Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 conversion.. what's it worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Racer
I am sure someone will say "this thread is useless without pics" and I understand but I have none to share. However. I am faced with the opportunity to buy a 914 I have wanted for a long time.

Current owner bought the car in 1993. A '74 2.0L 34,000 miles. After 13 years of ownership, the car now has 55,000 miles and has been converted to a 6, and looks like a 914 GT

It has gone from a meticulously maintained 4-cyl to it current specs, as outlined below (still meticulously maintained):

3.2L Euro Carrera motor. professionally rebuilt ( in 2000 by shops in the north east) Chipped. 228rwhp Headers, K&N filter. Otherwise stock. 914-6 oil tank.

901 trans with ltd slip. Rebuilt gearbox in 2003. A,F,N,T and y gears. Transmission has an electric gear oil pump and remote 944T oil cooler. Short shift kit

930 calipers all around (VCI) Fronts are slotted floating rotors. 12.0X1.25 23 mm master cylinder. All new pads, rotors and bearings in 2005

Suspension: 19mm front sway (adj). 914 stock rear sway. 21mm front torsion bars. 140lb rear springs. Solid bushings up front. Bilstein struts and shocks. Cornerbalanced. Lowered. Frt and rear custom Monoballs.

OEM Steel 914-6GT flares welded to steel fenders

Custom welded roll cage with suspension pick up points and side bars. Add'l welded tube reinforcements for rear trailing arm mounts

Custom Fuelsafe fuell cell fabricated inside stock 914 tank

Modified battery box to hold lightweight 12V tractor battery

Wilwood adj brake bias valve

Turbo tie rods

8x15 front and 9x16 rears

Fiberglass GT bumpers, rocker panels and rear spoiler

Carbon fiber trunk lids

OMP seats with new 5pt harneses

Silver paint. Black int. Exterior paint looks great. Small "line" near one of the flares (weld line is visable). Eng Compartment paint is original (and "dirty" in comparison, but by no means a mess.)

Strong battery box and longitudinals.

Still street legal (lights, exhaust etc.. no emmissions - "antique" tags!)

$30K? $20K? More? less?

Appreciate the feedback!

anthony
It's hard to say without pics. If everything done to the car is top grade then I'd say around $25K. It really depends on so many things. Start with a $15K offer and see how it sits with the seller. It sounds like a car that could easily cost $35-40K to build.
JoeSharp
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
turboman808
I could see that going for 30k. More with a different tranny. If the owner held out they could find someone to take it for 35 I would imagine. If they are desparate to sell I've seen some real nice cars on here sell for less then half there value.
anthony
Porsche Doc has a 3.2L conversion in the classifieds for $28K. He also has a 3L conversion on Pelican's classifieds (maybe here too) for $20K. You might check those ads as a basis for comparison.

Usually these big buck conversions sell for a bit less than they cost to build. It's hard to sell a $25K+ 914.
Racer
QUOTE(anthony @ Jul 24 2006, 05:13 PM) *

Porsche Doc has a 3.2L conversion in the classifieds for $28K. He also has a 3L conversion on Pelican's classifieds (maybe here too) for $20K. You might check those ads as a basis for comparison.

Usually these big buck conversions sell for a bit less than they cost to build. It's hard to sell a $25K+ 914.

I've seen both of these for sale. Seems like "forever". Even saw them on EBAY last week. Reserve wasn't met.

I know there are a lot of variables. I know both the owner and the shops that did the work. I used the same shops for my 914 work. Both are top notch. I don't see where the owner "cur corners" either. I appreciate the feedback and welcome more!

VegasRacer
I have read a lot of 'For Sale' ads and looked at a lot of 914's over the years.
Sometimes the car in the driveway even matches the sales pitch.
Cars that go with your post could be valued between 10K to 50K.
It also depends a lot on how quick the owner wants to get rid of it.
If everything is as nice as you make it sound and the owner had a quality Porsche shop do the conversion work, the best he can expect is to get about 50 cents on the dollar back.

Ferg's white car sold for 30K.

QUOTE(Racer @ Jul 24 2006, 05:35 PM) *
I am faced with the opportunity to buy a 914 I have wanted for a long time.

I think you already have the answer to your own question.
If you know the car, like it and want it . . . . Buy It!
Will you ever have a second chance?
If it is a good car - make the best deal you can with the seller. driving.gif
Drive it! Enjoy it!
JoeSharp
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jul 25 2006, 03:11 AM) *

I have read a lot of 'For Sale' ads and looked at a lot of 914's over the years.
Sometimes the car in the driveway even matches the sales pitch.
Cars that go with your post could be valued between 10K to 50K.
It also depends a lot on how quick the owner wants to get rid of it.
If everything is as nice as you make it sound and the owner had a quality Porsche shop do the conversion work, the best he can expect is to get about 50 cents on the dollar back.

Ferg's white car sold for 30K.

QUOTE(Racer @ Jul 24 2006, 05:35 PM) *
I am faced with the opportunity to buy a 914 I have wanted for a long time.

I think you already have the answer to your own question.
If you know the car, like it and want it . . . . Buy It!
Will you ever have a second chance?
If it is a good car - make the best deal you can with the seller. driving.gif
Drive it! Enjoy it!

I gotta agree with John. I saw 3 teeners that I really liked and they went to other buyers. When Beauth went up on the market I made an offer to the owner with in an hour. Paid to much and I still can't wipe the grin off my face. Love the car.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
tat2dphreak
by sounds alone, I'd guess 20k
Cap'n Krusty
When all the discussion is done, and all the dust settled, ANY car (and ANY thing), is worth what the seller can get for it. No more, no less. This is ESPECIALLY true of conversion cars. With the right buyer, at the right time, the car may be worth a lot more than if "Mr. Rightbuyer" never sees or hears of the car. How much are YOU willing to pay for it? How much CAN you pay for it? THAT'S what counts, and that's what it's worth to you. The Cap'n
Root_Werks
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jul 25 2006, 06:43 AM) *

by sounds alone, I'd guess 20k

agree.gif

Give or take a little.
Racer
Thanks for the advice.

Emotionally I want the car (need the car?!). I've always wanted the car. In place of putting a 6 in my own 914, I bought a 911.. then dumped money into it to make it handle. And it handles Very Well. That said, I've turned it into too much of a track car. I hardly ever use it except for DE and Autocross.

The primary motivator for selling my 911 is to get back to a "fun" car I can use any day if I want. Drive to work in the winter (with heat) or the summer (with AC). To enjoy a top down sunday drive as well as the less frequent DE/AX event (somehow my family keeps growing and days at the track keep dwindling!).

I know I want this 914. But I'll never use it as it should be used. Nor, am I likely to maintain it (appearance wise) as well as the current owner.

I think I am talking myself out of another 914 and into a Boxster.

Emotion and reality clashing hard on this one smile.gif
anthony
I'm curious why you guys think Porsche Doc's blue 3.2 hasn't sold yet. For me it's almost the exact hot rod 914 I'd like to build some day.

Parts and paint alone would cost over the $25K Buy it Now price. To duplicate a car like this, one would either need to put in hundreds of hours of their own labor or add in another $5000-10000 for shop labor. Has it not sold because it isn't a real six?

pete-stevers
this is always such a subjective and speculative question....
if the car is a mint car completely sorted....
25 is a fair price.....
i am sure i have spent more on my car.....but who is counting?
i would make a bet i would be lucky to see 20 from mine....
but daily driver?
do you enjoy gettting down and dirty......
Racer
QUOTE(anthony @ Jul 25 2006, 12:23 PM) *

I'm curious why you guys think Porsche Doc's blue 3.2 hasn't sold yet. For me it's almost the exact hot rod 914 I'd like to build some day.

Parts and paint alone would cost over the $25K Buy it Now price. To duplicate a car like this, one would either need to put in hundreds of hours of their own labor or add in another $5000-10000 for shop labor. Has it not sold because it isn't a real six?

I think its several reasons. One, its not a real six . 2, its been modified to appeal to a limited audience. 3) the guys who really wants a car like that can't afford them or enjoy doing the modifications themselves.

So the hard part is finding someone who really wants a car modded like that AND has 20K or more lying around. I think many still view the 914 as "cheap" and "old". For 25K you can get a nice 964 with both AC and Heat (and ABS, Airbags and a host of "modern features").
VegasRacer
Racer - it sounds to me like a Boxster would suit you best.
(Be sure to get the S. It is worth the extra $'s.)
Racer
Actually, I'm not sure about the Boxster. Everytime I get interested I get reminded of the engine horror stories, coolant tank problems, RMS issues, "chick car" status, blah blah. Maybe a 964 (still aircooled and built to last!)

If anyone is interested in the originally mentioned 914 "GT" I will pass along contact info for you. PM me. I think serious inquiries only would be best.
smdubovsky
Racer,
Id guess $20k (thought it has some nice bits). At the end of the day, its a conversion. Like it or not, its going to hurt its value in alot of peoples eyes. You can buy real -6s w/ hotrodded motors & bits in the mid-20s. Just like the 'porsche doc' conversions on pelican/ebay, its hard to sell a $25k+ 914 (esp a conversion - no matter how nice it is).

On the boxster front: $25k will get you into a nice box-S. Forget what everyone tells you about "chick car", etc. Go DRIVE one. You will have your answer right then and there. BTW, It will simply kick a 964s butt at the track and in comfort on the street. W/ PSM and snow tires its a "four season" porsche.

SMD
turboman808
QUOTE(anthony @ Jul 25 2006, 12:23 PM) *

I was curious about that car and could have bought it. I did like the looks of it for sure. Simple answer for me was it didn't look like it was really setup for being abused. I wanted something I was confident I could just go out and beat the snot out of it. So I bought Daves car instead.

I really wanted that silver car from Excelence up at camp914 but man they just wanted so much for it. Did they ever get 45k for it. But that is without a doubt the most beautiful 914 ever.
Steve
I would also have to say 20k. I sold mine for 16k. It came with the steel flairs in a box. It cost the buyer another 4k to have the flairs mounted and get the car painted. Everything was new on my car except for the Euro 3.2 motor.
Mine also had real 914-6 heat exchangers, 914-6 rear calipers and 944 turbo front calipers. It also had all new suspension, bilstein HD shocks, spare trans, MAF and boxes of spare parts.
If everything was new on this car or rebuilt I would say low 20's. If it had a 916 with a wevo kit it might be worth $25k. If it was a real six I would also add another 3-5k depending on condition.

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.