Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Copper fuel lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WildBill
The PO ran copper fuel lines, I know most people use SS but do I need to replace the copper? Will it do anything bad? Thanks
So.Cal.914
I've seen copper used on some bikes and hot rods, haven't heard anything so far.
bd1308
Well, on the subject of Copper.

Copper actually work hardens, meaning over time, the flexing and/or bending of the copper lines actually causes voids in the molecular lattice of the structure of copper. Over time, these voids actually move down the lattice of the pipe and these voids actually collect and grow, eventually causing a crack.

This can be aleviated by quenching the copper after a period of time (opposite of ferrous metals) but in this usage for copper piping, it isnt really applicable nor anything that is easily done.

I would suggest HEAVILY anchoring that line firmly to the firewall to prevent flexing but I wouldnt see why, under these precautions and with firm anchoring, why it wouldnt work.

b
gregrobbins
The local air cooled shop that does a lot of work for me has been doing copper conversions on fule lines for 20+ years and claim to never have encountered a problem.

Still, I picked up a set of stainless steel lines from Racer Chris when he was offering them for sale last spring.
lapuwali
It's also common to see copper-plated steel used for brake lines (the British guys do a lot of this), and said brake line is sometimes used for fuel lines.
WildBill
Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I will just anchor it good and leave it for now.

It has been 16 years and it looks like new so I think it will be OK. I will replace it next time I pull the engine, hopefully that will be for a six or subie install.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.