longboard I had up there last year.

I carried a leather pottery barn style chair and ottoman once from the UPS station to my place - it came in a few boxes so it sorta worked like the TV mentioned above.

I did feel like the Beverly Hillbillies yday. Then I felt a lil unsafe as I took a wrong turn and drove a couple miles down Bruckner Blvd (Bonfire of the Vanities anyone?) on the way back into Manhattan... People just kinda looked and giggled - even in the "unsafe" areas of the Bronx & Harlem.

seanery
I hauled a 16' rowboat once...I've pics somewhere....
Crazyhippy
Kayak's and surfboards dont count unless the top is off too....

then you get bonus points.

carried a 20' stick of base (maybe it was crown) molding on my 914. Had it set across the roof, bungied @ the front and back and the GF holding it in the middle.... Right down the center, no roof biggrin.gif

BJH
Lou W
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 24 2006, 10:43 AM) *

Nine-foot tall fake tree. Seven-foot tall climbing ivy (with support poles). Six-foot tall step-ladder. The first two were with my GF; the plant sat on the passenger floorboard and she held onto it. Had to go very slowly with the real plant so we didn't tear all the leaves off it.

The ladder was on multiple occasions. Once I drove in to work (notionally a "secure facility") and the guards didn't say a word... I posted a pic on this BBS about it. I think it was about two years ago?

Only one person reacted each time we drove the plants around, too. We're too damn blase in this area I guess!!

--DD

I remember that picture. smile.gif
Midtowner
My buddy once hauled 75 sixteen ounce drinks and sandwiches from Subway's in the front of his 1.7 without the trunk lid on the highway. You should have seen the other drivers laughing while the soda lids were flying off left and right and getting the sandwiches soaking wet. laugh.gif
merrill
I have had all kinds of funny cramming stories. I once carried 4 other people. On multiple occasions I had 8-10 snowboards buckled in the passenger seat with my mountain bike in the rear trunk and my luggage in the front trunk.
914rrr
A 914 front hood fits quite nicely behind the seats of a teener with the roof off.

When I was moving from my house to my aunts place as temp lodging, I did have a set of luggage (3 suitcases and a duffle bag), 2 garment bags, and various other stuff in my 73 2.0.
crash914
6' tall step ladder, inside, with the top on. There is lots of room in the passenger side...

of course, lots of wheels, tools, etc...
ptravnic
surprised no smart arses have said

"jack stands"

chairfall.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Jul 24 2006, 01:44 PM) *

"jack stands"

I thought the point was to list unusual things you have carried, not stuff that goes everywhere with the car.... wink.gif

--DD
flesburg
My wife bought a 10' live tree. We could not get it in anything we owned, so I took the top off and one of the boys sat in the pass. seat and held on. The burlap wrapped dirt ball was on the floor and at 20mph we did not loose too many leaves. I wish I had a picture to share.

We got a lot of attention on the way home.
root
a 120lb. LAB!
dflesburg
girls of questionable virtue!
teenerted1
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jul 24 2006, 07:36 PM) *

Qarl
Two guys and two entire scuba setups.

2 scuba tanks fit nicely in the rear trunk.

All the rest of the gear and crap fit in the front and (a little in tbe back).

Targa top still stays off.

The nickname of my 914 in highschool was Scuby!

Ha!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jul 24 2006, 07:36 PM) *

A friend of mine was a cheerleader in HS. One of the other girls on the squad had a 914. There were evidently several occasions when they had six girls riding the 914--the driver, one in the passenger's seat, one on the "middle seat", and three across the Targa bar.

I already asked--she doesn't have any pictures of it... sad.gif

--DD
rwjames
Back when I had my Ravenna Green 73 2.0 with big twin carb setup and racing slicks, I hauled ass. That car was the ex-Jim Gray 1976 SCCA C-class champion and he had it setup to haul.

What I would give to have that car back. Beautiful, fast and fun!
Brett W
I hauled a 12ft long Yellow sea kayak on my car. It looked like a big yellow banana laying on some peice of abstract art. Wish I had a couple of pictures.
JPB
Not carried but more like housed. I took a nice black widow and her nest off it's tarp yesterday and just killed a brown recluse in the trunk today. All I need is a black snake in the engine compartment and I'd have a grand slam!!

beer.gif Not alcohol induced I'm affraid.
Brian_Boss
Many years ago when I moved back to Dallas from CA, I carried all my worldly possessions in my 914. Literally everything I owned at the time, including an LE front spoiler that I had not yet installed which had to go diagonally across the cabin. This aroused the curiosity of the folks at the border checkpoint outside El Paso.
T wing
I had a 4x10 bass guitar combo amp that I used to haul around all the time. I actually took it with me to look at my first 914 and told the guy if it wouldn't fit then I wouldn't buy it. It fit. . . couldn't ever take anyone to see me play though.
dlo914
Actually, today i stuffed a BMX bike into the passenger seat area. Part of the handle bars stuck out the rolled down window. The reason why was b/c i had to take the 14' to the shop and i had no ride back. So i took the bike w/ me and ran some errands around town w/ the bike. smile.gif
effutuo101
I have put in a complete (disassembled) Gas webber grill, Crab traps/pots and fishing stuff. Great picnic.
Jenny
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Jul 27 2006, 10:25 PM) *

Actually, today i stuffed a BMX bike into the passenger seat area. Part of the handle bars stuck out the rolled down window. The reason why was b/c i had to take the 14' to the shop and i had no ride back. So i took the bike w/ me and ran some errands around town w/ the bike. smile.gif

Good for you Daniel!! Most people just whine and bitch until they get a ride from someone else. I don't think I've been on a bicycle since maybe high school.

Jen
72914S
Many years ago when Coors beer wasn`t sold in the east we made a beer run to Co.(New Years eve)and brought back 12 cases.Aluminum cans look funny all frozen. beerchug.gif driving.gif
tod914
The Linberg baby.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Jul 27 2006, 10:25 PM) *

Actually, today i stuffed a BMX bike into the passenger seat area.

Oh, that reminds me! My Attorney and I took her old bicycle to Goodwill in my car. She was pretty much holding it on her lap, with the front wheel sticking out the top...

--DD
Rick_Eberle
Enough pieces of Ikea's "IVAR" shelving to make a unit 15' wide. (I had to make a second trip back for the corner shelves, though.)Click to view attachment

And, for about two years, a complete mobile glamour photo studio, incuding wardrobe, for shooting beauty school graduates all over the Southwest USA, and dancing girls in Las Vegas and Phoenix.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.