Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driving Sports magazine project car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Blake
Hey all,

I'm a contributing editor of Driving Sports magazine, which is a relatively new, nationally distributed automotive publication. I am also a long-time Rotary Engine fanatic and run a web site called Rotary Engine Illustrated. Anyway, in looking for an interesting project car, I came across a Porsche 914 lacking an engine and transmission and basically left for dead. $100 cash. Seemed ideal for a conversion project, so that is what I am doing. Can't get into the details, but it will be pretty extreme. Look for the debut/intro in the March issue. I'll probably be hanging out here a bit and asking some newbie questions in the mean time. Also, does anyone have links to existing rotary engine 914 conversions? BTW, I am aware of the Kennedy adapters, but will probably do something custom. Thanks.
Coal
http://web2.airmail.net/atl/Rotary.html

I'm in the same boat as you, but saving and starting the project in spring. I'll get together a large sum and do as much as possible at once.

I'm probably going to use a 13B-T from a TII, since it's the cheapest option, I can get a jspec with tranny and all parts for $900 US and sell the tranny. I'm aiming for a wild setup as well, but will probably just try to get it well rounded and BPU+ in spring, and then keep upgrading from there.

Unfortunately I'm not a 914 purist, and with the power I want to run, room for huge rubber out back is important. I've been looking at this rebody, but without the hood or wing:
http://www.kw-enterprises.com/fzero.html

I've done a quick chop more true to how I'll have it:
http://www.masterydesign.com/crap/F-Zero_mod.jpg

Anyhow, hello everyone, I'm another 914 n00b with a similar project smile.gif
TimT
Interesting
LS6/914
Blake, this sounds interesting. I've done a Lotus 7 with a 86 13B & weber. Ultralight & flies. Maybe you have seen it at bremerton? Very interesting.....
Blake
Well, as long as we are sharing body kit ideas, here is what I was thinking of:

IPB Image

Basically, I'd like to make it look like a car Porsche could have built; sort a 914 meets 911 thing. We'll see....
Jeroen
Before you start collecting expensive conversion parts, check the chassis for rust biggrin.gif

Keep us posted!

cheers,

Jeroen
Coal
Oh, thought I'd share a page I found with various body mods and kits:
http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/Wild.htm

If I were to keep to the original body, I think just getting rid of the part that comes up behind your head and putting in a hoop behind each seat would make the car look much better. There are some great examples of cars with that part that look great, but I'd prefer it without, it makes the lines much cleaner.
Bleyseng
I see you are in Seattle , Blair or I could look at it to see if it needs rust repairs.
Blair drives a Turbo 2 with 300hp and is on the RX7.com BBS

Geoff
TeamAxisRacing
yeah id check your car out give you some pointers. My suggestion for a power plant is the 13b-re motor form japanese only cosmo's. A very very stout motor with plenty of power potential and a awsome looking intake manifold. Maybe if im still aorund the seattle area and you finish your car ill race you in my turbo2 and see if you can hang laugh.gif
Blake
Thanks for the offer of help, but I'm not a project car newbie; just a 914 newbie. smile.gif This was my last project:

IPB Image

The car will be worked on at Racetech Fabrication in Portland, where I do all my fab work. Engine will be done at Pineapple Racing and I have a VW/Porsche transmission guy to build the tranny. I'm going to SEMA in a few weeks and will probably line up all the other vendors at that time, as well as solidify the plans.
seanery
is that a RAAM car?
TeamAxisRacing
ahh i know you then, we met at pineapple last year going down to SS5 i believe. i was wondering if that was you after i posted.
URY914
Show us a picture of the trailer.

Paul
Part Pricer
Looks like a good use of an RX-7. wink.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image
Blake
Haven't updated that site since my 8,000 mile trip, earlier in the year. Here are some (slightly) newer photos:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

BTW, an interesting thing about the trailer is that is retains the stock fuel tank and fuel pump and there is a dry-break connection for the fuel line to the car. I have it wired so that, by switching the defroster switch, the trailer fuel tank refills the fuel cell in the car. This gave me 30 gallons on-board capacity for the long trip to Florida and back, minimizing stops. The defroster light comes on when pumping and the symbol seems appropriate for the repurposed task. Also, the stock RX-7 hood almost perfectly fit the front of the trailer after cutting the car in half. Freakishly close. Same width, same hight, same compound curve at the top. The only cutting I had to do was to trim the hood where it met the b-pillar and knock a couple spots off at the bottom.
Mueller
looks neat, but how is the aerodynamic drag from that flat front end of the trailer, granted that once you mount the tires on the rack that changes things...........

Are there laws for the refueling while in transit? Just wondering???

BTW, I am aware of the Kennedy adapters, but will probably do something custom.

I'd consider the adapter from Kennedy "custom" smile.gif

Since there are no real kits (unless you went the route with RedDawg, but I'm not too sure they are still in business, besides, thier business op is "different") you'll have plenty items to fab to make the install custom, LOL
Blake
looks neat, but how is the aerodynamic drag from that flat front end of the trailer, granted that once you mount the tires on the rack that changes things...........

Are there laws for the refueling while in transit? Just wondering???

Drag was not too bad. I got 15 mpg in the West and about 17 mpg in the East (flatter). Without the trailer I get about 19.5 mpg. Keep in mind that this is a 300hp non-turbo 1.3L peripheral ported 13B, so those mileage numbers are great. Also considering that I was running 4.88 gears, it was quite unexpected. Part of the good economy was simply because with the extra fuel capacity, I didn't have to stop so often for gas, so I spent relatively more time cruising in 5th and not so much time stopping and starting over and over.

As for the legality....um, don't ask don't tell. smile.gif I did have a dry-break that would have disconnected if the trailer broke free, so I didn't think it was such a big deal in the event of getting pulled over and questioned on it. My biggest concern in that respect was the HUGE afterburn (backfire) that occurs 1-3 seconds after shutting off the car, which sounds remarkably like a shotgun blast. If I got pulled over, I fully expected return fire! smile.gif Interesingly, I never got pulled over in my 105dB race car pulling a trailer without plates (optional for light trailers in Oregon). I was followed a couple times, but I guess they determined I was no threat....or, they just couldn't figure out how to process all the paperwork without cutting into their donut break. Go figure. rolleyes.gif

BTW, I am aware of the Kennedy adapters, but will probably do something custom.

I'd consider the adapter from Kennedy "custom"

Since there are no real kits (unless you went the route with RedDawg, but I'm not too sure they are still in business, besides, thier business op is "different") you'll have plenty items to fab to make the install custom, LOL

Yes, you have a point, although there is something of a 'kit' for rotaries (kinda-sorta). But, I mean custom like...custom cast bell housing, which would permit the use of an RX-7 flywheel, clutch and starter. My tranny guy does this sort of thing all the time for sand rails, and he might be able to market them to rotary guys wanting to do VW/Porsche conversions without all the hassles. Just a thought. May or may not happen. We could also simply fabricate our own adapter, as he has his own machine shop. Time will tell.
aufaber
My only suggestion (well, not only) is to not buy the 100 dollar car. It'll have rust.. crazy rust.. even if it doesn't look like it. Go grab one from California where we can't give away rust free cassis and cut them up. Well.. sometime we can give tehm away.. but we cut them up a lot too.

-Aaron G.
Blake
Actually, it is a California car, LOL! Most of my project cars come from down there. I always get them after they get transported up and then sit in a field for a year -- just long enough to get lots of surface rust with no structural issues. smile.gif I've got pictures of the whole underside and so forth (including battery box area) and it's really not that bad comparred to other projects I have done. The RX-7 trailer was made from an unsalvagable rust bucket, for example. Some large areas were like rice paper, as water sat in it for many years. I was lucky to save as much as I did!

Also, I lied. I paid nothing for the car; a vendor donated it. He paid $100, but it was a very good deal nonetheless. If it won't work, I've got another lined up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.