Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cool Suits...do they work and how do you fish the water lines?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
nine14cats
I'm thinking of ordering a cool suit tomorrow and having it overnighted to me before this weekends time trial at Thunderhill. It's supposed to be somewhere ~100 degrees ambient which means sizzle city in the car. I was at Buttonwillow last month when it was 106 degrees and the track was somewhere around 120 degrees according to the pyro.

Do the cool suit shirts work and how do you run the coolant lines out of your fire suit? Do you need to have a hole stiched into it or do you unzip your from the bottom?

Hopefully there is one in stock close if I can get it to me by Thursday.

Thanks,

Bill P.
DanT
I know that Chris Murray and John Beck both use some sort of cool shirt/suit set up.

When they get out of their cars they don't look a whole lot cooler than the rest of us smile.gif sad.gif confused24.gif
nine14cats
The budget racer setup is ~$500 once you throw in an extra shirt for 2 day events plus the mounting hardware...that's the cheap version. blink.gif

That's why I want to know if they really work or not. The budget racer setup has an 8 quart capacity, the "pro" series has 16 quart capacity.

Or do I just keep t-shirts in the ice chest, throw on a cold one before every session and tighten the belts? It sounds cheaper..... laugh.gif

Bill P.
Trekkor
I always see them in stock at Wine Country Motorsports.

I was dunking my head sock and t-shirt in cold water before each session at TH.
Also, a lot of walking throught the outdoor shower/cooling station along the back straight between 13 and 14.

A wet cloth with those gel-packs in the folds works really nice on the neck. I had a fresh set for each session at Sears.

Also, pour water down the front and back of your suit.

KT
DanT
I use the cold wet towel on the neck...works pretty well and it is a lot less than $500.

A couple of years ago when I was working with Chet we called a 911 in that was leaking fluid from the front of the car....

After checking we found he had a cool suit with the ice chest/water and pump in the front trunk and every time he cornered the water would slosh out of the cooler into the trunk and out the drain holes in the bottom of the trunk... sad.gif

Made him seal the lid of the cooler so he wasn't dumping water on the track....maybe that is the "budget setup"? confused24.gif

Unless you were going to do endurance racing in extreme heat, the outlay of cash seems to would not to be commensurate with the return of function....

Cold "T" shirt seems much more "budget" to me biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Jul 24 2006, 09:23 PM) *

I'm thinking of ordering a cool suit tomorrow and having it overnighted to me before this weekends time trial at Thunderhill. It's supposed to be somewhere ~100 degrees ambient which means sizzle city in the car. I was at Buttonwillow last month when it was 106 degrees and the track was somewhere around 120 degrees according to the pyro.

Do the cool suit shirts work and how do you run the coolant lines out of your fire suit? Do you need to have a hole stiched into it or do you unzip your from the bottom?

Thanks,

Bill P.

Bill,

When you get the answer to your question about WHERE and HOW you plug it in I'd love to hear, but promise not to snicker. biggrin.gif

BTW they have one that uses some sort of aerosal can to top up the cool fluid before each session. They don't work quite as well as plugged in version, but they are cheaper and might make a huge difference.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productse...0&iorb=4764
Van914
Bill P.,
Yes the cool shirts work great. We use them every time on the track. To fish the lines in your suit you cut the pocket and fish the line from the shirt out of it. We also sell the Cool Shirts at the PCA Races. If you want a quote PM me and I will get you one. I should be able to save you some $. They will last a little over a hour in 90 degree weather.
Van914
Randal
QUOTE(Van914 @ Jul 25 2006, 04:31 AM) *

Bill P.,
Yes the cool shirts work great. We use them every time on the track. To fish the lines in your suit you cut the pocket and fish the line from the shirt out of it. We also sell the Cool Shirts at the PCA Races. If you want a quote PM me and I will get you one. I should be able to save you some $. They will last a little over a hour in 90 degree weather.
Van914

So your talking about the cool suit that you re-charge (for lack of better words) and that one will keep you cool for an hour??
drew365
How do you mount the cooler in the car? Are there brackets to bolt it in solid? How much does the cooler weigh?
brant
QUOTE(drew365 @ Jul 25 2006, 08:39 AM) *

How do you mount the cooler in the car? Are there brackets to bolt it in solid? How much does the cooler weigh?

The coolers (cheap version) are 6pack sized.
most people I've seen fabricate their own brackets, although I'm sure they will sell you one also.

but you've hit on my big dilema.
they turn to water through out the day.
so your running another gallon+ of water plus electricity for the pump, wiring, pump, lines... 20lbs.

I have been debating this for nearly 2 years.
The cooling is supposed to be VERY significant and comfortable.
much better than the wet t-shirt (that I also use)
but it kills me to add 20lbs to the car

brant
john rogers
I have had one for about two years and it is great. I route the lines out the lower part of the zipper in front. That makes for some rude comments at the track and kids sometimes stare but it sure is worth it. I use a manual switch so I can turn the pump on/off as needed instead of their supplied switch.
Randal
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Jul 24 2006, 09:23 PM) *

Thanks,

Bill P.

Aftertalking to the owner of the company I decided to buy one as well. I'm going to try the aersol verson first and see how it works.

Will report later.
McMark
On a hot day the 20 lbs is probably offset by the increase in focus at the end of a long hot day. idea.gif
Randal
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 26 2006, 11:43 PM) *

On a hot day the 20 lbs is probably offset by the increase in focus at the end of a long hot day. idea.gif

Well it is a scientific fact that heat will decrease ones ability to focus.

And you don't have to wait long to reap the benefits of staying cool. dry.gif
grantsfo
My "Cool Suit" solution. When its hot show up in the Mazdaspeed 6, turn on tempreture control to 60 degrees. Chill out.
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 27 2006, 08:57 AM) *

My "Cool Suit" solution. When its hot show up in the Mazdaspeed 6, turn on tempreture control to 60 degrees. Chill out.

Right.

I must admit that I sure appreciated all those cars on Saturday (Candlestick AutoX training shool) that had their AC on. Even a few minutes helped reduce the cooking process.
GaroldShaffer
Not sure how well this would work, but why not just use a gallon size zip lock bag, fill it with enough ice that it will still lay flat and put in under the fire suit? When you are done take it out and pour the cold / cool water on yourself?
nebreitling
AX runs wouldn't be a big deal, but i would NOT run the AC for extended track sessions, unless you have good faith in your warranty. AC compressors are typically not designed to run at 5k+ rpm for sustain periods...
Brad Roberts
The cool suits work. I havent dealt with a professional racer that didnt have a firesuit setup ready to go.

All the systems I have installed where toggle switched within reach of the driver.

Some of them where installed through the crotch area, some of them where installed through the pocket.

The biggest issue with them: the fittings get worn and start leaking. They also break fairly easy. I suggest buying an extra set of the fittings.

EVERY time you fill the cooler with ice/water.. TAPE the lid down and around ALL the seams. This keeps it from leaking. We used the flip top style coolers instead of the type where the lid comes all the way off.

Next thing you know.. you'll have the water bottle with the electric pump and a button on the steering wheel next to your communications button!!

B
Brad Roberts
Nathan,

99% of the cars I have driven turn the compressor off at a certain RPM (typically high) I know my truck does it and I know the later model 986/996+ up all turn it off at full throttle or 5k rpm.

B
Brad Roberts
Here is a shot showing the water bottle line we used for Randy Pobst. Craig Stanton is helping him into the seat. I thought this picture showed the cool suit lines and cooler.

B
nebreitling
shit, you just want to show off a couple of top US road-racers...
Brad Roberts
Ha ha.. that wasnt the intention!!

I dont have any pics on my office supplied laptop..soo I have to go to web servers where I know I have pics hosted (and can recall the URL path)

Come south for an event. I'm sure you are good now.. wait until you get Craig Stanton to talk with you about vehicle dynamics.

Recently he taught me "pre settling" the car. BLEW ME AWAY how much faster into and out of corners I could go... and to the other racers around you that dont know.. they freak out. The cant understand why you are lighting the brake lights 100's of feet prior to the entrance of a corner..LOL

BTW: he drove the shitty Spec Racer Fords for several years.. to earn his "low powered I can drive wings"

B
Brad Roberts

I dont have any pics on my office supplied laptop..soo I have to go to web servers where I know I have pics hosted (and can recall the URL path)

Come south for an event. I'm sure you are good now.. wait until you get Craig Stanton to talk with you about vehicle dynamics.

Recently he taught me "pre settling" the car. BLEW ME AWAY how much faster into and out of corners I could go... and to the other racers around you that dont know.. they freak out. The cant understand why you are lighting the brake lights 100's of feet prior to the entrance of a corner..LOL

BTW: he drove the shitty Spec Racer Fords for several years.. to earn his "low powered I can drive wings"

B
Brad Roberts

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.