Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can I take Ibuprofen with Nyquil?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
I'm totally feeling like ass, pains everywhere...can I take Ibuprofen with Nyquil?
TROJANMAN
yes, but nyquil tastes like ass. you should just take a shot of whiskey. it's the same thing

and you can even take tylenol in between ibuprofin doses (if nyquil doesn't contain acetamitaphin)
drewvw

you can mix them but I wouldn't do it often, not very good for mr. liver....
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(drewvw @ Jul 24 2006, 07:55 PM) *

you can mix them but I wouldn't do it often, not very good for mr. liver....

acetamitiphin (tylenol) is bad for the liver, ibuprofin just gives you ulcers (in large doses) biggrin.gif
seanery
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Jul 24 2006, 11:54 PM) *

yes, but nyquil tastes like ass.

Gelcaps smile.gif
TROJANMAN
then make sure you compare the active ingredients with whatever drug you want to mix it with. I thought you were talking about the good old fashioned booze nyquil.

can you tell i've been sick before? Kids...............
dakotaewing
If you are looking for stuff to help you sleep - take 2 tylenol PM and go to bed - they are good for about 10 hours, but you will be groggy for an hour or 2 in the morning - and drink LOTS of water so you dont get dehydrated...

It is what I used to do after I needed to get my body clock back on schedule after working 21 hours a day in the far east for 6 weeks at a time.... I would come home and couldn't sleep until I did this...
turboman808
Dam I have seen people smoke a joint, do a couple of lines and pop some E. They seemed to do fine and even looked rather happy.

And your worried about asprin and cough medicine.

Live on the edge and triple your dose HAHA
eeyore
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Jul 24 2006, 08:58 PM) *

ibuprofin just gives you ulcers (in large doses) biggrin.gif

Guess what I got for my 30th birthday? An ulcer. I blame Nyquil and Ibuprofin.
Dr Evil
Tylenol doesnt play well with most things that also get clearanced by the cytochrome P450 in the liver. Ibuprofen is pretty benign stuff and works via a different mechanism in the body than acetominofin. Take in moderation and stay alert to counter indications like with any drugs.
Force fluids and electrolytes!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 25 2006, 07:28 AM) *

Tylenol doesnt play well with most things that also get clearanced by the cytochrome P450 in the liver. Ibuprofen is pretty benign stuff and works via a different mechanism in the body than acetominofin. Take in moderation and stay alert to counter indications like with any drugs.
Force fluids and electrolytes!

Yup! The tylenol is a prostaglandin (precursor to mucous) inhibitor in the central nervous system only, while the ibuprofen is a prostaglandin inhibitor in the body. So the ibuprofen can cause stomach upset by inhibiting prostaglandin and decreasing mucous production while the tylenol can't. BUT! Tylenol is one bad bitch in the liver. The lethal dose is not that large. 30 tabs if I recall correctly.
So the serious no shit answer to your question is check the label on the Nyquil to make sure you are not taking a double shot of the tylenol.
Much of the yucky feeling when you are sick like this has to do with fluid and electrolyte imbalance. Do as the evil doctor has prescribed. Drink something like gatoraid until you are up to the bathroom every hour. You will feel better, perhaps 80% of your normal.
SharonG
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 25 2006, 08:28 AM) *
Ibuprofen is pretty benign stuff...

I was told (by a nurse) to take ibuprofen with a lot of water since it's hard on the kidneys... is this not true? confused24.gif
DNHunt
I hate cytochrome P-450. There is so much going on there it is impossible to get around. Just have to look stuff up. It's like torque specs (only for all Porsche models combined), I just don't use them enough to memorize them.

Long term use of Ibuprofen is hard on the kidneys. Take it with plenty of food or water, you want to get it out of the stomach as quickly as possible. I tell people 12 oz of water.

Dave
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SharonG @ Jul 25 2006, 09:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 25 2006, 08:28 AM) *
Ibuprofen is pretty benign stuff...

I was told (by a nurse) to take ibuprofen with a lot of water since it's hard on the kidneys... is this not true? confused24.gif

Every drug we take is metabolized in some way. Lungs (breathed out) Kidneys (urination) Liver (processed by cytochrome P450 system or other enzymes) eliminated in urine or bile. Some are even sweated out.

While it is true that Ibuprofen is eliminated by the kidneys, I don't think that is a problem for normal kidneys with normal doses.

This nurse may have had other reasons for wanting you to drink more. Fever, dehydration, history of high blood pressure, etc...

It is always good advice to drink lots of water. Americans in particular tend to drink lots of stuff that causes a net loss in fluid. caffiene containing fluids etc.

Air_Cooled_Nut
More examples of the "etc." stated above
beer.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif drunk.gif

biggrin.gif
tdgray
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Jul 25 2006, 12:22 PM) *

I hate cytochrome P-450.

Dave

Do you have to scrap that stuff off your floor pans?

Can I POR15 over it. confused24.gif

What if I get it on my Hootus huh.gif

Will it eat the paint off my 911 blink.gif
DNHunt
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Jul 25 2006, 09:31 AM) *

More examples of the "etc." stated above
beer.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif drunk.gif

Unfortunately, alcohol is not a good thing to mix with anything metabolized in the liver, especially Tylenol (acetaminophen) unless you want to take a chance on a new liver.

Dave

biggrin.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.