Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: weight of 3.2 and 3.6 motors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
goodporsche
I saw the weight listed for the four cylinder motor and the 901 and 915 trans., anyone out there know the weight of the 3.2 and 3.6 liter motors without A/C. I will be putting a 3.2 or 3.6 motor in my 914 ( just starting a complete restoration ) and I'm curious how much additional weight I will be adding with the Six cylinder motor and 915 trans.

Thanks
Al Good
lapuwali
These are the best estimates I've seen, all engines "fully dressed" (ready to run, except exhausts):

Type IV: 275lbs
Mg-cased Sixes: 350-375lbs
Al-cased Sixes: 400-450lbs (not counting the really early 2.0 Sixes here)
3.6: 475-500lbs.

901 transaxle: 75lbs
915 transaxle: 125lbs
horizontally-opposed
Then there's the oil tank, lines, oil, filter and front oil cooler, lines, and oil.

Sixes sure do add a lot of weight... idea.gif

Type IV, Six, Type IV, Six, Type IV Six....

Decisions, decisions. Good thing I don't have any money. biggrin.gif

pete
brant
Those numbers from James are very close to what I've seen and observed after watching this discussed endlessly on the bird board.

I figure that converting to a -6 is a minimum 150 for the motor.
if your doing a tranny and then adding the oil tank, it would be really easy for your car to pick up 250lbs.

Most -6's come out over 2000 minimum... and many are over 2300.

I figure we shed around 500lbs when we built our race car just to loose much of that work when the -6 went in.

brant
lapuwali
Actually, I'm hoping to add no more than 100-150lbs total to my -6 conversion. The engine (a 2.7, so Mg-cased) is roughly 75-100lbs more, and the tank, lines, and the extra 6 quarts of oil should add another 50 over the T4. The mount (Maddog's clone of the RJ mount) will weigh substantially less than the shift-shifter cast iron bar; and the Bursch -6 headers are lighter than the stock -4 HEs, so that's some weight dropped. Since I've already dropped the early -4 car to under 1900lbs, I'm hoping for a 2000lb -6.
brant
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 25 2006, 08:54 AM) *

Actually, I'm hoping to add no more than 100-150lbs total to my -6 conversion. The engine (a 2.7, so Mg-cased) is roughly 75-100lbs more, and the tank, lines, and the extra 6 quarts of oil should add another 50 over the T4. The mount (Maddog's clone of the RJ mount) will weigh substantially less than the shift-shifter cast iron bar; and the Bursch -6 headers are lighter than the stock -4 HEs, so that's some weight dropped. Since I've already dropped the early -4 car to under 1900lbs, I'm hoping for a 2000lb -6.

its doable.
and I'll bet you do it!
but it takes someone like you that is paying attention to detail and conscious of the challenge.

many -6 race cars come out heavy until they cut away all of the chassis and go with the semi-tube frame approach.

but with attention to detail its very doable.
I think JP is weighing in at 1840lbs or something near that.

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.