Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - tell me more about this sign
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
could anybody please tell me what's the story to this sign?
is this a route 914 - just like the rout 66?
if so, where is it?
could you show me on a map?

if not - what else?

wavey.gif Gustl
highways
OH NO!!! BACK SATAN!!! Devil be gone!!
happy11.gif

That is the dreaded sign from the road to the seaside town of Ferrious Oxide. It marks the dead end road which 914's can't escape from, even with a quick u-turn, once they have been plagged by a lifetime of leaky rubber seals, screwy PO repairs, and jack stand rejectment. Rumor has it that 914's instantly turn into a pile of rust at that intersection, and blow away in the wind.
VegasRacer
The sign it from Pennsylvania.
Allan
Looks like just a rural road somewhere in Pennsylvania. I don't think it has any similarity with route 66.

Here's where it ends at the other end.

lapuwali
There are probably several Route 914s in the US. That sign is probably in Pennsylvania, which is also known as the Keystone State. That shape around the number is their version of the keystone.

In the US, there are US Interstate Highways (blue shield with red top, white numbers), which are usually called things like I-40, I-15, etc. These are multi-lane expressways much like French Autoroutes or Italian Autostrada. They aren't (generally) toll roads, unlike French Autoroutes or Italian Autostrada. More like British motorways.

Below that, there are US highways, usually green shields with white numbers, called US49, for example. These are both Federally-funded highways. Route 66 is a US highway. It used to run from Los Angeles to Chicago. Much of it has been replaced by I-44 and other Interstates.

Each state then has a set of highways, the signs for which vary from state to state. PA914 would be the road in that sign. CA1 is the famous California Hwy 1, aka the Pacific Coast Highway. The numbers are re-used. There's also a Hwy 1 in Florida, which runs from Key West to Miami. These roads are funded by the state, and are equivalent to French National Routes or British A roads.

Each county has their own roads they pay for. California generally names these (Mosquito Ridge Rd., King's Bridge Rd.). Missouri uses single and double lettering to denote county roads, like Hwy D, or Hwy P. Roughly the same as British B roads.
wilchek
http://www.state-ends.com/paends/state/914.html

Franklin County
ET JCT PA 316 S of New Franklin
Begin/End SR 0914
I I-81 Exit 10[4]
Begin/End SR 0914
WT JCT US 11 Marion
Franklin County

NEAR CHAMBERBURG PENNSYLVANIA IN FRANKLIN COUNTY

Go to map quest and type in the zip code 17201, zoom out to city level (4th from top) Look at the bottom on the map and you will see route 914 (lower central Pennsylvania on the Maryland border).
GWN7
Now that it's been located, all the route signs will now start showing up on Ebay wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 24 2006, 02:17 PM) *

That shape around the number is their version of the keystone.

looks more like a 914 front hood to me ...

cool_shades.gif Andy
Howard
Wanna see something really scary? CIA map 66.

Gustl
many thanks for all explanations pray.gif thumb3d.gif pray.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.